Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankful.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, hands down. Anything that revolves around a lot of food, friends/family, and reflection on what we're grateful for just makes me happy. 

I've been in a little bit of a negative zone as of late - work has put a tremendous amount of negative energy into my life recently, there are things in my personal life that are just piling up and seemingly endless, etc., but I love that I am able to push all of that aside and forget about all the bad things when I start to brainstorm the things that I'm thankful or happy for.

It's necessary, because sometimes my life feels like this:

I asked my students to write about something they're thankful for and one of them wrote, "coffee." This student was chastised by the rest of the class because they all said, "That's ridiculous! You should have put down family, etc." (okay, okay - I teach in an inner city - there were other adjectives they used besides ridiculous).

I told her that if coffee is what can help her get her day going, if it's something simple that brings her joy - she has every right to be thankful for coffee (because God, I am so thankful for coffee). 

On days when I'm feeling low or upset/frustrated, I've been writing down ANYTHING that I'm thankful for. I set a timer for three minutes, and I just jot down anything that comes to mind so that I can focus on being positive versus negative.

The important thing is to take the time to realize that no matter how much life is sucking at the moment, there are things, people, memories, instantaneous circumstances, that can make you happy. To me, when I think of the things, people, places that I'm thankful for, it always brings me the biggest sense of joy - which then becomes something else that I'm thankful for.

This year, I'm thankful for...

Coffee.

My family, because even though they drive me up the damn wall, I know they'll always be there for me and that they mean well in the long run. Plus, they're hysterical.
 

My condo, and the fact that it comes with a heated garage.
It's been 30 degrees as a high this week - knowing my car swears to me that it's 65, and therefore heats up quickly is amazing, especially coming from my parent's house where I did not make the garage cut.


Music.
I am listening to music at least 50% of my day. Nothing makes me happier than a great artist or song.

Wine.

Ryan Gosling.
I am just so thankful he is alive and perfect.

Friends.
Because I really do have the greatest friends, who are there for me always and make a point of checking in.

Literature.
Give me a good poem (and a good glass of wine), or a great book (and great cup of coffee), and I am set for an afternoon. I'm so thankful that I have a love of reading, and of teaching it.


Craft beer.


My job.
Another instance of something that is a pain in my ass 75% of the time, but that deep down, I truly love and am so grateful for.

Defiant.
This is the brewery that Edwin and I go to every single Sunday without fail. Being a regular at a brewery means that you get to try new beers, that they have your food order committed to memory, and if someone bothers you, it's a very big deal.

My man.
Another case of someone being a pain in the ass, but who I love. Just kidding - mostly.

Games.
My friends have been so into game playing lately, and I am all about it. Between trivia (which was the bulk of my Maine trip), board game nights, playing "werewolves", which is the complicated version of Mafia, and attempting to play some game from New Girl called True American - it's been real.

Oktoberfest.
Which will get a designated post, because it was the best two Saturdays ever.
 

There really is so much I'm thankful for - I could write a novel with the things that I have scrawled in my journal, but these are the biggies and the ones that have repeated.

What are some of the big and little things you're most thankful for this year?

I love you all - and it should go without saying that I'm thankful for all of you and the relationships that have been formed with so many of us. You're the best - enjoy the day!

Currently: Watching Modern Family with Edwin - one of the people I'm most thankful for. 

10 comments:

Courtney said...

Happy Thanksgiving my dear! :) Hopefully this year will lead our paths together in real life, not just electronically!

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

awesome list to be thankful for!!

it's been freezing here too; today is -3C as the high, oh joy.

i totally agree - choose positivity and happiness! this life is too short to live in misery and negativity so CHOOSE HAPPY and you will be :)

happy thanksgiving!!

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Lots to be thankful for doll!! I hope you had a gorgeous Thanksgiving. I love this time, I miss being at home in the states at Thanksgiving, but that's ok. I am thankful for everyone there. And for my family and friends. And home, even though i hate cleaning & it seems I must do it every day - if not every hour, haha. My daughters even when they throw tantrums, they always make me laugh and hugs from them heal a thousand wounds. I couldn't live without them. Books and music, yes yes...always in need of those :))) Life is filled with things to be greatful for, I just wish more people took time out to look at them every day instead of just one!! Have a gorgeous weekend doll xx

Rebecca Harasym said...

What a beautiful list of things to be thankful for! You have a lot! I know we all get down every now and then but making a list is a great way to get out of the sad rut!

Rebecca
www.winnipegstyle.ca

HiFashion said...

I love everything you're thankful for. Reading your post made me smile and think about what I'm thankful for. Friends and family for sure! And gin!!! And yes, I'm thankful for Ryan Gosling.

Nicole Linette said...

What a fantastic Thanksgiving post! It's certainly the day for the large people and events to be acknowledged, but I'm down with you for throwing our hands up for the little things, day-to-day that keep us going. When I'm down I always try to write at least 3 things from that moment I am thankful for as well. Haha, and when I was in China, I made a daily "Fuck yeah, China!" list, because as you know life there is definitely not the easiest.

But if it were all easy, that would take the magic out of our breaks and weekends, rights? :)

Looking forward to virtually sharing another holiday season with you! xo,
nicole.

Sharon (Style-Chameleon) said...

I really should make a list with the things I'm happy about too!



www.style-chameleon.com

WIN 100 EUROS TO SPEND ON BAGS!!!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

i must agree with all of these things! happy belated turkey day!

Sara Louise said...

These are all things that are perfectly acceptable to be thankful for all year long, especially coffee and the heated garage xo

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Aw I love this post! So many wonderful things! Please come out to Seattle - we will treat you with amazing coffee everyday! :)