Thursday, March 21, 2013

Runners World.

"I don't even know what I was running for - I guess I just felt like it."
Holden Caufield, The Catcher in the Rye


My boyfriend and I have gone for exactly one run together.

It was a spur of the moment decision, when we were bored after waking up one morning and decided the weather was nice enough that we should do something inside (and it was probably a good detox as well). As we put on our running clothes, I grabbed my phone and headphones, to which he said, "No, let's try just running today without distractions." I was fine with this - he is a former distance runner, and we recruited for various schools to run for them, so I know he's way more knowledgeable than I am (plus, he can run under a 6 minute mile, so I bow before this since I am ridiculously slow by comparison).

I've never run with someone for fun before - it was always a highly competitive setting for varsity soccer, where the slowest person had to run additional timed miles and suicides, so I was not about to be stuck with that person.

Even as I started out my run with him, my competitive nature kicked into high gear, and I set off on a super fast pace, sans music. This was not my most brilliant of ideas, because I burnt out fast after the first mile, and had to completely turtle pace it back to my house on my loop, with him being very patient behind me.

When we got back to my house, I was ready to die, and he turned around and said, "Okay, I'm going to do another loop, I'll be back soon." I think I did something very ladylike, like gave him the finger, but I was so out of breath and just blah, that I probably am giving myself way too much credit.

When I was laying on my living room floor, still trying to catch my breath while crazy was out running another loop (he later told me that it was way too ambitious and he didn't realize how much the hills were going to destroy him until he was on his way back), I realized that I'm the type of person who thrives on music to pump me up during a workout or run, and that just because Edwin doesn't like music on during his runs doesn't mean that's what works best for me.

I'm known in my circle of friends for my playlists - I love music, and I love running, so putting together running playlists is one of my favorite things ever. Here's a list of a few must haves that I listen to whenever I'm in a slump or need that extra push.  

1. Rattle - Bingo Players.
If this song does not get you pumped up, I don't know what will. The pacing is perfect for interval running, starting out with a fast jog, going into a run, and sprinting for the duration that the beat really drops. And please don't let the fact that Flo-Rida covered a Bingo Players song throw you off from listening to them. He is just a ruiner of all things good music.

This came on in the car on an impromptu trip to the city at 3 a.m. for rice, and as soon as it came on, everyone in the car went crazy (or according to my friend Rob, "Rattle came on and shit just got REAL.").


2. Dog Days are Over - Florence and the Machine.
I usually wind down my runs with this song, again, because you can use it for interval running. In this case though, I do a very slow jog, fast jog, and sprint. Her singing basically encourages me to keep going and keep running for the final stretch.



3. Calling (Lose my Mind) Extended Mix - Sebastian Ingrosso & Alesso ft. Ryan Tedder
I cannot get enough of this song. It reminds me of summer (and summer drinks), but it also makes me move along with the amazing beats. Seriously, check it out - so good.



4. Anti Matter - N*E*R*D
I thought I was just alone with this one, but after talking with friends, I learned that I'm not the only one who loves and listens to this song during an intense workout. Something about the beat makes you want to just kick ass - hopefully your own and not the person running next to you though.



5. Ray Bands - B.o.B. 
Okay, I'm a huge fan of B.o.B., but the beat and flow of this song is perfect for mid-run when you want to keep your pace. Plus, he actually is a talented rapper with sick beats and in a sea of Lil Wayne's, that's something to celebrate.



6. Back Against the Wall - Cage the Elephant.
Okay, so this song was my angry song when I was dating someone prior to meeting Edwin. This guy would expect my life to revolve around his, would constantly cancel plans and leave me hanging, and running became such an outlet for me. Every time I would get pissed at him and would take solace in a run, this song would magically come on shuffle right at a time when I was needing to run the hardest. It's definitely stuck with me as a great workout song just for the added motivation it gave me during this time.



7. Power - Kanye West.
The beat, the words, the fact that it's Kanye. You had me at hello.



8. The Night Out - Martin Solveig 
Just check it. It's so damn catchy. (And, the Madeon remix is also SO GOOD).



9. The City - Madeon.
Madeon is a legend - if you haven't heard of him, check him out because he is going to blow up (and he's super young, which is unfair and amazing all at once).

This video is also really sick.


10. Da Rockwilder - Methodman & Redman
I love this song. Have since forever, probably always will.. Microphone checkaaa. It doesn't get much better.



