Monday, June 20, 2011

Easy Peasy Dinner and Dessert.

While I absolutely love, love, love to cook, and plan on doing a ton of it during the summer, sometimes time is precious, and I really don't have the time to spend hours chopping, sauteing, and prepping - then cooking something in the oven for an hour.

I've slowly been weaning meat out of my meals (I've actually abstained from it entirely for over a month now) - it's just something that's working for me, but it has absolutely not been easy, since it has meant cooking all my own meals, since obviously I cannot force my family into making this change with me (hello more reasons for my own apartment!).

So when I offered to cook the other night, I wanted something that wouldn't be ridiculously time consuming, would be meat free and healthy, but also totally satisfying.

I headed over to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, where I loaded up on seasonal fruits and veggies - and at Trader Joe's I found that they have whole-wheat pizza dough for (drumroll please)... $0.99/lb.

This pizza was seriously the easiest thing I have ever made. I slathered it with sauce (pesto on one because my mom isn't a tomato sauce fan, and organic marinara sauce on the other), sprinkled it with low-fat Mexican blend cheese, and then loaded it with vegetables.

Seriously - this summer, if you are in a food rut - try making your own pizza! This was so easy peasy and tasted AMAZING. Plus, it was great to have more than one slice with absolutely no guilt.

There really isn't a recipe, because seriously - use your imagination and do whatever you want with it! Switch the sauce from plain marinara, try different cheeses, put unique toppings - be inventive!

We also only had one pizza stone at my house, so I used a cookie sheet for the second pizza - so don't let a lack of a pizza stone hold you back from trying this either.

Whole wheat pesto pizza [with grilled asparagus, tri-colored peppers, onion, black olives, and carrot].

DSC_0232

DSC_0236

DSC_0239

Whole wheat pizza [with organic marinara sauce, baby spinach, tri-color peppers, red onion, carrot, and grilled asparagus].

DSC_0234

DSC_0235

*~*

For a complimentary dessert that can help you get in a serving of fruit, I have another ridiculously simple and fool proof recipe for you guys, that I actually made for the first time on Mother's Day and have made for myself probably twenty times since then!

Sometimes it can be a struggle to get your daily servings of fruits and vegetables - I love having fruit for dessert, but sometimes I need just a little bit more.

The recipe is actually for sauteed peaches, but we had over two pounds (thanks, Costco) of strawberries that were basically begging to be used, so I threw them in with the peaches. This recipe can really be tweaked for individual servings, larger servings - whatever you want, but it is delicious and ready in less than five minutes!

Sauteed Peaches (or whatever).
Tweaked from this recipe.
4 servings

Ingredients:

2 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tbsp. sugar
4 large peaches, sliced and cut into wedges (obviously this is the part that can be tweaked)

Instructions:

1. Slice peaches, or whatever fruit you choose into wedges/slices (don't keep them whole).

DSC_0253

2. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.

DSC_0252

3. Stir in the sugar into the melted butter.

DSC_0254

4. Add the peaches/fruit into the sugar butter mixture. Stir together until the sugar dissolves (you'll easily be able to tell when this happens).

(Sugar hasn't dissolved yet).
DSC_0255

(Dissolved sugar - stops bubbling and turns almost a pinkish color because it blends with peach juice).
DSC_0256


5. Cook until peaches/fruit are warm and coated with the sugar/butter mixture (about 2-4 minutes).

Coated and perfect.
DSC_0257

6. Serve immediately (with a scoop of ice cream/whipped cream, if you like!).

DSC_0258

DSC_0260

Seriously - easy peasy and DELICIOUS (and healthy!).

If you guys have any good, low-cal, vegetarian recipes, please send them my way.


Currently listening to: MSTRKRFT ft. John Legend - Heartbreaker

16 comments:

Couture Carrie said...

Delicious post, darling!

xoxox,
CC

Madison's Mommy said...

YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY! Seriously, the pizza looks delicious! I love Summer Veggies! I wish that we had a Trader Joe's here in Dallas...at least we have lots of Whole Foods Markets! Hope life is treating you well sweet bloggy friend!

XOXO

MizzJ said...

Ooo these both look so delicious! I would never have thought to use pesto instead of marinara, thanks for the tip!

amy b.s. said...

everything looks amazing! can't wait to try these out!

Tracy-Girl @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

Ammaazzing, girl!! This post is making me hungry ;)

Sara Louise said...

I've been making pizzas for a couple of months now and I seriously cannot stop myself! So easy, so delicious! And yours looks so fantastic x

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Ummm YUM!! I love that these are easy, healthy and of course delish! And beautiful photos as always! xoxo!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Looks.So.Good. YUM! I stopped eating meat almost three years ago as my New Year's Resolution. It's def hard. I now eat chicken and fish but just abstain from beef and pork (I needed some protein). I still crave it like crazy though, not gonna lie.

P.S. You blogged about shrimp stuffed jalepenos like a year ago and I totally have the recipe on my fridge. I tried making it once and bombed but I WILL try again! ;)

HiFashion said...

Both look delicious! I love the look of that pizza, and will definitely have to try it. I've only started trying my hand at cooking, but I think I've mastered some pretty perfect mixed vegetables.

Nicole Linette said...

You know how I adore food-- writing about it, reading about it, eating and creating-- and your post is no exception! I loved the photo instructions, I'll have to try the sauteed fruits soon. I love making my own pizza, it just makes me squeal over how healthy it can be. It's a fun meal to make with friends too.
I just posted about a pesto pasta salad I made last week. I'm sure it would be delicious with whole wheat pasta; all the sauce is a blend of pesto, a bit of mayo, lemon juice and seasonings. I also have a recipe for a basic apple or peach baked crumble. We have to swap recipes!!

On another note-- I intend on blogging about this next, but I finally visited NYC for the first time! I was only there Sunday and Monday; otherwise, I would have definitely begged you to come out and show me the city. Basically, I am enamored, and can't wait for the day I come back (on my own terms, so I can do and see who and what I want)!

Take care, cherie!
nicole.

Em [The Writer] said...

Mmmmm looks so good! I am so going to make that. Thank you for the recipes and have a great week!

Gracey said...

Yummm everything looks so delicious! Especially the fruity dessert. I'm trying to eat healthier so I will definitely try that out soon!

la petite fashionista said...

cooking just for me has been one of the biggest adjustments for me! your pizza looks seriously amazing. a trader joes in smalltown wisconsin would be ah-mazing ;).

i'm sure everyone loved your meal!

heather @ mrs. southern bride said...

Mmm, looks delicious!

Lee Oliveira said...

Yumm.. you made soooo hungry!
lee x

TigerLily said...

Oooh the pizza looks so very yummy! And so is the sauteed peaches, you're making me hungry -Lol

YURI
http://twothousandthings.blogspot.com