Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wedding Wednesday - Roommate Edition.

Being graduated from college has been such a crazy adjustment (I feel like I say this in one form another probably too often) - it's been over a year now since I've been done, but I still miss so much about it. Believe it or not, I actually miss going to classes, having a routine, the clubs/organizations I was a part of, and most importantly, my friends and roommates.

I consider myself truly blessed to have found a core group of friends that I'm still extremely close with. While my roommates and I didn't always get along (except actually and surprisingly my roommate Rach and I - who were randomly paired to live together freshman year and continued to be roommates for all four years!), now looking back on it, I don't dwell on those negative things, only the positives from it.

Some readers who have been with me for a while might remember (vaguely, I don't expect you guys to keep tabs on everything I do, obviously! ;) that last year I was in the wedding of my roommate Chelsea. It was a really fun celebration, and the first wedding that I was ever officially "in", so it was an extremely special time.

Weddings always bring out the emotional side of me, and especially now that my friends are getting married (no, really - when did I get so old?!), I find myself becoming more and more cheesy and sappy as I watch these people that I've fought with, done their makeup, cried on their shoulders, watched copious hours of Sex and the City and Friends with, drank too much with - dress up in their gorgeous dresses (or suits!) and commit to a life of happiness and fidelity with someone.

I've been to a ton of weddings over the years - some with budgets as high as the cost of a house and some that weren't quite on that level, but to me, it's all about the celebration of love and happiness (I told you - it brings out the sappy side of me).

I got the invitation for my roommate Amanda's wedding in August (I honestly thought for a while that I wasn't invited, since the wedding was in September and the invitations were literally sent out mid-August), and immediately planned my trip back to Pennsylvania to attend the wedding along with Rachael (Chelsea wasn't invited - Rach and I were the only college friends who received invitations due to budgeting).

So much had changed for all of us in the year since we had attended Chelsea's wedding - Rach and I both broke up with our long time boyfriends, we had new jobs, had (pretty much) adjusted to life back at home, and were now talking about grad school, moving, finding ourselves.

It was so much fun to return to Pennsylvania, catch up with old friends (and make new ones) the night before the wedding at local bars, and get ready with Rach the next day for the wedding, as we had gotten ready for so many mixers/formals/nights out during our four years of living together.

Amanda and Kyle's wedding was different from any other wedding I had ever been to, but it was what they wanted, and was perfect for them.

The format of the wedding and the times was a little different, with the wedding ending at 3:45, and the reception not starting until 5, so Rach and I headed out for post-hangover Chic-fil-A (seriously, the waffle fries and Oreo milkshake - the only vegetarian friendly options - were almost an instant cure) to kill time. The counter people commented on how we were dressed, because apparently dresses and heels aren't typical fast food outfits (who knew!).

302897_585067078887_16600378_32636806_313904341_n

303879_587468688011_213002022_32655611_1773474252_n301231_587468787811_213002022_32655612_757819237_n

The reception in and of itself was definitely different - it was held in a fire hall, and had a Phillies theme to tie in Amanda and Kyle's love (read: Kyle's obsession) with the baseball team.

296763_1945457005120_1503378020_31647018_1945667768_n319222_587461093231_213002022_32655383_560052814_n

Rach and I were seated at the table with the other people our age (two that definitely took a liking to us), and we ate, we drank, we danced (the drinking helped with that), and then we drank more and loaded up on copious amounts of desserts (seriously, the dessert selection totally made up for the fact that I ate a plate of broccoli for dinner).

319457_587461018381_213002022_32655380_333779937_n

317609_587460788841_213002022_32655372_233671217_n

Rooms is so tiny that Rach and I tried to compensate for our height by awkwardly bending, so excuse the way our legs are positioned.
321669_587460978461_213002022_32655378_705500513_n313700_587460888641_213002022_32655375_236715397_n301149_587460918581_213002022_32655377_1893911935_n

310471_587461297821_213002022_32655391_1038693402_n316148_587461407601_213002022_32655395_171590211_n

I swear other people were dancing too.
291949_1945477285627_1503378020_31647077_117306989_n

Best friends.
312682_587461232951_213002022_32655389_203998840_n

Cranberry and vodkas, vodka sodas, and ridiculous amounts of dessert. Open bar = win.
321594_587468658071_213002022_32655609_960809916_n

Aside from the wedding and how much fun we had with our friends, the second highlight of the evening came when one of the guys that Rach and I sat with took her outside (abruptly, in the middle of the Cha Cha Slide no less) and asked for her number, to which she nicely said no.

The next morning when she and I woke up and checked Facebook, I had a message from the same guy who told me that he had "spent the night talking to the wrong roommate," but warned me not to tell Rachael he'd written to me. Really (read: Could this guy really be that big of a douchebag? Answer: yes). We got a lot of mileage out of that one with "sloppy seconds" jokes. Guys, just so you know, no girl wants to be second pick, especially not to her best friend.

All in all, the weekend away was so necessary and I can't wait for my next trip to Pennsylvania to visit my amazing friends!

Do you all go to a lot of weddings? What have been some fun memories for you from weddings you've attended?

If you haven't yet, make sure to enter my giveaway!

Currently listening to: Bassnectar - Color Storm Remixtape

22 comments:

Claire Kiefer said...

OMG! That guy sounds RIDICULOUS!!! I can't believe he asked your friend out, she said no, and then he asked you out! Clearly he knows nothing about women. I hope you shamed him via facebook.

