Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wedding [Gown] Wednesday.

Confession (and another reason why I keep this blog 100% private from people in my real life):

I am already planning on taking off from work the day of the Royal Wedding.

That's right - I've got serious royal wedding fever. I cannot wait to see all aspects of the wedding play out on TV -- and I especially can't wait to see what dress Ms. Kate Middleton is going to pick out (especially because her style is just beyond, and she is ridiculously lovely).

I get wedding fever so easily -- I get swept into the magic of it all, but being a mayjah fashion lover, the wedding gown is my absolute favorite part of the whole thing.

From a young age, I've adored pouring through my parents' wedding pictures - amazed that even though they got married while my mom was at Harvard for med school while my dad was finishing up his MBA for engineering (aka, they were dirt poor), they still put together a celebration that was them - filled with love, friends/family, and great food.

[Pat and I have repeatedly asked my dad if he was stoned during his wedding which he denies. However, it was the 70's, and he has mayjah a case of stoner eyes in all these pictures, so the jury is still out on that one).

DSC_0232

DSC_0239DSC_0235

DSC_0233

Thanks to the magic of technology, and my never-ending subscriptions of magazines, I fuel my love of gorgeous weddings on a regular basis. (Sidenote: I promise, I am not one of those crazy girls with marriage constantly on my mind - I just like pretty things/weddings).

Even fake weddings - like those on my favorite TV shows get me all worked up and completely in full wedding fever.

snapshot200904090154513
tumblr_lde5jzQ3wX1qeegeyo1_500beautiful-wedding-dress-in-Hollywood-Moviessex_and_the_city_wedding_dress_01

These are some of my favorite dresses/looks from the years (and I do mean from the years).

Audrey Hepburn (in Balmain!), Grace Kelly, and Elizabeth Taylor (on wedding #1) knew how to do high fashion for their weddings.
Audrey Hepburn in Balmaingrace-kelly-bride-790440-794x1024liz taylor to conrad hilton 1950

Tia Mowry in Kevan Hall:
Tia Mowry in  Kevan Hall

Mariska Hargitay in Carolina Herrera (I love her so much).
Mariska hargitayCarolina Herrera

Portia de Rossi in Zac Posen (and Ellen was wearing Zac as well!).
portia de rossi zac posen ballerina inspired gown

Vera Wang seems to be a favorite among celebs (and who can blame them!):

I still love Jessica Simpson's dress/hair/everything here (even if her marriage failed..).
jessica simpson vera wang

Ali Larter.
Ali Larter Vera Wang

Hillary Duff.
173397.Hilary-Duff-in-Her-Wedding-Gown.jpg.resizeHillary Duff Vera Wang

Victoria Beckham (I think I'd look a bit happier if I was about to marry David Beckham, but that's just moi).
Victoria-Beckham in Vera Wang

Ivanka Trump (who had Vera Wang specially make this dress to be more covered, for her Jewish ceremony).
Ivanka Trump Vera Wangcovered up because of Judaism

Chelsea Clinton (the laser cut skirt on this dress just makes me die - so gorgeous).
chelsea-clinton-vera wang

Alyson Hannigan in Badgley Mischka.
alyson_hannigan Badgley Mischka

Okay, honestly, I am 0% a George Bush fan, but I thought Jenna Bush's Oscar de la Renta wedding dress was just so lovely.
20080526-750-66Jenna Bush Oscar de la Renta

Carolyn Bessette in Narciso Rodriguez (Rodriguez was apparently an unknown designer, but close personal friend of the soon-to-be Mrs. Kennedy - she definitely helped to put him on the map!).
carolyn bessette to jfk jr in narciso rodriguez who was then unknown

Nicole Richie in Marchesa.
6a00e553e1e6ec88340147e0d147d0970b-800winicole-richie-wedding-dress-marchesa

Jenna Dewan in Reem Acra.
channing-tatum-jenna-dewan-weddingJenna-Dewan-Reem Acra wedding-dress

Obviously though, if I ever do end up getting married, I'll go the route of Katie Price - clearly since our boobs/builds are the same, it will be just as perfect on moi.
katie price

Is anyone else dying for the upcoming Royal Wedding? (I swear, Lifetime is also fueling my excitement, since they've made a movie about the whole thing airing soon).

What is your favorite celebrity wedding gown/wedding gown designer?

Images via InStyle.com; Google, Just Jared

Currently listening to: Datsik - Gizmo.

25 comments:

Jenni @ Story of My Life said...

Awww man... I wish I could have my wedding all over again, but with about a 10x larger budget. Meh.

These were so fun to look through. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I think my favorite was Chelsea Clinton's!

Your parents were ADORABLE.

And PS - we aren't moving anymore. PHEW. Long story, but it looks like we won't be real like BFFs after all. :'(

Hope you have a great night girl!!

la petite fashionista said...

I've never been one of those girls whose always dreamed about her wedding, but it recent years (since I've had a lot of friends getting married), its making it feel much more real! Theses are all so beautiful! i love anything lacy and vintage looking!

MizzJ said...

All these gowns are so gorgeous!!!! Well, except Boobs McGee there. I cannot wait to shop for a wedding dress. I'm going to drive the stores crazy trying on them all hahah. The bigger the better! Love how fantastic and hard to walk Hilary Duff's must have been.

It really is too sad that we're on opposite coasts! I have heard you guys have epic cupcake stores!

Kelly @ The Startup Wife said...

I ADORE Alyson Hannigan! I've never seen her wedding pictures before, but she looks so lovely! I really liked her red hair. I love her dress.

