Wednesday, August 13, 2014

June & July Recapping.

I am never going to be able to stay on top of blogging - I've realized that after trying to play catch up way too many times. Since blogging isn't my full time job, I figure that it really doesn't matter how often I post, as long as my heart is really into it. 

That being said, this summer has been a rollercoaster, but there have been some absolutely incredible happenings. 

1. First, I was a date to a wedding. It was my first same sex, friendship wedding date, and this was definitely perfect.
Never have I cared less about: how much I ate, how much I drank (hello, old fashioned and making friends with the bartenders who bought our love and tips with shots that they insisted upon taking with us), how stupid I look when I dance, etc. I ate like a pig, filled TWO plates with dessert, and have never felt happier at a wedding. 

Hey, date.
 Typical. I've obviously never looked better. 

2. Breweries and burritos. 

Edwin, Justin, Sara and I went down to Carton Brewery in the controversial Central Jersey (controversial because New Jerseyians constantly debate over whether Central Jersey is actually a thing, or if it's South Jersey in disguise). We headed down the hour + drive early on a Saturday morning, and I'm telling you - you know you have your best friends in the car when the car ride down is just filled with jokes and nonstop laughing about everything and anything. Plus, getting to Central Jersey, where all of a sudden you are in hickville with strip clubs called Fantasie's, is always an adventure.

Carton is teeny tiny and the tasting room looks like someone's Williamsburg loft. We were there for hours trying different beers (including a salted vegetable ale that made me want to projectile vomit). 

From there, we went to 10th Ave Burrito in Belmar, NJ, where Ed and I go often when working races down the shore. It was on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives, which I don't watch, but is apparently a very big deal, and they have incredible margaritas and burritos, which is something that appeals very highly to me.


3. The end of summer school.

I know I bitched about work, but my summer school crew ended up being flawless (minus one student who likes to write essays on his sex addiction, etc. for shock value - homie, I'm not shocked by anything you have to say).
On our last day, since they all know I won't be their teacher next year (I'm moving to a different department), they threw me a surprise party, filled with heartfelt notes and lots of gifts/surprises. Plus, out of the four students who took the GED, all four passed it, which was extra rewarding. 


 A MOCHA cake, made just for me as a surprise..
"Yo miss, we know you love coffee and desserts, so we got you the best of both." 

I have never been more convinced I look like a student versus a teacher.

This is more typical - me giving resting bitchface to a student starting up about some nonsense. 

4. Birthdays.

My parents have July birthdays, so we always have fun celebrations for both of them. For my mom's birthday, my dad hired our neighbor, who is fresh out of culinary school at Johnson and Wales, to make my mom a blackout cake, which was the best chocolate cake I've ever had in my life (and I do NOT usually like chocolate cake). I took my mom and dad to a local cafe for brunch, and then to a mother/son owned pie shop, which was amazing. 


5. Races

I now work on timing and scoring for road races, and it's amazing. You get to meet a ton of people, get to go to all the after parties, and everything is comped. We worked a race in Belmar (two years in a row - this year I didn't pass out - read: blackout - at 6 p.m., and actually made it until 11 p.m.!), and it's always insanity and filled with food and (too many) drinks and shots. Once a year is about all I can handle, no joke. 

Please take note that the little neon glasses are shot glasses, that had lemon drop shots in them. Ugh. I legitimately detoxed for 2 weeks after this. 

6. Portugal/Ireland pre World Cup friendly game.

I've been a Portugal soccer fan for forever - well, since high school when I thought one of the players (not Ronaldo) was super hot, and I've followed them religiously ever since - I even subscribe to the soccer channel. For a friend's birthday, he wanted to go to the Portugal/Ireland pre-World Cup friendly game at MetLife stadium in NJ. Obviously I was in, and we had a night of beers, cigars, and futbol. Yes, please. 


Probably my first and last cigar, ever. 
 

 And that has been my June and July in a nutshell, with an overload of pictures. 
What have been your favorite things this summer?

9 comments:

Kizzy Von Doll said...

Looks like June-July were wonderful and filled with a lot of great memories :)) Loved all these pictures, the one with your students is funny, the card one of them gave you was really priceless!! I hope the next two months are filled with even more happiness too. Happy day doll xx

Elle Sees said...

my summer has been seriously lacking! and i tried a cigar once and puked, so that was my first and last!

henning love said...

the best part of birthdays are the cake!!! how was the cigar? would you have one again?

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

you had a busy and fun june/july!

i don't like the smell of cigars when they're burning but when their unburned, i can smell them all day!

thanks for linking up!
-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Rebecca Harasym said...

Wow! You seriously had a very busy June and July! Loved seeing all your adventures! So awesome to hear that you had a blast at the wedding and ate 2 desserts! Thats what it is all about! :) You looked fabulous!

Rebecca
www.winnipegstyle.ca

HiFashion said...

Sounds like an amazing early summer. You look great in the wedding pics! I have a wedding coming up in a few months where I have a female date, which I'm excited for!
And that football (soccer) game must have been amazing to go to!

B @ The Sequin Notebook said...

Wow, you definitely squeezed a lot of fun into the past few months! I'm a fellow NYC gal but I'm originally from Central Jersey (it's a real thing, I promise!), and have never heard of that brewery before...I'll have to check it out the next time I visit my parents :)

Head to Toe Chic said...

Sounds like you've been having such a fun summer! That wedding sounds like it was amazing :)

xo,
Angela

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

How sweet of them to get you a cake - and well deserved!! Mmm so many delis looking sweets. WHEN you come to LA I'm gonna take you for a burrito. We love our Mexican food down here :)