Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Personal Touches.

I recently Skyped with my roommate (who I lived with for all four years of school), and we were reflecting on the fact that just a little over one year ago (on May 8th), we were graduating from college.

So much has changed since then - for better and worse.

One of the biggest adjustments that I have had to make is the loss of freedom and sense of identity I had when I was at school. I went from having an apartment, friends that I lived with who were always available to do things, limited responsibilities, and a sense of ownership in my life.

See ya later, apartment and unconditional freedom.
29966_533391187923_30202579_31505998_1876705_n

I love having projects - having things that make me feel like I'm accomplishing something. Being a slob kabob and lounging around watching TV all day is something I can do once in a while, but I'm not one of those people that can just sit around.

I miss having something to call my own. I miss having projects, having things that make me feel good about myself - that are mine, and mine alone.

tumblr_li10ydx2lr1qasivjo1_500

My family gives me free reign to do what I want in my room and everything, but it's still just a space that I'm pretty much borrowing from them. The house screams that it's theirs, and there really isn't much that is mine.

Exhibit A & B: It works for WASPy parents, but it's just not me.
DSCI2260DSCI22582

In my room right now, there are little things I've done that make it more moi and less my parents, but they're so minuscule in the grand scheme of things, and just make me desire my own space where I can have total control all the more.

Coffee table books that appeal to my interests.
DSC_0264

Magazine holder (actually a handwoven bag I bought from a trip to Africa - I love the color!).
DSC_0267

Corkboard to hold my costume-y necklaces.
DSC_0268

When the opportunity came for me to move into one of Poppy's homes (he kept the house that he bought with my Nana back in the 50's, unbeknown to any of us until a few months ago), fix it up, and help to clean out all the accumulation of crap from probably 50 years up - I jumped on it.

Immediately I started dreaming of ways that I will fix up this little house -- the little touches that even a limited budget can help to just bring a sense of identity.

There isn't a ton of free reign associated with moi moving, but there are enough little and inexpensive things that I can do to really bring my personal style and character into this house (once the green shag carpeting - no really! - is removed, of course).

Apothecary Jars.
Perfect for storage in just about any room of the house. You can find them anywhere - garage sales, antique fairs, Etsy.

tumblr_l4wg2swoYw1qzbqbwo1_400-1

I love that this one is vintage and French!
il_570xN.200081568

Fresh flowers.
My mom has flowers everywhere in our house. Every room has some floral arrangement, and big or small, I love that it just adds something special to a room - even just an unexpected pop of color and life.

tumblr_lm40uh3lhB1qdyp1io1_500tumblr_lm2hkwltjN1qzrkblo1_500

tumblr_lksapwyqRI1qcn20ko1_500tumblr_ljjd9lLtm41qbr8r3o1_500

Mini home bar.
Perfect for entertaining, and can be as big or small as suits you!

tumblr_l34xmwvJyD1qzbqbwo1_400-1

Pictures.
I love pictures - whether of family and friends, or of fun artwork. I think the framed art/photos around a house really say a lot about who lives there.

tumblr_lhz7q486nf1qzlj37o1_500tumblr_lgj6a2Idtb1qb8w4uo1_500

tumblr_lmciouemFS1qbkljzo1_500

Shelves with personality.
Use shelves to showcase the things you love! Paint them, fill them, arrange them to fit your style.

tumblr_lg7nk0msIL1qdctyyo1_500tumblr_lloesrTzZk1qzrkblo1_500

tumblr_lkgguba2eF1qaxnfco1_500

Mason jars.
Whether to hold flowers or items, or to be used as glasses, I think these are ridiculous country chic. I cannot get enough of Mason jars, and plan to not buy glasses, but just use a ton of these instead!

tumblr_lmlfv4tbkE1qlow3so1_500

tumblr_llivqwE1eS1qbad5jo1_500tumblr_lj1xqaofTm1qa61uxo1_500

Unique odds and ends.
I love little statement pieces that say something about the things that you love.

tumblr_kvr64hKWW31qzzeoeo1_500tumblr_llvebxjawo1qbqhdyo1_500

tumblr_liy78eu4H21qemqfjo1_500tumblr_liu3o050Pt1qztggxo1_500

So, until I can have complete control (and a much bigger budget than what my dad is giving me for this little project), I'll be keeping my dreams on a smaller scale - and enlisting the help of friends to help me paint, move boxes, and do all the bitch work (plying them with promises of homemade dinner and wine helps).

tumblr_llyrbuuJ0s1qabm2oo1_500

I'll keep you all updated -- there is still so much work to be done until I can move in, but I'm excited about the prospect of being out on my own (even for a short time) again!

How do/would you decorate your home? What inexpensive touches do you have in your room/home that give a sense of your personality?

Hope you're all doing well! xox

Currently listening to: Power - Grum.

15 comments:

Sara Louise said...

