Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Shabby Apple Makes Vintage Simple.

I remember when I was six or seven years old, and I was exploring at my Poppy's house. He lived in a huge, 8 bedroom home, so there were tons of places to explore, and even as an adult, I was convinced there were rooms that I never actually went into. I so clearly can remember pushing open a door to a closet, and just staring and being in awe. It was a closet filled with Nana's vintage dresses, left to collect dust after she passed away, in a closet that even Poppy probably forgot was filled with these treasures. 

I think it was looking at the old pictures of my beautiful Nana and seeing how she was immaculately dressed, from the time that she was a young woman up until she passed away far too young from breast cancer. 

I've been afraid to try the vintage look - I mix pieces here and there (I have a beloved YSL ring that belonged to my Nana that I cherish), but to go totally vintage scares me beyond measure, especially when you see pictures of Nicole Richie looking flawless.

I'm afraid that I'll look like I'm going to a costume party, versus some of you gorgeous women who have such a flawless sense of style and can make vintage clothing your own. Plus, I've NEVER (seriously, never) had luck at vintage shops - things hang on me and I can't envision them being tailored and looking flattering, so I leave them on the racks, sad that this is a trend I seem unable to pull off. 

Shabby Apple takes away some of the challenge of finding gorgeous, vintage-inspired dresses and outfits. I'd heard of Shabby Apple through various blogging friends, and was always so jealous of  the ones who were contacted by Shabby Apple to feature some of their designs, but now I get to join the club and brag about my fantastic opportunity with Shabby Apple, which will result in a very infrequent outfit post by moi at a later date (but not too much later!). 

Especially now with a ton of weddings and events coming up, I'm looking for something gorgeous and unique to wear, and Shabby Apple definitely fits the bill. All of these beautiful pieces can be found via Shabby Apple, many for under $100! (And with a mortgage payment and grown up responsibilities, plus a new found love of tri-weekly produce shopping trips, finding things that are chic and very affordable is my new thing).

Here are some of my pieces from the super easy-to-navigate Shabby Apple site. 

Knave of Hearts and Golden Afternoon dress (left to right).
Knave of Hearts dressGolden Afternoon dress

Hyannis skirt.
Hyannis nautical skirt

Santa Monica vintage polka dot sheath and Toe the Line chambray dress (which makes me want to be on a boat).
Santa MonicaToe the Line dress

Bistro and Foxglove blouses.
Bistro blouseFoxglove blouse

The beautiful and elegant Tiber dress that I think is tres chic (and I'm usually not one for boatnecks!).
Tiber

Elizabeth Islands maxi dress (one of my favorites!).
Elizabeth Islands maxi 1

First Dance and Academy Award skirt.
First Dance skirtAcademy Award skirt

Rhapsody dress (which reminds me of something a Middleton would wear) and the Belle de Jour dress.
Rhapsody dressBelle de Jour

Maid of Honor gown - which you may see on moi very soon, hint hint.
Maid of Honor

Blossom skirt (so Carrie Bradshaw) and Jetty skirt.
Blossom skirtJetty skirt

I could honestly go into major picture overload on all the amazing items offered by Shabby Apple - they're gorgeous and unique enough that you don't have to worry about being a duplicate of someone else at your summer event. They also offer accessories and other gorgeous pieces - enough to inspire an entire post! 

Are you a Shabby Apple fan? How do you work vintage looks into your outfits - any tips are VERY highly welcomed, since while I'm inspired, I'm still reluctant.

What is your favorite piece from Shabby Apple? Share if I missed any good ones!

Currently listening to: Blurred Lines - Robin Thicke ft. T.I. and Pharrell  (I am the only one out of my friends who likes this song - they have no taste). 

6 comments:

The Dainty Dolls House said...

You should try them doll, I love their shop :) I could buy way too much there. Love that polka dotted dress, gorgeous. Wearing vintage can be intimidating sometimes because there is so much to choose from. And sometimes people that go to vintage to escape looking like everyone else, do end up looking like everyone else that wears vintage, haha. Like they adopt the same vintage hairstyles and ways, so it can be just the same. I like a mix and just putting my own spin on it :))) I think you'd suit any of these picks :)) Have a gorgeous day doll xx

Kathy said...

i love the vintage inspired looks; it's so sex and the city! but im not sure if i can pull them off... i've been lurking their site and ModCloth for a dress for a wedding i have to go to and i'm scared to pull the trigger and buy something!

HiFashion said...

These pieces are so gorgeous! That first dress is absolutely gorgeous!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I feel the same way. It's almost like to pull off vintage you have to only wear vintage. It has to be a lifestyle almost lol.

P.S. I wanted to hate Blurred Lines but I freakin' love it! I'm glad it's not getting overplayed on the radio and I can still enjoy it.

Elle Sees said...

blurred lines makes me wanna dance no matter where i am!!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

As usual I love all your fashion picks! You have a great eye for clothes!