Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Let Them... Wear Hats.

I promised that I wouldn't do a typical Royal Wedding post. I mean, I could go on and on forever about absolutely everything - I think that every piece of the wedding was stunning and I am more in love with Prince Harry now than ever before (though it's kind of a tie, because I now also have a massive girl crush on Pippa).

One thing stuck out to me more than ever, that I think completely distinguishes the Royal Wedding from any other wedding I've ever seen in my entire life.

The hats.

I now have a new love for all things hats/fascinators and Philip Treacy. Now, if I showed up to a wedding in the States wearing a Philip Treacy hat, people would probably throw rocks at me for stealing the thunder of the bride - but at the Royal Wedding, clearly nothing was stealing Princess Catherine's (!) thunder, so the bigger the hat, the more socially acceptable.

Treacy in his "workshop" with his glorious fascinators.
PhilipTreacy1

I can still remember seeing my first Philip Treacy hat. I was mesmerized by the absurdity of it, and just how well-constructed and flawless it was.

SJP at the Sex & the City premiere. Stylish and outrageous in true Carrie Bradshaw fashion (with a Philip Treacy headpiece).
sarah_jessica_parker_in_philip_treacy

I was also 100% jealous, because this girl is absolutely not a hat person, unless it's one of those beanies that hangs off the back of my head and makes my brother refer to me as a "hipster asshole" (the love of Vampire Weekend doesn't help my pleas to the contrary).

Philip Treacy pieces have been worn over the years - he didn't just pop up for the Royal Wedding, though he has been a favorite of the royals throughout the years.

SJP again in Treacy, and a gorgeous (but impractical) Treacy runway look.
sarah-jessica-parker-hatstumblr_ksxj4bsEYq1qzclmuo1_400

Naomi Campbell attending Isabella Blow's funeral.
FASHION-ENG-LONDON-ISABELLA BLOW-CAMPBELL

Fabulous overload: Treacy and Emma Watson for Harper's Bazaar in 2008.
harpers-bazaar-hermione-emma-watson6

Gaga, ooh la la.
lady_gaga_hats

Princess Beatrice actually wore a more scaled down version of this Treacy piece.
philiptreacyprincess-beatrice-butterfly-hat

Queen Elizabeth II passed on her love of Philip Treacy to her future grandaughter-in-law.
img-mg-kate-and-elizabeths-hats-blackwhite_233507655731

(The Queen is so freaking adorable).
2502173586_055c69999b

And now, the best and the worst of the Royal Wedding.

THE BEST.

The ever adorable Queen Elizabeth II (along with Carole Middleton and Camilla - all in Treacy fascinators).

weddingmain18788893264508193

queen

Victoria Beckham with a subtle but gorgeous Treacy fascinator (along with the ultimate accessory, her hubs David).
Victoria-and-David-Beckham-Attend-The-Royal-Wedding-561x1024

t1larg_beckhams_itn

Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece, showing how it's done in her lovely Philip Treacy fascinator.
1B09ABCA

Lady Frederick-Windsor (who I never knew of before this wedding, but think that she is the epitome of class).
Lady-Frederick-Windsor

Cousin of the princes, Zara Phillips.

ZaraPhillips

Worst.

And obviously the title of the worst belongs to Princess Eugenie, along with her sister Princess Beatrice. I'm sorry, but seeing these pictures of them reminded me of one image:

Stepsisters-cinderella-18561379-300-221

No?
princess-beatrice-eugenie-royal-wedding-outfits-hats

Are you all still riding the Royal Wedding high? I swear, I might never stop talking about it.

Are you a fan of the fascinators by Treacy, or do find them tasteless and tres obnoxious? (To each their own).

Also, in case you haven't seen this yet... (I'll confess, it totally fooled me at first).


(Also, thank you all so much for your support over the loss of my Poppy. The most bittersweet part of it all was the fact that my family received an overwhelming amount of support. You're all lovely, wonderful people who I am so blessed to correspond with through blogging. I'll give a more personal update in the future! Love you all to pieces, xox).

Currently listening to: Back Up in This - Designer Drugs

20 comments:

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I think he's too outrageous for me. BUT a scaled down version may be cute...although us Yankess could never pull it off! ;)

I honestly didn't realize that hats were a necessity until the royal wedding (which I tried to avoid but ended up giving into and loving!!)

And re your comment, we will take lots of pics and do lots of fun stuff! Totally understandable if Vegas is off the list. Your flight is expensive enough! We can find cheap stuff to do while you visit. I'm totally tagging along with you and your friend for at least a day...if you weren't aware yet hehe!

Em [The Writer] said...

So I didn't know much of Treacy before but I definitely love and recognize his hats! Of course I could never pull of hats either so we can be beanie-hipster-assholes together while listening to Vampire Weekend :)

Sadly I did not have enough time in the day to watch The Royal Wedding but I am hoping to God you will spill all the details later!

