Sunday, October 9, 2011

Sorry!

I've really dropped the ball on blogging/commenting, and I'm SO sorry.

I started work this past Monday, and I'm absolutely loving it so far. My classes seem (mostly) motivated, and I haven't had any issues yet. My coworkers are amazing, the hours are great, and even though I'm working in the hood (seriously), I feel completely secure and safe (I've also made friends with the homeless man outside of Dunkin Donuts, who just for reference is NOT a fan of strawberry frosted donuts - sorry, bro).

I'm already positive that I'll have some amazing stories to share with you guys - already I had a mother of one of my students give me four ways to contact her and told me that if her son disrespects me or cuts class to call her so she can "whip his ass." (He's actually a sweetheart - relief!).

However, when first starting out in any job, it's easy to become slightly overwhelmed at first, which is what I'm experiencing now.

Since I'm teaching adults Pre-GED skills in all subjects, I have the power to create my own curriculum - while this is great because I do get total control and can plan whatever I want, but on the flip side, there's just no basis for where to start/what to cover/what's expected of me and my students, which is a little stressful for just starting out and being out of my element.

I've spent most of the weekend working on lesson plans for the week, so hopefully I can do a real post and catch up on all your blogs within the week! Miss you guys - hang in there with me while I attempt to get it together!

xox

Currently listening to: Jay-Z and Kanye West - N*ggas in Paris (DOCO dubstep remix). (Kanye is surprisingly effective music for writing lesson plans - who knew?!).

14 comments:

Leslee said...

Congratulations my friend on your new job! Sounds like you have a fantastic oppirtunity to make a difference in these peoples lives! They've chosen the right person for the job :-)

Anait said...

Oh my gosh....CONGRATS, girl, on your new job!!! So exciting! Hahaha the first year I moved out I lived in the hood...I've got some funny stories for you, too.

And you gotta love homeless people that are PICKY ;)

Enjoy your new work, and take time to relax!!

The Dainty Doll's House said...

Congrats!! That sound awesome!! I hope it will continue to go well for you!! Wish you a great Monday and thanks so much for the kind words!! xx

HiFashion said...

I am so happy for you! I'm so glad you love your new job.

Elle Sees said...

glad you have a job working out for ya.

amy b.s. said...

hope it continues to go well. my sister teaches first graders and is always full of great stories.

Ashley said...

Lesson-planning and teacher stuff is seriously taking over!!! I'm trying my best to stay updated, too. No worries, lady. You'll always have tons of readers, especially in all of those fellow teachers out there who can totally relate! (Aka, definitely this girl right here.)

Can't wait to hear how it's all going soon! Keep in touch! xo

Sara Louise said...

Don't you even fret about being absent, sometimes real life takes over and it doesn't leave much time for blog life. That's pretty much been me for the past two months anyway.
Best of luck with your new students! x

monica said...

good luck with work!!!

Chevon J. - La Bella Vita said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and thanks for your kind words and encouragement.

And oh my gosh! Good luck teaching. Your class sounds great. I can imagine teaching adults is much different than teaching kids and hopefully the adults are much more receptive.

You have great stories already. I'll definitely be checking back in to see how that's going!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Wait you're teaching adults and a student's mother is still whipping his ass? Lol um...strange!

SO happy for you! I hope it's amazing. I know you'll do a fantastic job :)))))))

Kristin said...

I'm so happy to hear that you're loving it! Way to be lady!

Amin said...

Congratulations! I also can not find free time for blogging...

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Woohoo! Yay to you!! I'm so happy everything is going well with you and the job!