Monday, July 13, 2015

Transitioning, Interior Decorating, and the Unforeseen Benefits of a Bottomless Brunch.

I'll start by saying (which will be repeated FREQUENTLY) how much I missed all of you. My life has been in a bit of transition, paired with my computer finally breaking down, and not having the energy to buy another. The changes have been good, but I didn't want to half ass blog posts, so took a hiatus. That said, I missed reading what you all were doing, and will do my absolute best to get back into it! 

All it took was a drunken (autocorrect actually changes that too drunk enough, which is kind of fantastic) conversation to set in motion a completely new chapter in my life. 

Back in March, Anthony and I went to a bottomless brunch in Hell's Kitchen with another one of our close couple friends to celebrate the first day of spring**, on ironically a very snowy and cold day.  

**This was just a coincidence, we wanted to day drink. 

After bottomless mimosas, vodka seltzers, bloody Mary's, and beers (between the four of us -- I stuck with the mimosas), we headed back to our friends' apartment... And by headed I mean stumbled, where we decided we needed more drinks. 

During that time, our friends, who live together in their HK apartment asked the two of us - sneakily and separately - why we weren't moving in together. Both of us pretty much said the same thing - we weren't sure how either parents would react (we come from two sets of more old school families), and I wasn't sure he'd want to leave Hoboken, while he wasn't sure that since I own my place, if he could bring up moving in without it seeming opportunistic. 

In the end, on our drunken Uber ride home, Ant and I ended up talking about what was said - both of us said that we would love to live together, but had been too afraid to talk to the other about it. It was then decided that a drunken conversation about living together didn't necessarily bode well, so we agreed to pick up the conversation again in the morning (side note - benefit of day drinking: at this point, it was 8 PM, so we went to bed by 9 and slept through any possible hangover).

Both of us woke the next morning, terrified that the other had been a bit too incapacitated to think properly, so we were treading very lightly in regards to bringing up the conversation again. Once the door to the conversation was open, we both agreed that moving in together was what we wanted.

Shortly after that, in true Type A fashion, the two of sat together, legal pads in hand, and mapped out the finances, and who would be responsible for each aspect of the bills. It was a simple discussion and everything fell together quickly, which has definitely become the way that the entire move in process has been - seamless. 

From there, we each told our families, and to our surprise, we were met with enthusiasm and happiness over this huge decision. Another seamless transition, and one that really set everything in motion. 

We then felt more comfortable with discussing changes to blend our lives together, including getting a new sectional couch, versus the couch and loveseat that I had since buying the place, which turned into Ant building a new coffee table, buying new lamps, hanging things from his apartment into "our" apartment, and him building a desk (still in progress).

The progress, piece by piece. 

Lamps in boxes, chairs how they were for forever, old rug, but new beautiful coffee table made by Ant. 
 Lists and legal pads.
Boxes everywhere, pre shelf assembly.

 Car tetris, where we had a slight panic attack thinking bedroom furniture wasn't going to fit. 

Right after the new couch was delivered! 

I apologize for the slant - was trying to get everything in to one picture! (Ant's brother in law and basically all male friends are making fun of him for those letters, but I love them, and hello - blending). 


I have also compromised, since there are now swords hanging, a TV in the bedroom (only with Apple TV though so we don't hibernate there forever), and currently there are boxes scattered EVERYWHERE - but we're making it work and I love how it's all coming together.

We've been living together for about a month now, and there have bee adjustments, but we're making it work and taking everything in stride - swords on walls and all. 

For the entire time that I was living in this building, I really didn't do much to the outdoor balcony space. Within a month of living here, Ant strung lights up and really made the balcony a lot more cozy. We're now in the process of looking for a new outdoor loveseat. 




































There are still projects looming, but it's all coming together. 

The closet space is an adjustment, but is working out as best as can be expected in a small space.

Combining liquor = major advantage of living together (amongst many others).

Photo wall, coming together more and more.

And now, I have a set up space to be more on top of blogging! I've missed all of the wonderful people I've gotten to know and genuinely love through blogging. Bear with me as I settle back in to this new system. 


So moral of this story, is get drunk at brunch, because you could totally then transition that and move in with the love of your life. 

I've missed you all terribly - I promise to try to be more regular with posting and visiting your wonderful blogs. 

5 comments:

DEZMOND said...

love the bouquet in the first photo and the couch is gorgeous too!

HiFashion said...

What an exciting chapter of your life!!
All my important and best decisions come out when I'm super drunk too.

Elle Sees said...

missed you so!!! congrats on the news--this is great. i freaking love those letters and wish i had a bf so we could have letters!! but the sword...hehe. ah, blending. ;) everything is looking great. love the couch!!

B @ The Sequin Notebook said...

This made me SO happy to see you back in blogland! Also loved getting to see more of your place (can't wait to visit soon!). The liquor combination is a definite perk, and I really love how the photo wall is coming along :) You guys are the cutest!

Nikki said...

LOVE the A&A letters! Moving in and blending lives is so ineresting and figuring out how things will work out but seems like y'all have a good handle on things!