Thursday, November 14, 2013

Summer, Part Deux.

My last summer post didn't even get us remotely into August - this is why I absolutely need to do things as they happen, versus playing catch up after the fact! So many fun things happened though, that I know I'm going to want to look back on. 

This post is going to be VERY photo-heavy, so I apologize in advance! 

1. The Guster/Ben Folds concert.

Oh my god, to put it mildly, Edwin and his two best friends are OBSESSED with the band Guster. I think they've each seen them play like, 10 times? Maybe more, but I don't think it could possibly be any less than that. When the boys found out that Guster were playing at PNC in south Jersey on July 20, they bought tickets (in MARCH) for the show, for all of us to go. I like Guster (and the majority of my listens to them was from The OC), but wasn't a big Guster superfan, but then I found out that Ben Folds was also playing with them, which upped my excitement to a huge degree. 

We got there super early and tailgated, which included a remix of the beer + Twizzlers phenomenon, which was just as good as ever. 

When we got into the show, people from PNC were selling upgraded tickets, so after we found our standing seats (in the grass, up on a hill) Justin decided to go check to see what the deal with the tickets was. Turns out, for $10 more each, we were moved from the standing area (which was in direct sunlight, on a 100 degree July day) to the sixth row! It was incredible, and the boys were so adorable and excited. 

View from the sixth row:

After Guster and Ben Folds' set, while they were transitioning, we were made aware by Justin's date that Guster was playing an acoustic mini concert on an off-section of PNC. We hurried over there and got to hear four more songs of theirs, and Edwin and I met each of the band members, then got a picture (and I got a hug) with the drummer. They were incredibly accommodating and stayed to make sure that everyone had been taken care of.  When we got back to our seats and looked to the side, they were all sitting in our row! 

It was a really great show and night, which definitely made me very open for the back to back Guster shows Edwin, Justin, and I are going to Thanksgiving weekend in Brooklyn. 

2. August then rolled around...
which brought another road race down the shore (this time just for the day, not an overnighter). Since Edwin was working alone, I tagged along and we made plans to hang out at the beach, go out to eat, etc. After the finish of the 5k (at 9:30 a.m.), word came out that all runners and workers of the road race were invited to a local bar for free brunch... and $2 Blue Moons. I'm not one to start drinking at 9:30 a.m., but for $2? Yes, please.

Tell me runners aren't the best athletes. 

After our way too early Blue Moons, we traveled more south to Point Pleasant, NJ to the Tiki Bar, which all our friends had raved about. It was pure Jersey Shore, ambiance wise, which is not a positive thing, but they did have delicious oysters, fish tacos, and fried green beans! All I want from life is more oysters. 

3. Portland, Maine. 

Edwin's other BFF moved up to Portland, Maine a few years ago, and since I've never been to Portland, and Edwin has been missing his best friend, we decided to go up to see Brian the day after our friend Sandy's wedding (which was the dumbest idea ever, since driving with a hangover is horrific for one hour, let alone 6+). Edwin and I stayed via Airbnb again, this time in a couple's home, which was different, but the house was pure Maine - and only a mile from Brian's, so we walked there every day. 

Early morning pancakes and home fries, while I cried over my hangover. 

I don't have a ton of pictures from up there, because we were just having such a fantastic time DOING things. We went to a ton of restaurants, bars, sights.. we played a ton of Trivial Pursuit, drank a lot of tea, drank more beer, and had so much fantastic vegetarian/vegan food. I was in awe of how veggie friendly of a city Portland is, and how easily walkable it was.

Our Airbnb home included breakfast every day - homemade scones, fresh yogurt, fresh fruit, and a Thermos of coffee. It was amazing - and came in the cutest picnic basket!

Our first stop (where we went again the next day) was Silly's, and if you are in Portland, you NEED to go there. We got a pitcher of Lobstah Ale, and I got the vegan grilled cheese, with caramelized onions, tomato, and mango coleslaw. 

The rest of the day included trips to Homegrown Teas, where we sat for over an hour loving every second of being in Sarah's adorable little tea shop. The tea was the greatest that I've ever had in my entire life, and everything is made on site by Sarah, the owner. It's another must if you're in the Portland area! 

