Friday, January 31, 2014

Juggling the Holidays Part Dos/Deux.

Anyway, Christmas Eve in my family has never been a huge thing. When I was younger, we would go to mass, set out our stockings for Santa (along with cookies and milk, as well as a carrot for the reindeer), and then would watch a holiday movie and go to bed. That's really all I ever knew, until I started dating an Italian guy when I was in high school and was introduced to an Italian Christmas Eve (the feast of the seven fishes), which is incredibly intense. 

This year, I spent Christmas Eve with friends and my second family. 

"Let's play Kings... with wine!" = worst idea ever. 

One of our Kings rules was that if you broke a rule, you had to put your chin on the table until someone else broke a rule. This was a horrible, mean, cruel rule to make - but a hysterical one (especially since the others included that you were not able to point at anyone, you had to call everyone Lord or Lady, and you could not use anyone's real name.. I was Lady BS - for beautiful sweater, of course and Edwin's brother was Lord Shinyhead - we get creative).

After we were way too many hands into Kings, we realized that it was midnight, which meant that Santa was arriving. He called all the kids out first, gave them each one of their gifts, and then they went back downstairs, while the adults exchanged their Secret Santa gifts (I wound up with an infinity scarf, so major win!).

Lucky me, sitting on Santa's lap where I assured him that yes, I have been pretty good this year. I was not expecting to have to sit on his lap though, so that was quite the experience.

I go to my parents the next day, for gifts and a TON of food.

My mom always decorates the casual dining room beautifully.

While the dining room is spotless, the great room and the angel on the tree in there could use some work (or I was too many beers in when I took this).

We still do stockings too, and my mom makes us each go in order (from youngest to oldest), and open ONE gift. Then we go around the room until our stockings are empty, so that we can each see and comment on what each other got. It takes a longggg time, but I get the sentiment behind it.

Cooper was very impatient.

He didn't even want to watch me open up the gift he picked out for me. Rude.

 Patrick got new snowboarding boots (and a new Burton board, not pictured because it was put onto his roof rack, and I was not about to go out there on a 23 degree day to photograph it).

We spent the rest of the time (before and after Edwin arriving) drinking, playing Catchphrase, and talking about our favorite gifts.

My dad and his friends go somewhere in South Jersey and stomp grapes, bottle their own wine - really have the whole winemaking experience. He kept trying to get us to drink his wine (he has a case!), but we passed and focused on the beer.

If you can still find this somewhere, pick it up. It's AMAZING!

Allagash.

My high school friend and I also wrapped up the day by speaking to each other ONLY in quotes from Elf. This lasted from Christmas Eve through the end of Christmas Day. We've already planned that next year, our quotable movie is Home Alone. Bring it on, ya filthy animal. 

So, over a month late, but it's better late than never, right? 
Are you missing the holidays? (or playing catch-up like me?).

Currently: Trying to push through work, despite a massive sinus headache.

8 comments:

The Dainty Dolls House said...

This looked like a heck of a lot of fun doll...am happy everyone got together for Christmas :) Holidays sound nice right about now, haha. Can't wait till summer or spring break I should say!! You should come to Scotland, see Edinburgh where the author of the book was born, I think you'd love it really :)) Have a gorgeous weekend my sweet xx p.s. thank you for the sweet compliments, so kind. You're gorgeous too xx

lauren @ la petite fashionista said...

Your making me miss the holidays! i had a whirlwind christmas this year! I spent christmas eve + morning with kyle at his family's farm and then had to jump on a plane on christmas day to fly to FL- talk about a change in temperature! it was fun to extend it as long as possible :)

IamSuperMelski said...

I've still got the holiday hangover. I love the photos. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

Elle Sees said...

loved seeing your recap and how you do the holidays!

Sara Louise said...

Your family's Christmas table is indeed beautiful!
Love the Elf texts :)

Margarita Bloom said...

What a wonderful family! Looks like you guys know how to have fun! :)

- Gina
Margarita Bloom: Retro Modern Beauty & Skincare
Blog♡ http://margaritabloom-glamourville.blogspot.com
Facebook♡ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Margarita-Bloom/28087812273?ref=mf
Twitter♡ https://twitter.com/MargaritaBloom

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

My Christmas experience is similar to yours but more casual. And we fight and someone cries as we open gifts bahahahaha! I've always wanted to experience a formal dinner at a pretty table. Next year I'll just drop by your place ;)

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

What a beautiful Christmas! and that King's rule is awesome! I've never played a game where that is the rule and I'm totally going to have to use it some time!