Friday, January 16, 2015

Leaving the Bad Week Behind.

This was written on Thursday, and will be published Friday, so I apologize in advance for past tense/shifted date terminology.

So, I've been having a really off week - one where I'm just miserable and no matter how many positive mantras I say, how much yoga I do, or how much I'm trying to look for the good in every situation, I just want to cry or punch someone in the back of the fucking head. 

There's nothing super major going on to warrant this down mentality (and I can't even blame it on PMS) besides work stress (we're currently developing completely new training materials and decks, which go through more revisions than I ever thought possible, on top of five hours worth of meetings every day), and silly things like going to plan my birthday and getting sucked into this game where I reflect on the friendships I've cut this past year. 

The work stress is well worth it, because we're building kick ass content and are learning about financial regulations and guidelines like the back of our hand because of all the revisions, but right now it just seems so cyclical and repetitive, while the task list continues to grow. The friendships that I chose to end this past year are all for the best too, since I'm being more and more surrounded by positivity, even if it means that the number in my circle has decreased a little. 

But sometimes it's okay to have an off day, or even an off week (as long as you don't actually punch someone in the back of the head) as long as you make a vow to shake it off (I work well with time frames, so I'm literally giving myself until tomorrow at noon to be in the shittiest mood ever, but for the weekend and next week, I need to start finding the good in situations and letting that manifest). 

So in the spirit of not allowing myself to be a little black storm cloud, I will be sweating it out in an intense hot yoga class for an hour and a half tonight, and focusing on these images to reinforce the fact that a shitty week is okay as long as I don't let it make me a shitty person, or dwell on things that I can't change while refusing to adjust my own attitude. 

Forreal though, the Free People "Write This Down" Pinterest board is some amazing inspiration and mantras for when you're feeling horrific.


Not only did typing this out really help me, but I made the conscious decision to get out of my horrible mood (especially since it was so all encompassing, that I had a really shitty yoga session - that's how in my head I was, it was physically causing me to be off balance). Today, the sun is shining, it's Friday, I've had amazing conversations, my hair looks good, and I have another fantastic weekend lined up. The bad week is behind me, but I know that it's okay that I had one.

How do you combat bad days? Share your tips! :) 

11 comments:

Brooke said...

I read something once that said if you're having a bad day you're supposed give yourself a short period of time to bask in your misery and then move on because life's too short. That's what I always try to do. Pinterest quotes are definitely helpful and my dog immediately cheers me up! Hope you're having a great weekend :)

HiFashion said...

Your week sounds like it was exactly like my week. It was absolutely horrific. We're in it together! I think a nice relaxing weekend, with yoga and long baths is what we need.

Amanda Elizabeth - Meet @ the Barre said...

Girl I had a very similar week that added in a very ugly cry session I totally feel you! I hope you had a good weekend to regroup and tackle this week with vengeance! xoxoxoxo

Kizzy Von Doll said...

So sorry you had a crappy time doll, sometimes some really uplifting quotes can warm the heart and make things better!! I have those weeks and I just end up in tears and I listen to music and read positive quotes and all feels better somehow!! I hope things brighten up for you...BIG BIG BIG hugs and love from me to you <3

Elle Sees said...

i'm sorry you are having an off week! and i'm glad you recognize it and that it will be over soon!!!

BLovedBoston said...

I'm sorry last week was so tough for you!! Honestly we all have those days or even weeks, but what I always repeat to myself when I'm stressed out is, will this matter in 5 years, if the answer is no I just move on!! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

Christina said...

I'm sorry about your bad week! I hope you're feeling that positivity and are back to your old self now! I'm in a funk too, and mine's going on at least three weeks. I'm overwhelmed and exhausted, which sometimes makes me unmotivated. I'm sick too and having surgery tomorrow, so I'm doing exactly what you said to do. I'm giving myself until Monday morning to sleep and watch TV and lounge and recover, then I'm up and at em, ready to tackle my life! Great quotes! I need to follow that board!

Couture Carrie said...

Awwww I feel for you, darling! Just remember that every day you get a fresh start. Love all these quotes... Totally inspirational!

xoxox,
CC

Sara Louise said...

Yep, sometimes we have those weeks, and they blow, they blow hard. But on the bright side (because I'm a bright side kind of girl), you have the right attitude! xx

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

Hope you are having a great weekend. I am so glad you posted this because I had a weird week. I felt trapped in a dark cloud and just reading this made me realize it's okay to feel this way and that I am not alone. Sounds weird but it made me happier; just a tad bit. Wish we'd live closer so I'd be coming over making sure I drag my butt to a yoga class with you. Hahaha. I can never do it myself. :( Boo.

Here's to a better week ahead!!!! For both of us.

Kari | The Kari Diaries said...

I love this! Not that you were having a bad week, just your belief that you can get through it. This is so true: "a shitty week is okay as long as I don't let it make me a shitty person"!
Also, thank you for introducing me to that pinterest board. I'm not obsessed :)