Friday, June 21, 2013

Road Tripping Playlist.

As I've mentioned in so many other posts (since music posts seem to be more of a recurring theme for me as of late), I love making playlists. My iPhone and iPod (because I'm ridiculous and need both) have countless playlists created for any and every occasion, and considering the 12,000+ songs on my computer, there is quite the variety.

As much as I love filling a playlist up with as many songs as possible, to me, making a mix CD is something I can't let go of. There's something about coming up with the perfect mix of songs when your options are limited to 80 minutes per CD that adds in an element of excitement and challenge.

For my friend Rob's upcoming birthday weekend camping trip (on our own island!) to Lake George, NY - a 3.5 hour trip - I've already started creating a mix CD for Edwin and I to listen to on our drive up together. I'm ridiculous with playlists - to me, it's not a simple throwing songs together and then having that be it. I am meticulous about picking the right music, having it flow in a specific order - music is an integral part of a road trip, and so it's definitely something that I throw myself into (plus the school year is winding down, so now I need a new project). 

To me, a perfect road trip playlist has a mix of everything - old school (you NEED those ones where it's like, "Oh my god, I forgot about that song!"), popular/catchy, hip hop (bonus points for old school hip hop), and just about anything that's easy and fun.

So, here is my official Lake George 2013 Road Trip Playlist.

1. Summer Love - Justin Timberlake.
Because every playlist needs Justin on it.. and come on, this one has summer in the title. What could be more fitting for a summer road trip?


2. 12 Fingers - Young the Giant
I have a serious love of Young the Giant, and this is such a catchy, upbeat song.


3. The General Specific - Band of Horses.
Another peppy, upbeat song that is perfect when the windows are down (or up, I don't discriminate).



4. Baby I'm Yours - Breakbot ft. Irfane
Breakbot and summer are an unbeatable combination. Part electro and part 80's freestyle, he is perfect.



5. Flowers inYour Hair - The Lumineers
I have been listening to The Lumineers nonstop as I lounge by my pool. This song is about 2 minutes long, but is just so cute.



6. Da Rockwilder - Methodman and Redman




7. Get Lucky - Daft Punk ft. Pharrell
One of my friends calls the new Daft Punk album "elevator music," but I think this one is catchy, fun, and summery.

8. Crooked Teeth - Death Cab for Cutie



9. Down the Line - Jose Gonzalez
I love his music - his voice is hauntingly beautiful.



10. The City - Madeon

11. Do You Love Me? - Guster
Guster is Edwin's favorite, favorite band ever. He's seen them countless times in concert, and on our drive up to Boston, we listened to them for the entire duration. This song is so damn cute and makes me happy (as I try to get into their music since we're seeing them and Ben Folds play together in July!).



12. I'm on a Boat - The Lonely Island
I mean, we're going to be camping on an island and the invite to camp said it was a BYOBB - bring your own beer + boat. I think we have 2 or 3 boats and a jet ski for the weekend - my friends are badass.

Plus, the video is hysterical.


13. King City - Swim Deep



14. Fantasy - Breakbot ft. Ruckazoid

15. Love Stoned/I Think She Knows - Justin Timberlake
Another winner, and it switches up the beat so much that you don't really notice how long it is. In case you can't tell, I love Justin a little bit.



16. 1957 - Milo Greene



17. Six Weeks - Of Monsters and Men

18. Just a Friend - Biz Markie
I mean, come on. Is there anything better than this song?



19. Rattle (Original Mix) - Bingo Players

What are your road trip must plays? (My dad's necessity is Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" and Kanye's "Power" - we start almost every road trip with one of the two playing).

Currently: Getting ready to LEAVE FOR LAKE GEORGE! 

11 comments:

lauren @ la petite fashionista said...

i LIVE for roadtrips!! when kyle and i were in florida the other weekend I had complete control over the music (i like to set the mood so we had lots of bob marley, surfy tunes).

have SO much fun on your camping trip!!


and i loved your post about your boston getaway. looks like you two have so much fun together!! :)

It's Simply Sophie said...

ahh i love this playlist and you made me remember some amazing songs haha.

I didnt realise you still blogged sweetie! I've started again with a whole new blog.

It's Soph ie kickingcouture btw sweetie haha

xxx

Kathy said...

roadtrips are so much fun! and i love the daft punk song :)

HiFashion said...

We are literally music soulmates! Love these tracks and recommendations.
I'm on a mini road trip this weekend so can't wait to add some new songs to my playlist.

Elle Sees said...

yassss! i can't wait to listen!

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Love road trip music...this is awesome!! I hope you have a great week doll xx

Sara Louise said...

Lake George! Now that takes me back!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

"Because every playlist needs Justin on it" - I couldn't agree more! Love me some JT!!

Kelsey said...

great list of songs! now time to update my ipod..

x

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

You're probably at the lake now (or have returned bc I'm SO late on commenting, sorry) but I hope it is/was amazing!!

I have a 5-hr roadtrip coming up next week and I have to make it alone :O

I NEED to come up with a playlist. I've been wanting to do one for Summer 2013 but I can't commit. I feel like as soon as I make the playlist a new song will come out haha.

amy b.s. said...

i'm on a boat should definitely be on everyone's summer play list!