Ugh, being an adult and moving back in with the parents is so not fun. When I knew I was moving to France, I moved in with my mother for a few months to save money. Sure I decorated my room to make it 'mine' but how much time can you stay in your room?!
I do love the little touches (the corkboard for your necklaces is cute and functional) and seeing your ideas, I'm sure your new home is going to be fantastic and have your personality stamped all over it! Best of luck with your move xo

amy b.s. said...

i hope you document this entire process. i'd love to see the before and afters of the house.

Kelly @ The Startup Wife said...

Oh, how exciting! I LOVE all these pictures--especially the blue shelves. Perfection. I can't wait to see everything!

Also, I bet your grandfather would LOVE knowing you're living there. From the way you described him, it seems like he would just get a kick out of that and be really happy he could provide that for you.

Can't wait to hear more about it!

HiFashion said...

I totally get what you mean about not having the freedom to do what you want with your space if you're at your parents. And for some reason, that olympic poster is really making me laugh, hehe.
I love that bag you have as a magazine holder as well.

Jars really add some personality to houses. I love them. I'd love to have rustic tables when I get my own place.

Can't wait to see how you get on.

▲my• said...

How neat!

I'm still with my parents so I definitely know what it's like to have less freedom in terms of decorating the way you want. They are fairly good about me decorating my room though :)

Can't wait to see how the project unfolds.

Nicole Linette said...

Ally, I am absolutely thrilled for you!! I always have dreamed of designing and enveloping an entire home with myself. And I'm sure you'll have semblance of your Poppy as well ♥
I love, love the idea of utilizing recessed walls and multi-layered shelves. The fresh flowers with unique antiques and vases are beautiful! This past year at school the merit of mason jars finally dawned on me-- so those would be a staple for myself as well. I'm currently in the process of revamping my bedroom wall, but as I keep saying to my parents, there simply isn't enough space here for that I can claim.

I can't wait to see how everything comes along. All the best!! xo
cheers,
nicole.

MizzJ said...

These are great ideas for decorating! I'm sure your "new" place will be fine. Maybe you can even find a way to make shag carpeting work haha

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Ohhhh so so so exciting my dear! You have such wonderful taste I know the house is going to look fabulous - just like you! And I totally agree about having flowers in the house. I try to always have them even if they aren't expensive, just something that gives the place a little pop! Sending hugs from across the country to you! xoxo!

Kristin said...

Your African bag is so gorgeous. Love how you repurposed it as a glossy holder!

la petite fashionista said...

I am SO excited for you allison! this is the perfect opportunity for you to regain ground and feel like yourself again. decorating my little house has been such an awesome experience and i'm constantly inspired by design blogs and dreaming up things i want to do w/ it. PLEASE keep us posted w/ your progress.good luck!!

Gracey said...

I LOVE your corkboard idea to hold your necklaces, such a cute idea! I can't wait to see pictures of your place!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

What? That's awesome!! Congrats! I love your decorating ideas :) And the black and white photo, second picture, under unique odds and ends - LOVE it! I am obsessed with black and white fall photos. I think that me be the one I never purchased from Target and regret to this day!

I was so excited to decorate my place and I have been on my own for two years, yet I feel like I have an apt. but not a home. I have all of the big stuff - couch, table, ottoman, TV, etc that were the big purchases. I also have wall art, but I feel like I need those little touches still. Been wanting mason jars for, well forever now :)

Diego R. Wyatt said...

I love decorating, I get it from my dad. He redecorates every month it seems, always painting and hanging new artwork and buying new furniture. I love your plans on moving past your college apartment and really infusing your personal style into your decor.

I just moved and I am still decorating. My bedroom is a smoky grey color and I have a wall covering on one wall that is black and white and of a forest. Also have tons of framed B&W photos of James Dean, who I am slightly obsessed with lol. Get the theme: everything is black white and gray. I have punches of color in accent pillows and rugs, etc. as well.

I adore apothecary jars and have this really cool clear dry erase board (like the one they use in police stations). This is what I use to write and jot ideas, etc.

You can tell so much about someone by their decor. What I love most is working within a tight budget to make a space really come together.

Now I am off to watch some HGTV! lol


Diego
www.howtozipyourfly.com

Jenna said...

I am so happy for you! A place to call "MINE" is just so important. I can't wait to see how you fix it up (with all the adorable little goodies you showed us here. :) Keep us posted! BTW, I am re-entering blog world. I decided I missed it far too much and I feel like I'm BACK and revived and ready to go again. I missed my blog and the lovely people LIKE YOU that make it all worthwhile. We need to catch up. I am not kidding.

Miss you!

XO,
Jenna

P.S.
I am also obsessed with fun artwork. I have a picture that defines "sophisticated" hanging on my wall and it's probably the best thing in my whole room. Just saying. :)

Leslee said...

I can only imagine how you feel...

Just know that the little things that you do to have a bit of your flair around is a great idea!

Remember too that soon enough you will have a place of your own, and you'll have to clean it!! Hehehe!