Friday, September 2, 2011

Out of Cape Cod Tonight.

There are times when I definitely take certain things for granted - there are things that I have just become accustomed to that I don't realize aren't the norm, or that are things that I should be thankful for on a daily basis.

Vacations and time with my family at the Cape are definitely one of those things. If you were a fly on the wall in my house and hear my parents try to convince Pat and I to go away with them to the Cape, you'd think that they were asking us to shave off our eyebrows, or set ourselves on fire by the way that we fight it to the death.

When my parents first bought the house 10+ years ago, there were new things to do, new places to explore, and we enjoyed going up and feeling the place out (plus, Pat and I were young, and it was probably illegal for us to stay home alone).

Unfortunately, over the years the Cape house has become something that is mundane - a long drive for doing the same things that we could do at home.

My parents have sensed the apprehension of Pat (when he was living at home) and I about going to the Cape, so they've been putting forth a lot more effort to switch things up - to go to different restaurants, go to different museums, or just switch up the routine of the same old.

Knowing that they really are trying to encourage us to come up with them, I agreed to go up last weekend (with no forcing or prodding), and we ended up having a really nice and incredibly relaxing time.

It's amazing what switching up the basic routine can do - while we still went to our favorite restaurants, we varied the day to day activities, and just did a lot more to enjoy our time there. There was a lot of time spent together, but also room to breathe and kind of do our own thing as well.

And there was ice cream eaten every single night, so really - I don't think I could complain even if I tried.

Family dinner at Bonefish before dropping Pat off at the airport and heading to the Cape
(where I got carded and Pat didn't - really?!).
DSCI2461DSCI2460

Rainy day preparation.
DSC_0348

Sunsets on the beach (amidst probably a billion mosquitoes, which caused us to sprint back to the car after taking a grand total of two pictures).
DSC_0363
DSC_0365

Sightseeing and shopping around the Cape with my mom.
DSC_0456
DSC_0460
DSC_0457DSC_0453DSC_0452

Sperry is basically mandatory Cape Cod footwear.
DSC_0346

The Ice Cream Cafe has become a new favorite place - I opted for the fro yo, which they literally blend with anything you want - from fresh fruits, to actual pieces of carrot cake (for real), to chunks of chocolate - they advertise as there being hundreds of options and combinations to try.

DSC_0368DSC_0367

Carrot cake blended fro yo and raspberry blended fro yo with Snow Caps. Perfection.
DSC_0343DSC_0372

Pescetarian friendly family dinners on the deck (with Coop begging for pieces to be dropped under the table).
DSC_0350DSC_0354DSC_0355

On the drive home, my mom and I poked around and took a back way out of the Cape, where we stopped at different places along the way at our leisure (since my dad had left a day early since he had to be back at work). As we headed out, we spotted this cafe created from an old Victorian estate, brightly colored and eye catching (with a very cheesy name).
DSC_0466

DSC_0468

DSC_0464

Thanks to the wonders of UrbanSpoon, on the way home, my mom and I found another little ice cream place in Connecticut, which we gladly stopped at since we knew that when we got back to Jersey, we'd be stepping back into real life (and diets!).

The Old Lyme Ice Cream Shoppe was adorable, and had an incredible set up. Definitely a great way to end a relaxing (and fattening!) vacation. (Also, their home page features Carlton Banks dancing - as if ice cream wasn't a big enough draw to begin with!).

DSC_0481

DSC_0472
DSC_0470DSC_0471

So cute.
DSC_0479

When my mom took this, she said,
"I'm sure you're used to double fisting cups of alcohol at frat parties, so this must be a new thing for you!" DSC_0480
We also had a really beautiful and fun dinner at one of our favorite places, which I'll do in another post because I already went way, way too photo heavy on this one (sorry - blame it on the fact that I'm a visual learner!).


Currently listening to: Ready for the Weekend (Fake Blood remix) - Calvin Harris. (I am still clearly mourning the fact that I'm not going to EZoo).

20 comments:

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

This looks like SO much fun - I want to come to the Cape with you guys! We went when I was little on a family trip and I loved it! I have my sperrys ready to go! (Seriously they are my fave shoes!) And I love your mom's comment - lol!! Have a great holiday weekend! xoxo!

