Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Positive Thinking.

To say that the past few months have been challenging would be a gross understatement. For a while, my life seemed to have taken this downward spiral, and as hard as I tried to see the positive or the beauty in the situation, things just kept coming up to knock me on my ass.

That saying "things come in threes?" - definitely more fun when it's three positive things - when things start coming in negatives by the droves, it's really easy to get down on yourself.

I can't pretend - I started to feel really bad for myself. I journal my feelings when I get really overwhelmed, and then read them back and reflect on what I've written, and where I've come - it's usually a rewarding thing to look back and see progression of self through the years, and how I've grown from the curveballs that life has thrown my way (some self inflicted, some not).

When I was reading back on some of my journal entries from the past few months, I think I was doing a self pity thing - and it's okay to feel sorry for yourself every so often, but when you start pitying yourself and only looking at the negative things, I really think that those things become your complete focus, and it becomes impossible to see the positives.

I allowed Poppy's death to become a crutch for me to feel sorry for myself - to withdraw from some of my friends, and then mope around and feel even more pathetic/sad/sorry for myself -- and that is the exact opposite of what he would want for me. That realization didn't all of a sudden make everything better, but it gave me strength, gave me motivation, and helped open me up to look for the positives.

tumblr_lrkrmrshoS1qmi5uao1_500

I have like, twelve subdivisions of inspiration folders on my computer, and one of them is just filled with words of encouragement - so when I get down and discouraged, I've been looking through them for inspiration.

So for when life throws you hard times - no matter what they are, I hope that these words/pictures can bring you the comfort and inspiration that they've brought me.

tumblr_lls23hnml31qjbzhho1_500tumblr_lhi07s4ejF1qbzn4mo1_500tumblr_l96rhnHF4m1qzbcjoo1_500tumblr_lgxy0tJQIP1qg5peqo1_500
tumblr_la46coHDj91qbttbko1_500tumblr_lhq4bt4xLZ1qg7inno1_500

This is one of my favorite quotes of all time.
tumblr_liymj1XEkA1qzwaddo1_500

tumblr_ljkl6gCCtT1qg83gmo1_500tumblr_liwkocPPjV1qfgb83o1_500tumblr_ljgiuiMjac1qcg527o1_500tumblr_lkla7r5SJ31qhcbq9o1_500tumblr_lke5iwqr6D1qewn1fo1_500tumblr_lrohafp2Ob1qaouvno1_500tumblr_lmgn4ug5on1qfgb5vo1_500

tumblr_lmedoiFyz31qb7tnno1_500tumblr_lqolth0Sub1qei80ro1_500tumblr_lmt55gQM0t1qgc7a0o1_500tumblr_lro902Teje1qf42lao1_500

It was honestly when I consciously adjusted my attitude that I was only able to see the positives, which I really believe opened me up to seeing the beauty in life. If I had continued with my bad attitude/self pity, I think that I would have let a ton of experiences pass me by, and who knows if I would have gotten a job, had great times with my friends, or enjoyed the company of my family.

I'm not saying that by looking for the beauty in life, you'll never get down or discouraged - that's a total normal thing to experience. It's when we let that sadness/anger/negativity control our lives that we're too clouded to ever see the positive (and I love you all too much to want you to feel that way!).

To end it with a quote from a children's book that resonates so strongly with me (that is actually inscribed to me in one of the last cards Poppy ever wrote me on my 23rd birthday, which is so hauntingly beautiful),

"If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

-Christopher Robin; Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne

Love you all and am just an email away if any of you ever need anything - you all make me happy/inspired. xox

Currently listening to: Primetime - The Throne (Jay-Z and Kanye West).

17 comments:

Lauren said...

Just what I needed today, thanks for the extra ounce of happiness! Much appreciated.

xo,
Lauren
mildmediumhot.blogspot.com

Elle Sees said...

Great quotes. I collect them...and memories.
I once heard someone on Oprah say to write out your life. Now look back and see if you wrote it as a victim, or as a victim's point of view. Realize how lucky you are, even in the hardest of times, and rewrite it as the hero.
Very hard to do, but very true.

Ash said...

A positive mindset and perspective can practically get you through pretty much anything. I think I was talking about this with someone before..? :P

I love the quotes too. George Bernard Shaw seems to have a knack for good quotes that pick you up, same with Ralph Waldo Emerson. Who is personally one of my favourtie 'quotists'.

I wish I could be a philisopher. I'd philosophise some top shit.

Ha, anyways, great post, a real pick-me-up.

dani said...

I love this.

It may sound cheesy, but after reading Eat Pray Love a couple years ago, I really realized how important a positive outlook on life is!

Smile. :)

<3 The Daily Dani

HiFashion said...

Sorry to hear you've been so down lately! When I feel that way, I definitely think of the positives: I'm healthy, have a roof over my head and have a really good support system.

Love all these quotes. They're all so inspirational.

amy b.s. said...

amazing. feel better and i too have folders and folders of quotes. it's sometimes difficult to see the positive, but eventually, it will shine through.

ellie said...

Very inspiring. Just what I needed.

Lani said...

Thank you!

Couture Carrie said...

Love this post, darling!
So many amazing quotes!
Thanks for the inspiration and stay strong :)

xoxox,
CC

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I ♥ LOVE ♥ this post. I think we all get weighed down and sometimes it's hard to see the positive, but with posts/quotes like these how can a smile not be brought to your face? I actually wrote down the George Elliot quote a few years back and carry it in my wallet. I love it.

Thanks so much for posting this. You brightened my day. When you are having a down day, just remember you are loved by me!!

P.S. I noticed the Rachel Bilson pic on your sidebar. Did you see my instagram pic?! I'm also blooging about my Rachel experience Monday!

Gracey said...

This was SUCH an inspirational post, and very much what I needed right now. You picked some amazing quotes :)

Kimberlee said...

Aww, we can all relate. My mom said "life doesn't ever hand you anything you can't handle" which I like to curse out "fuck you life" but once I get through it, I appreciate it. It's totally understandable not to be able to positive 24/7 but don't focus too hard on the negatives because it's a lot of effort and is a viscous cycle to get out of.

Amin said...

I agree with Gracey...

Legally Brunette Kate said...

I love all of these...definitely saved some to my inspiration folder. Thanks for sharing!

Claire Kiefer said...

I've been meaning to comment on this forever! The window has been open on my laptop for days. Thank you for this much-needed reminder; so many of these quotes & ideas resonate with me right now, and I admire your commitment to seeing the positive. Sometimes it's tough, but it's true that we waste so much time just DWELLING. Here's to embracing the positive & letting go of the bad stuff . . . <3

i.r. said...

I've found that reading a good book that deals with other people's sufferings - I know, that doesn't sound very compassionate, but that does the trick for me - helps me put things into prospective.

I just finished "Arthur and George" and currently reading "the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks". Both books deal with injustice and minorities and while neither of these things diminish our own real or imaginable woes, they make you count our personal blessings as well.

Hope things will get better for you soon :)

The Dainty Doll's House said...

Love these, they are fantastic!! Thanks for visiting me doll, I appreciate it. Love your blog..am following along now :) Have a sweet day!! xx