Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Healthy Living with Lifeway Kefir.

I've found that everything is good for you, and then becomes bad for you - within months. Drink coffee because it increases your metabolism - no scratch that, don't drink it because it causes acne and makes you eat more. Drink whole milk, because there are more benefits - but don't, because it's loaded with fat. Kale is the superfood that is sweeping the nation - but it tastes like dirt, and spinach is just as good for you, so maybe go with that. Yogurt is phenomenal for you - except if it has high fructose corn syrup, or whole milk, or aspartame, because then you'll probably die.

If you try to be healthy, as I attempt,  you're probably bombarded with the new "food of the moment," "superfood," or "diet secret." It's so overwhelming hearing that I should be eating only kale, or only raw vegetables, not to have fruit because it's high in carbs, to avoid avocado because I'll get fat. It never seems to end.

When Influenster sent me a survey that related to Kefir, I was definitely skeptical. Really, Kefir is a new superfood? It's better than Greek yogurt (that I eat by the barrel)? It won't taste like glue and/or rubbing alcohol, and/or chalky grass (like the wheatgrass shots that I sometimes suck down in the hopes of being healthier and improving my running)?  Doubtful.

However, I was about to eat my words. Once I was chosen to test out Lifeway Kefir, I was first on a mission to find the product. My heart was set on the Lifeway frozen Kefir, which even Women's Health endorsed as a delicious, mainly guilt-free frozen treat. Unfortunately, New Jersey doesn't seem to have the frozen variety, so with an attitude already, I headed to my local supermarket to try the smoothie version of Kefir by Lifeway. Going into it with a bad attitude, I was setting the product up to fail, or at least to be a total disappointment. I settled on Lifeway's Blueberry Probiotic smoothie, which is 99% lactose free, gluten free (naturally, which is really cool), filled with calcium, and has live and active probiotic cultures in it.

This stuff is phenomenal. I actually tried it on my drive home from the store (still in a sulk over the lack of the frozen kind), and was blown away. First of all, the blueberry type wasn't blue - so you don't have to fear about getting the seeds in your teeth or having a blue-tinted smile.


I've since used my Lifeway Kefir smoothies as a base for more smoothies and to just drink, straight out of the glass and/or bottle it comes from. So far I've tried to the plain, blueberry, and peach - and Influenster only sent me a coupon for one free one, so I honestly love this product.

Permanent home in my fridge:


Smoothies are a fantastic post-workout fuel, since it's extremely beneficial to put all the good stuff into your body that it so needs. A lot of times, I make them before I go on my run and refrigerate them, so as soon as I walk through the door, I can head to the fridge to refuel.

Peach-Blueberry Smoothie
1 cup (8 oz) Lifeway Peach Kefir, 1 cup organic blueberries, 1 peach, ice for desired thickness of smoothie.

More smoothies made with Lifeway Kefir - a blueberry, blackberry, Blueberry Kefir smoothie;
ingredients for a blueberry, peach, oatmeal, and Blueberry Kefir smoothie (that was absolutely phenomenal).

In short, I was pleased to be so surprised about how delicious Lifeway products are - now they just need to get the frozen kind more widely available in New Jersey stores! Big thanks to Influenster for the try of this fantastic product!

What is your favorite kind of smoothie? Have you tried Kefir yet?

Currently: Packing for a trip to Maine this weekend while listening to the Maine playlist that I made for the 5+ hour long trip. 

5 comments:

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Hmmm...sounds interesting doll :) Never heard of it or seen it before. Will have to look out for it here :)) I hope you get all packed ok & have a fun time in Maine :))) Enjoy the rest of the week doll xx

Ashley said...

Never heard of this, but always interested in new "super" foods! I'm with you on the Greek yogurt, though, so not sure if I have any more room for newbies :) Have so much fun in Maine! Next trip on your list? Baltimore!!! Xo

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I have never heard of this either! But I am always up for trying new, healthy stuff! I'll keep my eye out for it when I got to he store!

lauren @ la petite fashionista said...

so funny- before greek yogurt was a "thing"- my dad would always buy kefir for us for the probiotics! it's quite tasty!

Couture Carrie said...

Must try it!
Have fun in Maine :)

xoxox,
CC