Brian sleeps VERY late (read: noon at the earliest), and Edwin is up very early (read: 7 a.m., 7:30 latest). So we were up with nothing to do, so we decided to explore Portland and happened upon a Farmer's Market right near the house where we were staying!
(And I happened to run into my cousin, who is maybe the biggest asshole in the universe - and not in an endearing way, but that's neither here nor there.. it was the only negative aspect of the trip). 

This one table offered one kind of smoothie only, made just from seasonal fruits that were from their farm. It was the best smoothie ever, despite turning my entire mouth purple. 

We spent another night at Brian's friend's house where we BBQ'd, played Kan Jam, and laughed from the time we got there until the time that we left. 

The rest of the trip included eating a TON, laughing a lot, and walking the entire length of Portland (seriously). 

 Brunch from Local 188 - I have home fries, and a bagel with lox, because I was not about to break my Bagel Sunday tradition. 

We had J. Lo as our server at Local. 

We went to Silly's for milkshakes a second time, and after that we decided to wander, where we happened upon a used bookstore that was filled with awesome antiques. 

Our final Portland dinner was at a place called Flatbread, which served amazing pizzas and had an open kitchen with a huge brick oven. It was what dreams are made of. 

The "Punctuated Equilibrium" pizza - goat cheese, onions, olives, red pepper... we all decided that next time. we're ordering two of these. It was so damn good.

Did you go on any trips or see any concerts this summer? Have you ever been to Portland?

Phew, to finally catching up on summer posting!

Currently listening to: Dancing Shoes - Arctic Monkeys

15 comments:

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Flatbread is the best!! this post is making me so nostalgic for summer

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Looks amazing, all of this food would have been gone in my presence, haha!! Wonderful. Am glad you had such a great time. I hope you've been well doll!! Big hugs from me to you xxx

Elle Sees said...

ahhh such a fun summer! i love ben folds! loved all the pics and recap.

Sharon (Style-Chameleon) said...

It seems like you had a nice summer!



www.style-chameleon.com

PANDORA BRACELET GIVEAWAY!!!

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

sleeping until noon WHAT?! dang, my idea of sleeping in is until 6am! #oldpersonalert

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

fhenny said...

your summer looks amazing especially the concert!
xoxo
style frontier

HiFashion said...

We NEED to hang out one day. We essentially do the same things, but in different counties.

Green Tea and Cupcakes said...

Your summer looked fun, great music, great food and great company perfection!!!!

Nicole Linette said...

Flatbread and Silly's -- I visited there almost a year ago when I was in Portland! You had such a lovely summer and I hope your winter break is just as fantastic. I love that I'm legal now (:D)... I want to participate in all of these tours, and festivals, and booze-filled races!!

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving with Ed, your family, and friends if I don't talk to you otherwise :)

xo,
nicole.

Sara Louise said...

This has me missing summer so much, and missing New England even more! I'm a sucker for anything 'lobstah' :)

Rachel @ The Redhead Fashionista said...

This looks like so much fun! And all that food looks insanely delicious! It's making my mouth water. :)

xx Rachel
www.theredheadfashionista.com
www.thehautenotes.com

Rebecca Harasym said...

So many fabulous things you did this summer! It makes me miss the warm weather! The concerts looked like so much fun and so did the farmers market! I love to find all the great local things at those!

Rebecca
www.winnipegstyle.ca

lauren @ la petite fashionista said...

you two have the best adventures together! reminds me so much of me & kyle :) i am dying to take a spontaneous airbnb road trip too now!

Olivia Fuller said...

I was so happy to hear from you as well, love! I've missed your kind and thoughtful comments since I stopped posting, and I'm so glad to be getting back into it. I truly appreciate the support :).
Your summer looks like it was filled with fun times, sunshine, and good food! I haven't gotten a chance to get out to the west coast yet, but it's certainly something I plan to do. My boyfriend has a cousin living in Portland, so if we wind up visiting I'll have to check out your recommendations. I love a good farmer's market too, the city I work in has an awesome one in the summer. I hope you enjoy your Guster shows this coming weekend, and have a happy Thanksgiving! Also, I'm now following you on Instagram and Twitter :)!
xoxox
Olivia

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Beautiful post! I miss summer!