Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Girl Power Playlist.

If someone who did not know me was to look through my iTunes library - or my stations on Pandora - I would probably look like I had multiple personalities. Music is so important to me though, and has always been such a way of identifying how I'm feeling, that I can't limit myself to just one category or style that I listen to. 

Lately, I've been listening to a ton of amazing female artists who are just too talented to go without posting about. Clearly I have a type though, since they all have a lot of similar styles and elements, but they are definitely swoon worthy in their own way - plus, who can get mad about listening to a ton of awesome females in their element? 

Here are my current favorite female vocalists, who I've been listening to on repeat lately. 

1. Kate Nash


Kate Nash is brilliant. Her songs all tell stories, so the lyrics are highly important, and a lot of times she expresses things that everyone goes through on a normal basis (break ups, unrequited love, being in a relationship that doesn't fit) in a funny, but poignant way. 

Favorite tracks: Navy Taxi, Foundations, We Get On, Merry Happy. 


2. Lana Del Ray

I've posted about my love with Lana before, but the more I listen to her, the bigger of a girl crush I develop. There's something about her voice, the beats, and lyrics that make me sing along and put me in a perma-good mood. 

Favorite tracks: Blue Jeans, Diet Mountain Dew, Off to the Races, Ride 


3. Fiona Apple


There are not enough positive things I can say about Fiona Apple. She's been around forever, is a poet with her words (including a 90-something word album title for When the Pawn...), is absolutely beautiful, and is clearly not going anywhere or having her talent diminish in any way. She was one of the originals of angsty females who just can't catch a break in love, and I hope that never goes away (sorry, Fiona). 

Favorite Tracks: Paper Bag, Limp, Better Version of Me, Criminal


4. Rachael Yamagata


I first heard Rachael when I started watching The OC (I am not ashamed, I still love and miss the show). They constantly played amazing music featuring relative unknowns (at least to me!), and Yamagata was featured on there a few times. Her voice is amazing, her lyrics hit home, and the melodies are perfect. You've probably heard her without even realizing. 

Favorite Tracks: 1963, Worn Me Down, Be Be Your Love


5. Regina Spektor.


I actually saw her play in a very small venue, and she was electric. Her piano playing is unreal, and she is absolutely adorable. She's another with catchy beats and lyrics, and she's unbelievably quirky, which is adorable. 

Favorite Tracks: Fidelity, The Calculation, Samson, Laughing With.


6. Ingrid Michaelson 


Ingrid Michaelson is the cutest thing alive and her music makes me want to be in love all the time and not care about anything else. Her music is constantly upbeat and can almost guarantee to put you in a good mood. 

Favorite Tracks: You and I, The Way I Am, Be OK


Plus, she and Sara Bareilles have a beautiful duet that brings me to this amazing, zen state whenever I hear it. Their voices are perfect together. 



7. Lissie


Lissie is a newer favorite - I haven't listened to her for more than a year, but she is incredible. And, she covered Kid Cudi's "Pursuit Of Happiness," which takes some serious courage, but she did it beautifully. 

Favorite Tracks: Pursuit of Happiness, You Can Go Your Own Way, Bully

And guys - this is live, which is out of control.

8. Sara Bareilles 


She is another one who is just adorable with amazing talent and vocals. She hits on all aspects of love - the good, bad, and difficult, so her music is appropriate for any circumstance. 

Favorite Tracks: Love Song, Bottle it Up, Gravity


9. Florence + the Machine.


Florence Welch is incredible - there is no other word to describe her talent. I seriously get goosebumps listening to her, and I have yet to meet someone who isn't a fan of her music. I also have a soft spot for her, because Cosmic Love hits home every time I think of Poppy - it was what I was listening to when I found out he had passed, so even now, I get choked up when it comes on. 

Favorite Tracks: Seven Devils, Dog Days are Over, You've Got the Love, Cosmic Love, Sweet Nothing (ft. Calvin Harris)

Even the opening of this song, I honestly have goosebumps - she has some powerful vocals. 

10. Rihanna. 


Okay, hear me out. I've gotten so used to the S&M, badass version of Rihanna where the crazy and catchy beats overpower her voice, but when Stay came out, I remembered how much talent this woman has beyond picking amazing producers to lay out tracks for her. 

Favorite Tracks: Stay, Umbrella, SOS, Birthday Cake (I know, I know). 


I know as soon as I post this, I'm going to think of a TON of others that are obvious, who I forgot, but this is my at the moment top 10 of favorites. 

Who are your favorite female vocalists? 
(I realize I don't have Adele and Taylor Swift on this list for an obvious reason - I'm not a fan of either of them. I think they're highly talented, just not for me). 

Currently listening to: Seven Devils - Florence + the Machine. 

10 comments:

lauren @ la petite fashionista said...

yes! i love this girl power playlist. and your comment about missing the OC (i still love listening to the old playlists)!

HiFashion said...

Girl power all the way! This is a fantastic playlist. I love Lana Del Rey so much. I'm also a massive A Fine Frenzy fan.

Ash said...

That Pursuit of Happiness cover is amazing. I also never really took notice of the lyrics until I saw that video. I didn't know just how powerful that song's lyrics were until just now. It's quite revelatory.

I've heard a lot of people mention old girl Spektor, but never really gotten into her or even tried checking her out, but that song you linked is pretty damn catchy. I'll have to give her more of a listen.

I don't tend to listen to many female artists at all, really. Not by choice, there's just none that really spring to mind when I think of female artists I'd like to listen to. Off the top of my head, the only female artist I recall having on my iPod is the chick from Evanescense (sp?)... ma bad. You have given me fairly good sources to kickstart the whole female artist scene, however. Well played.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I need to get on some of these. I know I like a few of them, but only a song or two. Time to explore :)

I was thinking about you yesterday but wasn't near my computer so I'm glad you reminded me with the comment. Hope you are well!!

Courtney said...

I love me some powerful female singers! I LOVE Fiona Apple and Sara Bareilles. I'd add Sarah McLaughlin probably. She kinda rocks.

Meg {henninglove} said...

oooh i haven't heard of a handful of some of these singers! i have some new music to listen too that is for sure. thanks for sharing allison

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Wonderful....love all these ladies :)) I like to listen to a variety of music or else I get bored. But, there are plenty of fabulous ladies out there to listen to. I hope your week is going well so far doll xx

dani said...

I love everyone you mentioned... though Rihanna's a little iffy for me. ;) But Regina, Fiona, & Lana? LOVE! :)

Sara Louise said...

I am a total music nerd as in I have no idea about anything that is happening so I always like when you do these posts so I can broaden my horizons a bit :)
P.S. Fiona Apple was my favorite back in the day (we're talking like 90s back in the day. I'm super duper old) xo

Couture Carrie said...

Fabulous selections, darling!
Must check out Kate Nash!

xoxox,
CC