I've been to a zillion weddings and been a bridesmaid in . . . 6 I think? Granted, I'm 30 and I'm from the South where people get it done EARLY. I love weddings . . . all the more so when I don't have to be in them (and can wear what I want, don't have to pose for silly pictures all day, etc.).

Congrats to your friend!

Ed Pilolla said...

weddings are a lot of fun. i remember a cycle of weddings when i was out of college a couple years later. now i'm in my late 30s and there's another wedding cycle commencing.

Ash said...

That guy sure knows how to play the field.

/sarcasm

And really? You ate a plate of broccoli for a meal? Surely there's some sort of award given for doing that? Either that or you get some MAJOR street cred.
The dessert does look pretty spiffy though.

Sounds like you had a good time, and you look great, as always :P.

PS: I still maintain that you were the only one dancing in that photo. Someone has to get the groove started, yeah?

Haha :P

Kristin said...

Most of my friends are married now...This makes me so sad as I LOVE weddings! Y'all look like you had a blast!

ellie said...

I loved the bubbles....so quaint and fun. Its been a while since I've gone to a wedding. My boss wore what one wears in an Indian wedding..yet they had a neighbor sing a country song at their wedding. Quite a mix. Very interesting.

Thanks so much for the note.

Ashley said...

Weddings are the most fun! Looks like you had a fabulous time- I love your dress! And I almost died laughing at your Chick-fil-A pre-reception stop. Hilarious and totally something I would do! Waffle fries and milkshakes... come on, nothing's better!! Also, ew to the guy who Facebooked you after the wedding- I can't believe that! Well, actually, I can- I'm just sorry it happened! Haha. Hope you're having a great day, darlin! Glad you liked your award :) I'll keep ya posted on the city-after-graduation dream! xoxo

Nicole Marie said...

oh chik fil la! their nuggets are so good!
i went to a wedding and went to in n out in between the ceremony and reception haha so good!

dani said...

What a blast! :)

HiFashion said...

My friends have started to get married as well. I'm definitely with you on being sappy about it all!

You girls look stunning for the wedding and the bride is so gorgeous. Congratulations to the happy couple!

The Dainty Doll's House said...

They look wonderful!! Congrats to the happy couple, what a beautiful day!! xx

Syed said...

Duuuude that sounds like one heck of a fun wedding! I always enjoy weddings where things are a bit more casual, because you can actually relax and enjoy things. I think weddings should be about that, sharing a fun moment with the people you care about.

amy b.s. said...

as the husband and i are now past the age that everyone seems to get married, all of our college friends are in fact married off. so now we never see them because it was always a wedding that brought us back together. kind of sad...we actually have to work at our friendships now!

Couture Carrie said...

Such cute pics!
I love weddings :)

xoxox,
CC

Elle Sees said...

I'm glad you had fun, minus the food and dude issues!

Nicole Linette said...

Ally I love how you're always able to make the best out of everything! The Pennsylvania trip really looks like one of those 'back home' type of things-- it must have been a fun break from city bustle for a bit. Everyone looked great, I really liked Rachel's gown! Oh god and being in France... pastries and cakes, everywhere. That dessert bar sounds like my daily challenge to resist!!

And despite the distance, I feel like I've made lifelong friends with friends back at school as well. I enjoy your stories so much :)

Cheers to the weekend, my dear!
nicole ♥.

Diego R. Wyatt said...

Love love love this story and that you still connect with your friends from school. People take friendships for granted these days and it's unfortunate. It's great that you celebrated (and looked amazing doing it--those heels are to die for!)

I haven't been to a wedding since I was around 8 years old. I can't wait for my friend's nuptials next spring though. My favorite thing about weddings is by far the cake and food, but mostly the cake : )

Gorgeous shots and I love the dress. You all look like you're having a blast!!!

Amin said...

Hello! I wish all the best to them!

Legally Brunette Kate said...

It's so weird to have friends who are getting married and engaged. I don't know when we finally became real adults!

Olive said...

Thanks for your sweet comment awhile back :), and I am definitely enjoying Fossil. Ah weddings, so exciting! None of my close friends have tied the knot yet(which is good seeing how we are all 19-20, haha,) but when the time comes where the weddings and babies start rolling in, it will definitely be exciting to be a part of. I haven't been to a wedding since I was really young, but I can imagine it will be fun now from an adult perspective--especially in respect to the desserts and open bars(!) Everybody looked great in your pictures, I love the coffee shade with the black in your dress, very classy. It's awesome that you had Rach to go with, events like that are definitely the most fun when your best friend is there. Otherwise the dancing and the adverting creepers just loses its charm. I can't believe that guy seriously thought he could get away with getting rejected by your friend and then swooped in to try to snag you! Like you "wouldn't tell" your friend---ha! Guys like that are such a joke, atleast it gives you something to laugh at. I hope everything is going well with you :).

♥ Olivia

Chevon J. - La Bella Vita said...

Wow. You guys looked beautiful. I wish your friend many, many years of wedding bliss. They look like such a happy couple.

Also, thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog!

Kate said...

I was just thinking yesterday that it still feels weird on Sunday nights-like I'm forgetting to do my homework!

I haven't been to ANY friend weddings yet. One of my HS friends just got engaged so hopefully more weddings in the next year!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Hi friend! I'm finally catching up on blogs, I've missed you! So happy for your friend! :)