I also adore George Bush! Juuuuuuust kidding. But Jenna's wedding was really beautiful.

Your mom's dress is so gorgeous! I LOVE the lace. My mom is like, half my size, so doing anything with her wedding dress would've been impossible, but I wish I'd at least done something with the lace that was so in style then. So pretty!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I am so bad...when are they getting married? I know blasphemy lol! I know it's soon since everyone is talking about it! It's going to be on TV?

LOVE your mom's gpwn. Most dresses from the 70s/80s are questionable but hers is beautiful. I love lace. I want my dress to have lace on it. I'm totally into the romantic 20s feel. Although I'm not Jewish, I would totally wear a more covered up dress like Ivanka's.

I also love Gwen Steffani's (on her) and Pinks...who had Pink's dress? Someone else wore that same one...Travis Barker's ex Jenna Mokelier (w/e her name is lol!).

Couture Carrie said...

Love this post!
So gorgeous!
Reem Acra is my favorite wedding gown designer!

xoxox,
CC

Lindsay said...

Hahaha you are hilarious taking off work to watch the royal wedding. Why are we so obssessed with looking at wedding dresses? They are so stunning. I particularly love Mariska's, Summer's, Carolyn's, & Hillary's. I always loved Monica's from Friends too.

ps I have a confession. I never watched the oc..you make me want to watch it!

amy b.s. said...

oh grace kelly. i never get over how amazingly beautiful she was. and i too love weddings. and want to do mine again! and can't wait for the royal wedding.

Hanako66 said...

omg i'm taking off work too!!

and this post gave me goosebumps!

▲my• said...

I LOVE WEDDING DRESSES.

Your mom's was lovely!

I'm also quite fond of the one that Anne Hathaway is wearing...

I'm always keeping an eye out for my future gown. Haha silly, maybe, but fun! Also, since in my faith the bride's shoulders are to be covered finding that perfect dress is going to be even more of a challenge.

Claire Kiefer said...

I am all about some celebs but I gotta say that these two don't interest me so much! Who knows what it is. Mostly I love celebrity babies . . . Suri Cruise, SJP's twins, etc. CUTE!

Em [The Writer] said...

Hahah the last dress was so funny! Though I haven't kept up with the royal wedding I <3 weddings in general! I can't tell you how many marathons of Say Yes to the Dress I have sat through! Thank you for showing all these cute gowns! Agh from all of them it's so hard to choose but I do adore Chelsea Clinton's dress :)

Madison's Mommy said...

I LOVE weddings, wedding pictures, receptions...ALL OF IT! My favs are Carrie Bradshaw's, Jenna Bush's, and Ivanka Trumps...breathtaking gowns! Love the post! Your blog is amazing!
XO

Diego R. Wyatt said...

Lifetime made a movie ALREADY...wow that is amazing how interested and engaged people are to this wedding, especially in the US. I can just imagine what's happening overseas.

I love that each wedding dress conveys the personality and style of the woman wearing it. My absolute favorite wedding dress EVER is the Audrey Hepburn Balmain number you posted. Everything about it is fashion-forward--even now--and suits her incredibly well.

As for weddings, I haven't been to one in so long. I just use it as an excuse to scam delicious cake and take photos : P

Diego
www.howtozipyourfly.com

fhenny said...

what a perfect post for today's read
i also love attending wedding because of several aspects, but wedding gown is one of the adorable elements in it!

oh totally love nicole richie and chelsea clinton. i love anything wih cutout pattern like that.

i always adore marchesa, and probably some valentino couture gowns as well

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

You have some great picks here! I loved Jessica Simpson's dress too!! So so pretty and it looked perfect on her!

Gracey said...

OH wow, these dresses are gorgeous! Tia Mowery...wow I didn't even know she got married. I still picture her on Sister Sister!

Kristin said...

This post was epic! You've featured some of my fave dresses of all time! Hillary Duff's and Ivanka's...I died over those gowns!

Thechocolat said...

woow I love the Hillary Duff dress. And LOVE LOVE LOVE Vera Wang :)

*The Chocolat

HiFashion said...

I'm so excited for the Royal Wedding as well. We're lucky as the whole country gets the day off for it, hehe. I'm so excited to see Kate's dress as well.
I love your parents wedding pictures! You mum looks so beautiful.

Bella Harris said...

Oh my gosh, you are so adorable! I always love reading your posts! There's something very whimsical about each and every picture here... and your parents look amazing.

Oh, and Portia de Rossi and Ellen are also among my top picks! xoxox

Much love...

Lee Oliveira said...

I love weeding dresses. And I definitely agree with you when you mention that Vera Wang's dresses are one of the favourite ones from celebrities.
Lee x

Kinsey Michaels said...

I don't know if you follow Caitlin's blog at all, but if you don't I swear you could be twins with your thoughts on the royal wedding!!!
here's her blog:
http://candyflosspersie.blogspot.com/2011/03/i-simply-must-do-this.html

aww i loved jessica simpson's wedding dress too. i hadn't ever seen those pics of Hilary Duff, i didn't even realize she was married. her dress is so flattering!

vojacque said...

i LOVE Portia's dress! i can't wait to see Kate Middleton's!

Herschel Muehlbach said...

If you're looking for a fashionable pair of eyewear that could guard the eyes, try out a Ray Ban 3183 Wayfarer sun shades. Once you build your get and receive ones sunglasses, consider exceptional care advisors. The obvious way to ascertain genuine Ray Ban 3026 sunglasses is usually to visit a new reliable retail shop and obtain these phones demonstrate some ray ban rb2132 sun glasses.