Monday, April 13, 2015

Music Motivation

I did not run all winter. As in, not at all. I think there was one day it went above 35 and I attempted a run and wanted to cry after running an 11 minute mile. I was more into the hot yoga this winter... or the Netflix and wine in yoga pants since this winter was fucking awful and so cold for ridiculously long amounts of time on end. 

I'm not good with easing into things - I promised myself that once it started hitting 40 degrees and above on a regular basis, I'd start running again. It's been an ugly start to the running season, with slower times than I'd like, but I'm also learning that I need to get more comfortable with distance versus worrying about timing the entire time.

I'm currently working on more interval runs to build speed, and will then go back into some tempo paced (when you're pushing harder than your average pace, not sprinting though) runs.

The biggest necessity to me getting back into running is an awesome playlist, so being inspired by the 72 degrees and sunny weather we're currently experiencing, these are some of my go-tos to get me up and moving! 

Outside - Calvin Harris and Ellie Goulding
So good - allows you to ease into the run and go for alternating a jog with a tempo run (I wait for the beat to kick up and increase my pace to match the flow of the song, dropping back down to a jog when it slows down).

Hot N**** - Bobby Shmurda

I love the beat of this song. It helps me to maintain a really steady pace while running.

Love is Gone - David Guetta (ft. Chris Willis)

Guetta can do no wrong in my book. This is another one that's great for maintaining a solid pace and keep you motivated to keep going. So, so good. The version with Fergie is also pretty awesome and just shows the diversity of one of my favorite French DJs. 

Runaway (U and I) (Kaskade Remix) - Galantis

Ugh, this song. It's perfect. Perfect for driving, perfect for one of the hot yoga/pilates sessions I went to where we had to do core workouts to the full duration of this song (it literally hurt to laugh after), and perfect for interval running because Kaskade is perfect and knows how to play with the tempo. One of my favorites of 2014 that is continuing to be a 2015 go-to.

Raise Your Weapon (Madeon Remix) - DeadMau5

Mau5 on his own is fantastic and brings incredible beats, so when Madeon remixes it makes for a perfect tempo run song.

Scream and Shout - Will.i.am and Brit Brit

This randomly came on today during my two-miler, and I almost said out loud, "I forgot how catchy this song is."

Heads Will Roll (A-Trak Remix) - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

THIS SONG is basically everything. I love it. It never fails to make me happy whenever I hear it on any type of mix or embedded in a DJ's podcast. It makes me happy, and therefore, makes me run faster, so it's a win on all levels.

S + M - Rihanna

Another one that I hear it and remember how much I love it. Plus, no matter what you're into, it will inspire you to look better naked.

Party it Up - DMX

I do not even believe you can listen to the first 4 seconds without getting amped.
Sorry for the lame YouTube video, but the real one was edited and I need my hip hop dirty when I'm working out.
They played this at a wedding the other night, and shit got REAL. I have never seen so many white people (myself included, who knows all the words to this) going HAM for DMX. Bring that same motivation to your workout, and it's a wrap.

Timber - Pitbull ft. Ke$ha

Another one that I hear and remember that I love. Say what you want about Pitbull, he can make a sick beat.

Straight Outta Compton - NWA

I don't know where my love of NWA came from and I don't want to know (can I also tell you how many bad remixes I had to listen to in order to find this real version?). This is a great one to practice sprints - I always pick a point in the distance and sprint there, then jog to recover, pick another point and go from there for a full song. This one does it for me, others need a heavier BPM.


What do you listen to when you work out? I get so tired of music so welcome suggestions and favorites! : )

Hope all is well - hoping to get back in the blogging groove now that winter depression is hopefully at its endpoint! xox

9 comments:

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

The fact that you run at all is amazing! I wish I had a fraction of your abilities, girl! And thanks, now I'm going to have Timber in my head forever ;)

Elle Sees said...

i swear by your music choices. and i was like idk that dmx song, but then it came on and i was like awwwww shitttttttt

Linds F. said...

You have some pretty kick-ass tracklists going on right there. I like the Galantis, love the beat and tempo. Thanks for some new tunes! :)

Jax said...

First off, I am so jealous that you run!!! I want to get into it, but I get bored so easily. Maybe I should download your killer playlist. I do love me some Britney Spears. Until then, I'll join you for wine and yoga pants. Hahaha

Kathy@RealTalk said...

my friend sent me a link to all the old DJ sets we heard when we were young, stupid ravers LOL. i listen to that stuff during my workouts because the music is still good!

HiFashion said...

I'm definitely using this playlist. I need to start running. I have a run this summer and I have NOT started training. I need motivation so hopefully this playlist will do it!

And yes - Pitbull can make one helluva song.

Gracey Williams said...

I was kind of trying to ignore the fact that I haven't gone on a run/done pilates in 4 days until I read this. I was convincing myself I keep "forgetting". I do have terrible shin splints at the moment that make running pretty hard. Ah well pilates it is. Thanks for the motivation!

Breakfast at Gracey's

Kizzy Von Doll said...

Yes to all of this music!! I just got new running shoes...well I don't run, but they were cool, so I got them any ways, haha!! Might have a run just because now :) Hope you've been well lovely xx

Kizzy Von Doll said...

Running at all is a achievement to me, haha!! I don't run. Our winter was horrid and wet, but I kept busy using the kettle bell and stuff like that. I hope you can get back into running easily, no doubt it will be sore for a bit. But, it will make you feel great again, winter is so draining on the well being. Have a wonderful Sunday and week to come my lovely xoxo