Hope you have a fabulous week dear!

HiFashion said...

I am so in love with Prince Harry now as well. And Kate did look absolutely gorgeous.
Lol, I loved seeing all the hats! Some of them were craaaaazy, but Phillip Treacy is an absolute legend.

I thought the Queen was looking fab in yellow and I loved her hat. And Victoria Beckhams was my favourite.

Looool, yes: Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie were not pulling those hats off.

Couture Carrie said...

Fabulous post, darling!
Love all this gorgeous millinery!
And your ugly stepsisters analogy is right on!!

xoxox,
CC

Madison's Mommy said...

I LOVE Prince Harry even more then I did before...he would be a blast to have a pint with ;-)

I loved all of the fashion and agree that the Queen Mum totally rocked the yellow...she looked fabulous!

Pippa has the best style...did you see the pic of her in the bright blue fitted blazer...love!

FUN post!
XOXO

Pop Champagne said...

HAHAHA your cinderella analogy made me laugh, it's so true!! And I love how victoria beckham can wear like 7 inch loubous and STILL be shorter than david beckham! so funny and cute at the same time

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Oh my gosh I was all over the Royal Wedding! Woke up at 1 a.m. to watch and still loving all the specials I have on my DVR. And the hats - amazing! I so wish we did this in the US. Hope you're having a great day!

Elisa said...

I'm so sorry about your loss Allison. The story you wrote about your Grandfather was very touching. Every single photo of him, he is always smiling, just like you do!

about the wedding, I only saw a few parts, but yes, I agree Pippa looked amazing! fun hats.

Happy Cinco the Mayo and thank you for your sweet comment. You always brighten my day!

Lee Oliveira said...

I love hats.. Victoria's hat got my attention at Kate's weeding. Very chic
lee x

April said...

Oh my j'adore all the hats/headpieces:) I only wear those beanies too...
Your stepsister analogy is completely correct; it made me laugh haha:)

Diego R. Wyatt said...

I am a huge admirer of Treacy's work and his creations for Katherine and the roya court were no different . I really admire the range of his work: everything is not over the top, but all have a whimsical flare that signal that it's a Treacy design.

SJP always picks great Treacy hats to wear and I love love love how Naomi always finds a way to wear Treacy's work. (I think she once wore one of his Warhol-inspired pieces fashioned in the form of a Campbell's soup can)

Pippa is amazing to me. She is stunning and I love her sense of style.

Diego
www.howtozipyourfly.com

MizzJ said...

hahaha omg they do resemble the ugly stepsisters!! Not even a horrid hat can distract from that. I doubt I could pull off anything as crazy as this, but it's very cool that the royals do so. I can't even pull myself together enough to wear a feather headband haha

.helen said...

i just love those hats! even the most crazy looking ones

amy b.s. said...

i definitely agree the hats were impressive. i so wish it was a more popular trend here!

Gracey said...

Those are some serious head pieces! I do kinda like the lobster one Lady Gaga is wearing, it's just so weird haha. I didn't watch the royal wedding, but I saw the highlights, fascinators everywhere!

la petite fashionista said...

I feel like Americans just don't "get" the crazy hats, but i think everyone looks seriously amazing. i'm still all about the royal wedding too. Kate looked so so gorgeous in her dress!

Also, just saw your post below. I am SO sorry for your loss! I just lost my grandma last year (the first person I was close to that has passed away) & it's still hard! you're in my prayers :)

Tracy-Girl @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

I am so with you on the hats.. they were so interesting to see! I am not a big hat fan, but I did think some of them were cool!

Jocelyn said...

ah! I need Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece's dimples. I you have just inspired my next post! DIMPLES. I love them.

I love this post! The two sisters really made me laugh. It is so true, that's what I thought of when I saw them also. TOO funny.

I totally thought that T mobile thing was really for a few seconds, thats awesome. I wish they really did that in Westminster Abby.

Love you, hope that you and your family are doing well :)

-I just went on a huge music binge the other day, now that school is over I have more time to music hunt! yumm.... I will tweet you some tunes lata!

-j

Kristin said...

Gosh I wish I had an occasion that would give me an excuse to rock something as fabulous as one of his creations!

A New England Girl said...

I really loved the green SJP creation. I thought it was so perfect for her. I often think he is a genius, but other times I think he's a complete quack. Beatrice's hat at the royal wedding was atrocious, and no matter what he says, it cannot be defended. I have liked quite a few of the fascinators he has made for Kate Middleton, but overall, his style is a bit too over the top. The one thing I loved about the UK while living there was the wide array of hats/fascinators worn to all sorts of formal occasions. I wish the US took a more formal approach in fashion when it came to big events like weddings, dinners, etc.