Syed said...

Oh my, what an absolutely beautiful place to be able to escape to!

Ashley said...

Your pictures make Cape Cod look so amazing! I've always wanted to go. Love the ice cream shoppe- so cute! And I died laughing at your mom's comment! So funny. Also, carrot cake AND raspberry fro-yo!? Heaven. Hope you have a great weekend, girl! Xoxo

amy b.s. said...

what a fantastic little trip!

▲my• said...

What a fantastic little trip. All of the photos are beautiful, and so much yummy ice-cream!

MizzJ said...

hahaha how nice of your mom to reference your party life! If my mom said that to me, I wouldn't be sure whether to feel insulted/chagrined or laugh!

Couture Carrie said...

So fun, darling!
I love the Cape too!
Thanks for sharing these wonderful pics!

xoxox,
CC

HiFashion said...

Cape Cod looks amazing!!! My friends parents went there and I was so jealous after looking at her pictures when she visited (I think she went to the same Ice Cream place, hehe). Looks like a perfect and relaxing trip.

Ash said...

Nice, looks like you had a really great time.

And also... the pic of you with your back to the camera while you stare at the sun and the pic of the gift shop (or whatever it is with the candles and pumpkins) are both AMAZING. Very awesomely taken photos.

Life must be going to be a bit of a drag when you get back to Jersey after the time you must've had at the cape :P

Legally Brunette Kate said...

LOVE the sunset photos...incredible photography skills right there!

And this post is making me very hungry for some ice cream, too!

legallybrunettekate.blogspot.com

Jocelyn said...

Wow.

1.) I missed your blog, I was so busy that I didn't blog at all, I can't wait to read all the stuff that I missed!

2.) Thanks for your sweet comment, and I am excited to be back so we can tweet our newest musical loves :)

3.) The Cape looks amazing, and man that ice cream looks so good...

4.) Sperry's are my everyday footwear! I love them. Those are adorable ones, I need to get some classic leather ones. Mine are so worn down from my trip!

5.) I need you to tutor me on how to upload photos onto blogger... I am handicapped when it comes to technical things. You think I am kidding? I am not.

6.) I LOVE your previous post about all the editorials... oh my I wa drooling by the end of it. Like really.

7.) You rock. I love you.

-Joce

t said...

Nice pics! I want ice cream now! :)

http://initialed.blogspot.com

Diego R. Wyatt said...

I am so excited to back dear! And even more excited to catch up with my favorite bloggers.

I have never visited the Cape, but these pictures are incredible. I love the shot with you in the grey look with the white stripes. That shot is breathtaking.

One of the few things I miss about living near my family is traveling with them.

The ice cream shop is adorable and your mom is hilarious.

BTW: I'll take some carrot cake froyo. YUM!!!

Diego
www.howtozipyourfly.com

Amin said...

Hello! I liked Your blog! The Sunset photo is more beautiful!

Turtles and Pearls said...

I don't even know where to start! The ice cream looks delicious, and the sunset picture is beautiful! Coop is so cute! I'm jealous of your trip!!

la petite fashionista said...

looks like you found the perfect way to switch up the routine family vacay. plus your post is making me crave fro yo hardcore (carrot cake, seriously?! yum). your pictures are gorgeous and you look so relaxed and happy!

Audrey Allure said...

Lovely images - that sunset photo is just gorgeous! And that ice cream shop, sounds like an amazing place to visit!

Gracey said...

Gorgeous photos! It looks like you had a lot of fun! And that ice cream menu is ridiculous!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

This sounds like THE most perfect weekend ever! Really, you gotta take me one day :) I think I'd fall in love with the place and want to stay forever!

Loving all of these photos, especially the one of you and facing the sunset - it's perfection.

And you def look young (so carding is understandable) but your bro looks even younger lol! How was he not carded? And how was I not carded three times this weekend? See, now that makes me sad. I guess once you hit 28 it's all downhill lol :)

OhioGirl said...

What a beautiful trip! You made me tear up a little!!