Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Other Sister.

I am a child of the 90's, and some of those things have carried over the 10+ years since TGIF meant staying in to watch Boy Meets World on Fridays, I had one of those see-through phones in my room that I thought was so badass, and my friends and I played manhunt in my neighborhood for HOURS upon end. 

Growing up, like every other girl, I was in love with Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen - all my friends and I memorized every word to their videos (and when It Takes Two came out?! Forget about it - we celebrated like it was the Royal Wedding), subscribed to their fan club, and followed their careers.

Even now, as a 25-year-old, I still do love the Olsen's for their incredible sense of fashion, and the clothing lines they've created, which are beautifully crafted (plus Mary Kate was on Weeds, which made my seven year old self scream a little inside with joy.. or maybe horror, because seven year old moi did not know about drug dealing). 

Now, the Olsen family is branching out and getting back into acting, this time with Elizabeth Olsen, the younger sister of MK & A, who has already staked her claim as a serious actress. I feel like nepotism in the entertainment industry is pretty common (hello, Willow Smith), so I know people were pretty skeptical about Olsen's acting talents - and if there actually was any, or she was just piggy-backing off the fame of her two sisters, especially after she enrolled in NYU just like her sisters had previously. 

After seeing Martha Marcy May Marlene, critics everywhere shut up, because Olsen is flawless in it, playing a young woman who escapes from a cult and tries to adapt to normal life with her estranged family (seriously, if you haven't seen it, it's a good one - not funny or uplifting, but a very well-made film that's very easy to watch). 

When you first look at Olsen, you can tell exactly who she is related to - she's a cross between both sisters, though she has been very outspoken about the fact that she's not stick thin like her sisters and doesn't intend on getting to that level (reports show she almost quit pursuing an acting career because of Mary Kate's eating disorder years ago). 

Her personal style is evident - floppy hat, boho chic, well put together while not looking like she spent hours figuring out what to wear. The Lizzie Olsen style guide includes oversized, mix-matched proportions (high-low), vintage sunglasses, and a gorgeous smile.

Street style (mainly on the streets of Chelsea/NYC) - with the signature floppy hat.
tumblr_mf5td5djZz1r7gbeko1_50033944417tumblr_mbnxozp7Lz1r7gbeko1_r2_500tumblr_m12mkhgF9Q1r7gbeko1_5003c03199dcf6ad099e470e9633f6dc511

More boho chic street style.
tumblr_m6q57fjhFn1r7gbeko1_r1_500tumblr_m6xro8aFLB1r7gbeko1_r4_500tumblr_lyxorpdEOe1r7gbeko1_5006278ff92bb5d5530d11914c944a10a6a

Awards shows and red carpet glam.
tumblr_mi33oxitfJ1r7gbeko1_500tumblr_ma7gj2ZEY41r7gbeko1_500tumblr_m624snzgua1r7gbeko1_500tumblr_m4ocewkQ3W1r7gbeko1_500tumblr_m2hzaxjAWX1r7gbeko1_r2_500tumblr_m01kv9Nkp51r7gbeko1_500

I am obsessed with this picture.
tumblr_m4eh8o5qTV1r7gbeko1_r3_500

tumblr_lyhwnskYi31r7gbeko1_500

With Karl Lagerfeld, in case you needed a reason to hate her.
with Lagerfeld

You can mimic Olsen's style - just play around with proportions, favor oversized sweaters and sunglasses, and don't forget your hat.
Collage

Thoughts? Are you an Olsen fan?

Have you made the switch to Bloglovin yet? Let's connect so we don't lose each other when Google Reader is no more. My profile is here.

Currently: Enjoying spring break (I think teachers love it more than students!), listening to copious amounts of City & Colour, and drinking way too much wine. 


10 comments:

Lindsay said...

I still quote It Takes Two til this day! And I may or may not STILL want to be an Olsen. Obsessed. Elizabeth is stunning.

The Dainty Dolls House said...

I think she's gorgeous & I much her prefer attitude of being who she is and not like her sisters. She seems more friendly as well, haha! I hope you have a gorgeous weekend doll xx

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I think she is so pretty and has such a great fashion sense!

HiFashion said...

I saw every single one of MK & A's films when they were growing up. But I think Elizabeth is a much better actress. I saw Marcy May too and thought she was brilliant in it.

Milex said...

you are talented

Ali of Dressing Ken said...

Yes they are very stylish and beautiful. Funny when you look at then as toddlers on Full House you would never have thought they would turn out to be so attractive! Oh and talented.

Ali of

www.dressignken.com

lauren @ la petite fashionista said...

I of course, have always loved the Olsens and their sis is so chic!


PS just read your previous post and wanted to congratulate you on the place of your own! so exciting :D

Elle Sees said...

I get what I want...and for winter break, I want Jordan.
--from some Olsen twins movie my sis loved as a kid, spoken by megan fox ;)


i think she's GORGEOUS

Meg {henninglove} said...

TGIF was the best series of shows ever! i miss TGIF. i like the olsen twins but their younger sister's style is much more my style and not at unusual as the twins have been recently

Sara Louise said...

I'm a huge fan of the Olsen style. I wish I could pull it off but I don't feel tiny enough. x.