Saturday, July 16, 2011

Boudoir Inspired.

When it comes to my personal style, I tend to play it safe. I'm very simplistic in my look, and am well aware of that. While I like my style, there are times that I really want to venture out of my comfort zone and be more adventurous.

I live vicariously through fellow bloggers, friends, and even strangers I see in the city or on Lookbook, because I'm just in awe of the way people find their own personal style.

One trend that I'm fascinated with is the lingerie inspired look. Maybe it's just because I'm a small girl, or not as confident in my body, or whatever it is - but I'm completely jealous of people who can totally rock the exposed bra tops, or sheer blouses, completely inspired by lingerie.

Something I love about fashion is how versatile it is - how a lingerie inspired look can be shown on the runways of Marc Jacobs or Stella McCartney, and then get filtered down by people who adapt the look into their own budget, and to fit their personal style.

Runway-Lingerie-2Bra-Top-Fashion

However, there is a fine line with this style -- you either end up looking classy and put together (thanks to tailoring and playing up one key piece being inspired by lingerie -- this way you can avoid looking like J Woww).

ALL CLASS, OBV.
jwoww stripper

While I could never pull off the no pants look like Ms. Gaga, she completely (and overtly) embraces boudoir fashion.

lady-gaga-500x700Lady+GaGabungalow 8 nightclub 290109

And obviously the trend has been widely seen on red carpets by celebs.

rochite-vara-lenjerie-intima_4b14dc6771tumblr_ljb7mjbanF1qza7uho1_500

The 12th Annual Young Hollywood Awards Sponsored By JC Penney, Mark. & Lipton Sparkling Green Tea - Backstage60682158PARIS : Rihanna

But personally, I love seeing how real-life people are rocking this look (and not looking like prostitutes either!).

tumblr_ll3wbzklp01qbs8zzo1_500tumblr_llzpfxKLWq1qav0yso1_500

tumblr_lgk27hDbqA1qad2wmo1_500tumblr_ln1r5rkyrN1qi7225o1_500

tumblr_ldc91gU1CX1qc6folo1_500tumblr_lmx6c7Hegv1qc4cmeo1_500

tumblr_lmj776eqLO1qho3bao1_500tumblr_lmik13PP0g1qf7ikto1_500tumblr_lmm7z0EAqX1qdr0s2o1_500

tumblr_lm33pzllRp1qzh0vno1_500tumblr_lnw5k5KyJB1qbs8zzo1_500

1409977_gia1410943_lookbookgarden1

Nightgown inspired (and perfectly paired with a Chanel 2.55).
tumblr_lknnk2PIga1qbs8zzo1_500

tumblr_ln0xt9vTiJ1qepqlyo1_400tumblr_llsjdk9zlT1qfrbyqo1_500

I was lucky enough to recently receive some lingerie from Lingerie Please, including a perfect convertible bra from Baci Lingerie (for when I'm too shy to try to rock the exposed bra look!).

DSC_0235DSC_0237

Have you tried out this trend?
How have you paired it to be in favor of fashionable rather than slutty? (Unless that's what you're going for -- if that's the case, no judgment!).

Lately I've been trying my hand at this look through racerback tanks with lace trimmed bandeau tops -- small steps, but it's working for me for now.

Currently listening to: The Reeling - Passion Pit.

18 comments:

Nicole Linette said...

I think lingerie can be really elegant if it's styled the right way-- and I work with bandeaus as well! That's just about it for me, and I'm sure lace ones are very pretty. I love lace and bustier tops.. there just isn't enough to 'boost' here hahaha.
Selena Gomez-- wish I was her, no lie.. and Leigh Lezark, I'm fairly certain she's wearing Chanel there, but she always looks so cutting edge. Nice research on all the photos!

And, I adore "The Reeling". I hope you're having a fabulous summer, I'll be back in the City tomorrow for another day :D

Cheers,
nicole.

HiFashion said...

I'm jealous of girls who can do the exposed under tend as well!! I don't think I could ever rock it, but some others look great in it...although I've seen examples where it's not at all classy either.
The celebrities are rocking this trend! Selena Gomez looks amazing.

Couture Carrie said...

Really fun and sexy post, darling!
Loving these lingerie inspired looks!

xoxox,
CC

Tamara Nicole said...

Yeah lace, ruffles and sheers :-) Love the trend, I have several lacy fun pieces!

Kristin said...

I haven't tried it since my exposed bra strap SATC lovin' days...but I do love it!

Elle Sees said...

I wish I could rock this look!

la petite fashionista said...

i love this look when done tastefully (i.e. now j-woww hahah). i think the lacy bandeau paired w/ dress/tank w/ wide armholes is a good start! :)

Love, Lolli said...

I love the feminity that this look can inspire, so sweet and gorgeous when done in a tasteful manner. I love all of the photos.
XOXO

Gracey said...

I love the look but around here in a smallish town, I would get looks like I'm the devil. I love how you posted JWoww haha, great post :)

Sara Louise said...

It's definitely a look where one has to tread carefully, but when done correctly, it's so chic.
I have a black silk cami trimmed in creme colored lace. I wear it with jeans, heels, and a creme cardi. One of my favorite looks xo

amy b.s. said...

i could never pull it off, but those that can with class are amazing.

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I dont think I could pull it off at work, but I love the look!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I lover Ashley Green's look the best! Way cute! I recently bought a top that my mom said looks like lingerie lol. She clearly doesn't like it, but it's not that bad. I am afraid to bear to much for fear of a nip slip haha!!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

P.S. Totally have your site up so I can listen to the music ;)

cailen ascher said...

i think this trend can be super chic, but idk if i could pull it off. i feel like i would be too self-conscious : )

Audrey Allure said...

I've tried a bright colored bra under a lace tank w/ a cardigan over. I love the look better when it's more subtle.

Syed said...

I think too many people doing the trend badly has made me rather dismissive of it unfortunately. In certain circumstances it can look absolutely fantastic though!

The PvdH Journal said...

I did a see-through top just this week ;)

PvdH -designer and illustrator

www.ThePvdHJournal.com