Saturday, August 9, 2014

French Road Trip, Part One.

I've been (slowly) recapping the trip that Edwin and I took to France in April (ahh, it's been so long since we've been there!), and it's about that time to move onto the second leg of our adventure there (you can catch up on the most recent post here). 

We ended our time in Paris by going out to dinner and trying escargot for the first time (which tasted like pesto), eating macarons at our apartment, browsing the streets of Alésia, then going back for petit déjeuner to Les Frangines, our neighborhood haunt, for our usual breakfast. 



Pierre Hermé, j'adore. 

We went the week of Easter, so all the chocolatiers had their Easter chocolates displayed.

One of my favorite pictures from the trip. I'm obsessed with wisteria. 

Bonjour, Les Frangines et pain au chocolate. 
The bar at Les Frangines. 

After breakfast, we packed the essentials, and then headed for the CAR RENTAL AGENCY because yes, Edwin and I rented a car to travel to the French countryside, four plus hours away. 

Bye, apartment.

I was the camera person, because I can't drive a manual car (my dad tried to teach me on his M5 and told me I could drive it if I mastered driving manual, and even that was not motivation for me to ever learn). It worked out because I got some awesome pictures from along the way. 

We found out later on that the fields of yellow flowers were not just to make the country pretty - the flowers are harvested and used to make oil! 

For every part of our journey, we stopped someone along the road and had a roadside picnic of our typical bread, cheese, and wine. 

From there, we were back on the road heading to the medieval village of Troyes. Even being on the road in France was better than New Jersey driving (shocker, I know!).

The hardest part about driving in France was that the traffic lights are over on the side of the road - this was a little confusing since it's just not what we were used to, but we made it work.

Fun Radio became our best friend - it was France's trance station and was amazing. Plus, it was pretty badass to come home and know about a ton of songs before everyone else (I know, that's very hipster of me to say).

Our welcoming committee once we finally arrived in Troyes, three hours later.

I'm still obsessed with the architecture of Troyes - which you'll all be seeing a LOT more of in future posts because I took a kagillion pictures during our one day in Troyes.
 

What's the best road trip you've ever been on, and what are your road trip essentials? 
More recapping to come! Happy weekend, loves. 


12 comments:

Couture Carrie said...

What an amazing road trip, darling!
Love your pics!

xoxox,
CC

Tali N said...

I see that You had a great trip! everything look amazing and it's always fun to see other people adventures. great food and locations
Xo Tali
www.thepisceswoman.com

HiFashion said...

All that food looks amazing!! I nearly licked my screen at those macaroons and I swear I can smell croissants now.

Kizzy Von Doll said...

This looked so wonderful, love road trips :)))) xx

Elle Sees said...

love your recaps, as usual! did they have red solo cups there or did you bring them? what an awesome time!

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

yes to all of this! sounds like a wonderful, gorgeous, amazing city in france. actually, pretty much any city in europe takes my breath away. road tripping in foreign cities is exhilarating and exciting and frustrating at the same time as you figure things out but have to laugh at all the stuff you mess up.

had our best road trip when we toured italy. we rented a tiny little smart car and drove to different cities. italy is nuts - in some cities (ie. florence), the street signs are part of the buildings so we were driving around looking for them and thinking: how can anyone find any place? THERE AREN'T ANY STREET SIGNS!!

they also have a crap load of rotundas which are awesome but not awesome when the residents put up their own signs at each off-shoot so there are like, 40 different signs at each of the off-shoots (there are anywhere from 5-8) and with everyone going at minimum 50mph and riding your ass, you have got to know where you're going because they're aggressive as hell. we were on those rotundas for about 30mins as my husband drove and i would try and read the signs as fast as i could. we laughed the whole time and by laughed, i obviously mean partially cry.

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Carly Blogs Here said...

All those flowers!! I think I would be in heaven, it looks like you guys saw some beautiful places-- so nice to be able to drive yourself and stop where you like without being tied to a group! Love the photo of the bread and wine in the park!

Liz @ Fitness Blondie said...

It was so fun reading this. I can't imagine going to Paris. I am so terrified of flying over the ocean (I know, weird) so I loved seeing this because I don't know if I will ever have the chance. First, it amazes me how different Paris looks from America. The buildings, landscapes... it' so antique and beautiful. Why did you guys stay in an apartment as opposed to a hotel? Just curious :) The food looks so divine an authentic too. I feel like America lacks that so much sometimes. Now I kind of want a Fiat, haha. That little car looks great! And how brave of him to drive in another country! France's country side looks soooooooooo beautiful.

Head to Toe Chic said...

Looks like such an amazing trip, and your pictures are gorgeous!

xo,
Angela

henning love said...

i should have asked you to bring back from macarons for me! they look delish

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness, yum and so pretty! I have never been on a proper road trip but if/when I do go I hope it is like yours!

Sienna said...

oh my god i miss france so much, i want the pain au chocolat!! what a great experience