11. Sexyback - Justin Timberlake.
Because I mean, come ON.



12. Mercy - Kanye West, Pusha T, Big Sean & 2Chainz.
I get bored sometimes when I'm running if I'm listening to the same person, so having a ton of different people rapping over one track with a sick beat and ridiculously catchy hook is perfect for me. Even though this song is crazy played out, every time it comes on the radio, I still listen to it.



13. Give Your Heart Away - The Black Keys.
I can't explain it, but this song makes me run. Hard. I ain't even mad.



What are your favorite songs to run to? I love sharing music, so please enlighten me (I get so tired of my music that I'm constantly seeking out new songs).

I know once I hit "publish" I'm going to think of twenty more songs I could add to this list, but for now, I'm pretty happy with it. This amount of songs is about the cycle that I listen to throughout the duration of one run - to me, the most important thing is to be motivated when you hit that wall halfway through and the end isn't in sight.

And now even Edwin is asking me for a running playlist. Just saying.

Currently listening to: Numb Bears - Of Monsters & Men

14 comments:

Couture Carrie said...

Love your story and this awesome playlist!
I totally need music to motivate me to run, and it is so fab to get some new tune ideas ~ thank you, darling!

xoxox,
CC

Lindsay said...

Ugh I wish I were a runner. Walking? I LOVE. You couldn't pay me to sign up for a 5k :)

Kathy said...

i run to old school house or electronica music! it's fast-paced and keeps me going.

HiFashion said...

Love this post! I'm known for my playlists too. I always have music on. I even have headphones at my desk at work, just in case, haha. This is a great playlist. Can't wait to check out some of the ones I don't know.

lauren @ la petite fashionista said...

I wish i had you to motivate me-- i am the WORST runner. i do love working out to a good playlist though!

Ash said...

Madeon is freaking awesome. I first heard his 'Pop Culture' mix, where he mixed 30 odd tracks together into a few minutes of pure win. I was hooked. 'The Night Out' remix of his is near flawless in my mind. That song and 'Finale' are my favourites of his. He's only 17 or 18, but he's got incredible talent. He's going to go far.

I'm a mild fan of Kanye myself. He's a bit of an uber-douche at times, which sours a lot of his appeal for me. But one cannot deny he's got a serious talent for his beats. 'Power', 'Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger', 'All of the Lights'... he's got game.

I don't go running so don't know what songs would work in that context, but two songs by Oasis - 'Shock of the Lightning' and 'The Hindu Times' - never fail to get me into a good mood. One day after a particularly arduous day at work, I blasted the absolute CRAP out of Hindu Times driving out of the carpark. A teacher saw me drive past and would have heard me coming a mile away. All she could do was stare at the car. I did the same thing today after work, and just absolutely pumped that song out. You can't beat good speakers with good music. It's just a massive win.


I'm not the biggest fan of house music, but due to the fact that I have a thumping sound system in my car, I tend to favour blasting out songs that take full advantage of my system. I've only got a handful of tracks that I like, but I am very keen to find out more from the genre. 'Don't you Worry Child' is probably my favourite song from that side of the tracks (is that house music? I'm terrible with genres...), and anything that sounds like that/them would be awesome. You seem like a lady in the know, what do you recommend?

The Dainty Dolls House said...

These are awesome songs & I love playlists as well. I have one to do my rowing machine and other work outs. I can't do them as well if I don't have music playing, it gets me pumped to do it. I'm not a runner either, haha. Though, maybe try it sometime. I hope you have a super weekend doll xox

Elle Sees said...

totally love your music taste, now i just need to start running. i have no stamina!

Elle Sees said...

Beam Me Up-Cazzette
Sour Cherry--The Kills
Infinity Guitars--Sleigh Bells

Emily {Isnt That Charming} said...

"Dog Days Are Over" really is the best running song! So is "Drumming Song" by Florence.
Isn’t That Charming.

Sara Louise said...

I cannot run without music, it motivates me and keeps me from getting bored. Your playlist looks fantastic, I'm going to add the songs to my grooveshark :)

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I WISH I were a better runner, my body just can't do it! But I love your song picks, and agreed - SexyBack, JT can do no wrong. Love him!!

Meg {henninglove} said...

love this story! what schools were you two recruited to run for? my husband is a cross country and track coach at a local college and i want him to run with me more but i feel like i hold him back i definitely dont run as fast as him

Syed said...

Fuuuuudge, how the heck did I forget about N*E*R*D?? Been listening to a ton of Pharrell lately, but for some reason I've been forgetting them entirely. So much better than all this A$AP stuff everyone is listening to these days.