Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Best of Weddings.

There are certain friends of mine who have seriously found their perfect counterpart in their husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend, and it's just an absolute joy to spend time with them because they're just fun together.

This past August, I went to the wedding of my friend Sandy, who married the perfect guy for her. Sandy is easily one of the sweetest, most genuine people I've ever met. She's the type to send you a random text just to let you know that you're on her mind, or that it's been a while since we've last spoken. Her now husband is also one of the sweetest guys in the entire world - whenever I see him, I'm always greeted with a huge smile and him asking how work/life/etc. is going.

When the two of them got engaged, everything moved very quickly, thanks to Sandy's love of Pinterest and being extremely organized. We all went out to celebrate with the two of them a week and a half after their engagement, and Sandy had already found her two dresses (they had two weddings - one here and one in Switzerland, where a lot of her family lives), came up with color schemes, and had potential venues scoped out, with appointments that would be completed by the end of the month.

From the engagement on, every time I saw Sandy, she seemed 0% stressed. She insisted that she knew she was making the easiest and best decision for her life and she refused to get stressed and have that ruin any part of the planning process.

She also said the only thing that would ruin her wedding would be if people wore black dresses - she'd rather someone wear white than black to her big day, which immediately put me into full-on panic mode, since the basis of my closet is black everything.

I had my heart set on a teal or green dress to be extra summery, but since I put off dress shopping until the day before the wedding, the picks were very slim as most stores I went to were eliminating their summer clothes and bringing in fall clothes (read: dark colors).

Eventually I settled on a very hot pink Ralph Lauren dress (found at the LAST place that I went to try things on... naturally), and texted Sandy telling her that I hope she liked highlighter pink, because at least it wasn't black.

The ceremony space was lovely, even though it was a pretty rainy day.


I'm typically not a crier during weddings, but the two of them were just so damn cute and their personal vows were so touching, that I kept crying throughout. Instead of a unity candle or pouring sand into a jar, the two of them wrote each other letters, put the letters in a box (along with two bottles of wine), and nailed the box shut together. The purpose is that if they ever fight and it gets to the point where they can't remember why they ever got married to begin with, they're supposed to open the box, go into separate rooms to read the letters, and then come back, drink the wine and talk it out. I thought that was the sweetest thing I had ever heard of - and perfect for them.


The gorgeous (and fun!) newly married couple.

From there we went to cocktail hour,which was insanity. Cocktail hour is one of my favorite parts of weddings, and this one was honestly exceptional. Think, sushi bar, oyster bar, mashed potato bar, vodka station with an ice luge, sake bar... it was absolutely crazy and ridiculously delicious. 




After the cocktail hour and food, we did not stop dancing for a second. It was seriously the best group of people because almost everyone of every age was on that dance floor.



I missed the bouquet toss, due to a photobooth that seemed much more appealing, and it's good I missed it, because the girls were going HAM for that bouquet.


During a housewarming party at Sandy's (that included homemade apple moonshine, which is insanely dangerous beyond repair), Edwin and Sandy had a push-up contest, and they both said they'd have to do it at the wedding. I thought they'd forget, but they did not (Sandy also teaches CKO Kickboxing classes, so she is crazy in shape).


The two runners changed into new kicks during the ceremony, which was too perfect for them.

We seriously did not stop dancing (or drinking) all night.


Honestly, every wedding I now go to is going to be compared to this one. There was so much love all around, and it was contagious (there was also a lot of drinks flowing freely, which made the love flow even more).

What is the best wedding you've ever been to? If you are married, what was your favorite part of your wedding?

15 comments:

HiFashion said...

They sound like the best couple, and looks like they got the day they deserved. I am totally taking inspiration from then and changing into trainers at some point during my wedding - whenever that may be.

And your pink dress is all kinds of stunning.

The Dainty Dolls House said...

This looks like an amazing wedding. They looked gorgeous and I love the running shoes :) You two look precious as well, very sweet!! I hope you have a great week doll xx

The Dainty Dolls House said...

This looks like an amazing wedding. They looked gorgeous and I love the running shoes :) You two look precious as well, very sweet!! I hope you have a great week doll xx

Sara Louise said...

I love a wedding and this one looks like it was a blast! Mashed potato bar?! That's the greatest thing I've ever heard! xo

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime said...

the bride and groom look like such fun people! Love your dress- great color!

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

ha! i hope she kicked his butt!

my fav part of my wedding was the food!

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Sharon (Style-Chameleon) said...

Lovely pictures!



www.style-chameleon.com

WIN A HAIR TREATMENT!!!

Green Tea and Cupcakes said...

Looks like a fun night was had by all they look like such a cute couple

Elle Sees said...

my sister's first wedding (there are 3) was my fave as far as the reception went. they had a great band and everyone was dancing all night.

Couture Carrie said...

So fun!
Love the sneaker exchange :)

xoxox,
CC

Megan said...

you look gorgeous in that pink dress!
I love Sandy's philosophy about being ngaged and planning a wedding it should definitely be something you enjoy. I have only been to two weddings but have five next year - getting to that age where all my friends are getting married which is nice. I always enjoy when couples do their own vows, its always lovely.

Rebecca Harasym said...

Sandy and her husband sound wonderful and they look so happy! Love the runners! I too wore runners that were all lace! You looked fantastic in your bright pink dress!

Rebecca
www.winnipegstyle.ca

Olivia Fuller said...

Allison!!

It's been awhile since I've visited the blogging world, I'm so glad to see you're still at it :)! I think I'm finally at the point where I can get back into it and post regularly, I've really missed it. I hope that life has been treating you well; judging by all of the lovely photos it seems like it has! That wedding looks amazing, you must have had a blast. I really love their running shoes, and the box of their letters to each other and wine for their first fight. That's such a sweet idea...I might have to borrow that one day ;). They seem like such a fun and happy couple, and they really cared about their guests having a good time too.

Take care!
xo
Olivia

lauren @ la petite fashionista said...

this looks like SO much fun! this is how weddings are supposed to be. unique to the couple and fun for all of the attendees! love all the character from the running shoes to the push up contest!

xoxo

Ashley said...

Ugh, aren't weddings the best?! I love these fun pictures!! You look AMAZING in that pink dress! Such a good color on you! Hope you are doing fabulously, lady. xo