Monday, October 14, 2013

Fall (2013) Favorites.

I'm all about the fall (as evidenced in my post that was dedicated solely to fall fashion). There are things this time of year that are especially perfect and that no matter how difficult work or relationships get, there's that extra push from the perfection of fall.



Here's my list of things that keep pushing me and that I'm absolutely loving at the moment.

1. The return of The Walking Dead.

Seriously, the previews for season four look unreal and I cannot wait to have some more Daryl Dixon in my life. I didn't hate the season three finale, but feel like so much was left unsaid/unanswered, and now that the group is down to so few people, it's going to be an interesting season!

For real, writers - you leave Hershel, Glenn, and Daryl alone.

2. Braids

I'm all about braids lately, and always have been, but there's something about braids, beanies, and flannel during fall months that makes it that much better. All the braids seen at various fashion weeks around the world made me super excited to experiment a little (to the best of my ability, which is next to nothing).


3. Pumpkin flavored everything.

I met someone the other day who said, "I hate pumpkin!" I immediately thought, "Well I hate you."
Seriously, I will take pumpkin in my coffee, bread, beer, ravioli, cheesecake, etc. I went to Trader Joe's for 4 things the other day.. once one of the workers told me that they had over 30 pumpkin items in the store, I ended up spending $107. Oops.

Pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin risotto, pumpkin Greek yogurt, pumpkin bread mix buried in the cart, ingredients for soup... I love you, Trader Joe's.

Seasonal Magic Hat and Baked Pumpkin Ale to cheers my cousin Tim who started for Georgetown football (as a FRESHMAN) and scored a touchdown!

4. Soup season.

There is something so beautiful about a delicious bowl of soup.
Now that I have my own kitchen and don't have my mother (who means well) hovering over me telling me that I'm doing xyz wrong while I'm cooking ("Oh Al, you used that pan? You should have used the bigger size"), I cannot wait to experiment and try to make my own soups.


5. The start of holiday parties. 

Halloween parties, birthday parties (I have a lot of friends born in the fall), and friend Thanksgiving dinners/get togethers.. I love every aspect of dressing up, cooking, and spending time with the people I love.

6. American Horror Story: Coven.

God, I love American Horror Story. I've watched it since season one (which was my favorite season of all and where I developed a serious love affair with Evan Peters, who I still refer to as "Tate"), and after the season premiere yesterday, I already know it's going to be a ridiculously perfect season.
I mean, you have Kathy Bates, who totally proves that she doesn't just have to be shattering legs to be terrifying.

 

7. Wine tastings.

Now that it's chilly, it's the perfect weather to walk around a winery (post on that coming soon!) or a new town that has a kick-ass wine shop with Friday tastings. Such a cool way to try new wines, spend time doing something inexpensive (read: free unless you buy a bottle - I always make sure to buy SOMETHING so I'm not just mooching free wine, even if it's not the bottle we tried), and get a little buzz going.
Plus, if you make friends (read: are nice and polite) to the people who are giving the tastings, they will give you lots of refills and sometimes promotional deals!


8. Fall running

Fall could not be more perfect for running, especially trail running. I went on my first run in a new (to me) park the other day and found a trail along the park. It was so beautiful, and thanks to my "Zombies, Run!" app, the Dr. Scholls Active Series insoles that I got courtesy of Influenster, and the beautiful weather, I was able to kick some pretty serious ass and just enjoy taking in all the sites (I did have to stop to take pictures though). The insoles seriously did make my run SO much easier and more fulfilling - my sneakers are probably at that 300-350 mile point, so I need to trade in, so I'm thankful these can tide me over in the meantime!

I think I could totally outrun a zombie, if need be.

9. Reliving childhood favorites.

I'm making  a "birthday movie night basket," which features popcorn, candy, etc. as well as a bunch of DVDs. It was so much fun to order her so many of my favorites from when I was her age (and a little younger). Here's to hoping that she'll love The Parent Trap, Hocus Pocus, Richie Rich, and Matilda as much as I did when I was her age!
Within the same week, I was at my parent's house and found a TON of my old DVDs - think, 1990's Mary Kate & Ashley movies including (but not limited to) Passport to Paris and Our Lips Are Sealed. While Edwin was working one day, I secretly marathoned two MK&A movies in a row and have absolutely no shame about this at all.



10. So many days off during fall, so I can curl up and read.

Seriously, I've been devouring books lately and no part of me is upset about this. More days off, please!

I think you mean pumpkin coffee - because that wins.


What are your favorite things this time of year?
Any great fall recipes you want to pass on?

xox, loves!

Currently listening to: Architects & Engineers - Guster

9 comments:

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Yes yes to all these things. Am so excited for these shows to get back on!! The fall season is looking so good for tv, haha. And I love soup, made chicken noodle the other day, hadn't had it in ages, was marvellous. I hope you enjoy the shows too & have a gorgeous week doll xx

amy b.s. said...

i so need to start watching the walking dead. it's on my list. as is everything pumpkin!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I want to live your fall! It sounds like perfection. One day I'll make it back there for autumn :)

This is the first season I've watched AHS. When I was in NOLA we went by the house that they filmed in so I made it a point to watch. Hoping I love it!

Sara Louise said...

Fall season is soup season! I LOVE making soup!
And here in The LPV, we wine taste all year round :)

Elle Sees said...

pumpkin everything. i wish ppl would just let me enjoy my temporary pumpkin madness!!
they film WD here in atl!

Meg {henninglove} said...

oh my gosh trader joes and their pumpkin everything! i want to buy it all but i know i will probably end up eating it all because my husband isn't a big fan of pumpkin especially pumpkin everything!

HiFashion said...

I love Autumn. It's my favourite season. The cold crisp mornings are so refreshing.
I am SO excited for the new American Horror Story season!

And also, in response to your comment, yes we need a UK/US meet up to PARTY!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

That gif of Ramona is amazing! And I am just loving all the soups too! Hope you're doing well! :)

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

girl, DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON HOW AWESOME TRAIL RUNNING IS! and now my knee is bummed so i have to hike them but still; trail running IS THE BOMB. so glad you liked it!

i just stocked up on my pumpkin chai tea from my fav tea store and can't wait to drink it tomorrow!

-kathy
Vodka and Soda