Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Happy Girls are the Prettiest.

In case you don't know, I am an enormous Audrey Hepburn fan. Not only was she flawlessly beautiful and a complete class act, but she said the most lovely things that have shaped so many Pinterest boards and mantras.

Generationally, we're in a completely different place from where Audrey was; a generation where Kim Kardashian is publishing a book of 300+ selfies (all in which she'll look absolutely perfect, thanks to genetics and airbrushing), or where we're inundated with images of various standards of beauty, so the war with self can just continue to grow and grow as we can easily compare ourselves to everyone with a Facebook or Instagram account. With all of these images or expectations of beauty slapping us in the face, it can be so easy to forget what really makes each and every one of us so beautiful.

So in case you need a reminder, here are some things you can do so that you will always be at your most gorgeous and continue to hold your head up high...

Smile. 
Really big and genuinely, whenever you can. Seriously - a real smile makes ANYONE so much more gorgeous.


Take responsibility for your actions. 
Seriously, if you can own up and admit when you've messed up, it shows that you're confident enough in yourself to be humble, which is such an attractive quality.

Be vulnerable.
Okay so confession - last week, I lost my shit for the first time and broke down crying in front of Anthony. This is NOT my default, because I don't like people to see the emotional side of me (I don't know why, I guess I just prefer being seen as a cold bitch versus someone with human emotions), however it ended up being such a bonding experience for us, and one where he said he loves me even more now.

When you're vulnerable, you're being truly you, and it's raw and you might not think it's pretty, but the people who love you will continue to love you and will appreciate that total honesty.

Say please and thank you.
Your parents taught you write - politeness really is a beautiful thing, especially in a time where we're all in a rush. It takes literally 1.25 seconds to say "thank you" to someone, and it goes a LONG way.

Get enough sleep. 
For real. The less sleep I get, the worse my skin looks, the worse I feel about myself. Shoot for at least 7 hours a night, if that's possible for you... if you can do less than that and look radiant, I hate you a little.

Exercise.
Not even to be "skinny," but to be healthy and treat your body with respect. Because you're gorgeous and you deserve to feel good, even if your version of exercise is twerking in front of your mirror to Nicki Minaj (sorry, am I alone in this?).

Treat yo self. 
Indulge - get a facial, drink really good wine, buy that outfit. Treat yourself well (within your budget) because you love yourself and you deserve.

Demand respect.
Don't ask for it - you DESERVE respect. Those who know their worth radiate that and it's ridiculously appealing.

Drink water.
A shit ton of it (that's a real measurement). My mother always told me to drink as much water as I could, and it really does make me feel so much better and get glowy.

Let go of shitty, succubus people.
When you keep negative people in your life, it takes a toll on you. This toll shows physically after a while - so seriously, when you can let go of those who drag you down, it really shows in your overall demeanor (which affects how you appear physically).

Anchor yourself to those who love you.
Unconditionally, no matter what you're wearing or how you're feeling. Surround yourself with positive people who see the beauty of life, and it makes you more beautiful by default.

Laugh.
Loudly, whenever you can, without shame. Because you are adorable when you laugh (I try to convince myself that even my snort laugh makes me that much more beautiful).

Improve your vocabulary, stay up to date on current events, read a book.
Intelligence is sexy.

Get a hobby.
Something you love, that makes you happy, that you light up when you speak about because it's yours and where you find your inspiration.

Don't listen to negativity from people who don't matter.
The world is tough - people can be cruel. Know who you are, listen to how the people who love you feel about you, and forget the rest of the noise of bitter people trying to knock you down. Insecurity tries to snatch your security from you - don't let it in.

BE YOURSELF.
And never apologize for it.

What do you think makes someone the most beautiful? And what makes YOU feel the most gorgeous?

Currently: Watching The Wolf of Wall Street, while charging every single electronic device that I own just in case of the impending blizzard and potential power outages. 

12 comments:

Kathy@RealTalk said...

SUPPORT -- ALL OF THIS.

sleep, exercise, TREAT YO SELF, loving yourself -- all things that give a person confidence. when you love yourself, it shows and people will want to be around you!

Jax said...

We didn't get hit too bad in Nassau. Well, at least not as bad as they predicted.

I absolutely LOVE this list. In fact, I am about to Tweet it. Haha Smiling is such a huge part of being beautiful. These are such great tips. I need to get back into exercising. You are right that it's not all about losing weight. Exercise just makes you feel better.

Hope the storm didn't bury you!!

Shenine joon said...

Pretty sure this is the best post I've read all day! You started with Audrey and who doesn't LOVE her!! She is the epitome of class and I love quotes by her. Smiling, laughter and love...I'm all about it. Great post. Saving this one for sure.

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

Love this post. I so agree with the vocabulary {improving this year by not cursing too much, since at times I can be a potty mouth}, and that intelligence is sexy. The more you know the better...have an open mind and live life in all aspects. There's more but don't want to spam the comment...haha. :)

Have a great day, and stay warm!

BLovedBoston said...

This post is prefect!! I think our generation puts so much more pressure on ourselves than our mother's generations or even our grandmother's generation and obviously times are different, but at the core I don't think we are at all! I plan to try to incorporate some of your tips into my everyday life!! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

Kizzy Von Doll said...

I fully support all of this!! Pay no attention to this world at the moment that tries to sell us these modified perfect people because none of it is real and will never be real. We have to make our own happiness and own it!! Life is too short getting caught up in dramas and other such things too. Laughing is a great medicine, love to laugh!! So fantastic my dear :))) Xxxxx

Brooke said...

Yes! I absolutely love this post. I think that confidence, kindness and a sense of humour are key :) My daily cups of warm lemon water make me feel pretty good too!

HiFashion said...

I am such a fan of Audrey's quotes. And your advice is the best. I've been trying to smile and laugh more these days, and I've noticed a huge improvement.

Christina said...

What a great post, once again! I love and agree with every single thing!!! The sad thing is, I know all this to be true and still have a hard time working it into my life. Especially when it comes to getting enough sleep. Great reminders!

Stephanie Smallsen said...

I love this post and swear by all of it too! Great reminder of the necessities of a happy life :)

Marcia B. said...

loving all these inspirational tips, I must exercise.

Kari | The Kari Diaries said...

I agree with so many of these tips! Especially the idea of eating cake because it's someone's anniversary somewhere. Haha!
Going off of smiling I think another really great confidence booster is dressing up and taking an awesome selfie. That way whenever you're questioning your looks or feeling unattractive, you can look at the photo and remember "this is me." Ya know?