Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Through the Looking Glass - Firmoo Lenses Review

When I was in second grade, it seemed like all my friends were getting glasses and/or braces. For some reason, probably the desire to totally and completely fit in with my peers, I was jealosu of them, and was so sad that my eyesight was perfect and I didn't need glasses. Of course, this was short lived, and once fourth grade and those super awkward years rolled around, my optometrist revealed that I now did in fact need glasses.

I still remember my first pair of glasses - they were red and oval shaped, and absolutely awful. Pair that with my gawkiness and bad skin, and I was the poster child of an awkward middle schooler. As soon as high school hit (or the summer prior to starting 9th grade), and I was recruited for varsity soccer, I got contacts as quickly as possible, leaving my horrible glasses behind me with happiness.

Once I got to college and realized that all nighters + contacts were a terrible horrible combination, I realized that I was responsible (kind of) enough for real, grown up glasses, which made all the difference.

Glasses have stopped being for nerds - my sixth grade self is rejoicing over the fact that glasses are now very trendy statement pieces - often worn by people who don't even need a prescription (ugh, no fair!). When Firmoo.com, an online glasses retailer that offers a variety of styles of glasses (prescription and non-prescription) contacted me and asked me to try a pair, the sixth grade me was still reluctant about how they would look, or if all those insecurities would come flashing back to me.

My experience with Firmoo was simple - I chose my pair of frames, selected that I did not want prescription lenses, and they arrived within the week. I picked a pair that I normally wouldn't have chosen - the big, retro geeky kind of frames, because I wanted to try something out of my comfort zone. I actually ended up loving them (despite my parents making fun and saying that I looked like Buddy Holly).

I wore them to a technology conference where I was a presenter on using iPads in the classroom at a local college, and I think I walked the line between nerd and professor very well.

Firmoo has fast shipping, and an awesome first pair free policy, where you can try out frames at absolutely no risk. Their customer service was on point, and after having Versace and Burberry lenses for the past forever years, I was definitely pleased with their prices as well!

I did have difficulty navigating their site to find my original pair that I ordered though - there is a bit of clutter which makes easy navigation a bit more complicated, but that was the main hiccup I found with the site. After searching for ~15 minutes, I still couldn't find them, so this link is for a very similar pair.

I've had a lot of fun with my Firmoo lenses, and have gotten a ridiculous amount of compliments both in person and via Instragram on them. Be sure to check the site and pick a favorite pair - let me know in the comments what your favorite style of glasses are!



Have you ever worn glasses? What style are you a fan of (or not a fan of?!)?

6 comments:

Couture Carrie said...

Love Firmoo!
You look fabulous in glasses, darling!

xoxox,
CC

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

You look so cute in your glasses! I have friends that use Firmoo and they love it! Such a brilliant idea! Hope you're having a great week so far!! :)

HiFashion said...

Those glasses suit you so well. I've worn contacts for years too, but just got myself a few new pairs of glasses which I'm so excited to wear.

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Adore your glasses, you look beautiful!! xx

Kathy said...

they look good on you! i'm supposed to wear glasses but i don't...actually it's good that i did because my optometrist said that my eyesight has IMPROVED and to stop wearing them :D

Olga Zgonnik said...

really cute glasses!

www.anightinnyc.blogspot.com