Monday, February 14, 2011

Red Carpet Inspiration: Jewel Tones.

I love fashion, and try to soak it up as much as possible - I collect Vogue and W like they're going out of style, have Style.com bookmarked on my Safari page, and die for all my wonderful Blogger friends and their amazing and tres fashionable posts (and personal style!).

However - as much as I really love clothes, I tend to play it safe. A few weeks ago, I cleaned out my closet, vowing to purge anything I hadn't worn in a year, and either donate it or sell it. I found a whole lot of gray, black, and other neutrals. There were a few pops of color here and there, but I've fallen into the comfort zone of boyfriend cardigans in basic colors with a pair of skinny jeans and boots in neutral colors.

This has become my uniform - so much so, that when I got back from Anthropologie, hands filled with bags the other day, my dad said, "Oh, did you get another new cardigan, Mr. Rogers?" (Whomp, whomp).

However - in past awards shows, I don't think I'm alone in this whole "play it safe" category. I mean, really, how many awards shows have we seen with a play off of a black dress, a one shouldered bor-ing gown, or safe pastels?

This year though, has been totally different. Jewel tones are rocking the red carpet, and I could not be happier.

All the gorgeous greens, deep ruby reds, purples, and especially (my favorite!) turquoise, is just making me squeal with happiness - and is enough to make this girl want to run out and buy as much green, red, turquoise, etc. that I can!

Lea Michele in Catherine Malandrino.
lea_michele_malandrino

My girl Betty White (who is forever Rose Nylund in my book!) KILLS it, rocking a turquoise dress and blinged out jacket - two hot trends at once, you go, girl!
betty-white-SAG-Awards56a00d8341c630a53ef0120a803bd7f970b-300wi

Natalie Portman in Lanvin.
natalie-portman-colorful-lanvin-frock

Diane Kruger's citrine colored Jason Wu gown is so stunning, especially with the red lip!
Diane-Kruger-Jason-Wu-citrine dress-2010-sag

Confession: I am not a Jessica Alba fan at all - so it is a really big deal that I am so in love with her gorgeous look with this stunning Versace dress and perfect jewelry.
Jessica Alba BAFTA Versace

Anna Kendrick in Alberta Ferretti (the color of this dress is an A+, the fit is a C).
Anna Kendrick Alberta Ferretti

Angelina Jolie in Atelier Versace -- I know a lot of people didn't love this, but I thought it was absolute perfection. I hope emerald green never goes away.
63074049

Blake Lively in Marchesa.
1270329i

Rachel Bilson rocks the trend with a jade bag - the perfect jewel-toned accent! (With Matthew Williamson, who is maybe the best accessory out there).
1AB24D14

Mariska Hargitay in Isaac Mizrahi (who knocks it out with a gorgeous sapphire colored dress AND turquoise earrings!).
63263212

But, that's not to say that there haven't been jewel tone misses.

We get it, Katy Perry - you have enormous boobs. I promise I don't need to almost see your nipples to realize that..
katy-perry-dress-purr-mexico-city

Never has there been someone I want to punch in the mouth as much as Scott Disick. Point and case with his dumb turquoise shirt and mismatched short shorts.
Scott_Disick_Gets_360e

January Jones as a high class prostitute in Versace.
63073654

And let's not forget about the boys who are loving jewel tones (especially ruby red!)..

Ignore B.o.B.'s stupid ass scarf that has no place there - I'm LOVING his ruby red blazer.
Rapper B.o.B arrives at The 53rd Annual GRAMMY Awards held at St

Chuck Bass has been rocking jewel tones for-ev-er. Swoon.
chuck_bass_1chuck-bass

And of course, Kanye.
Kanye_West_Jeremy_Scott_Front_Row_in_Phillip_Lim_fuchsia_custom_blazer-1quote-of-the-day-does-kanye-west-have-an-ipad-fetish

And since we all probably won't be rocking a Marchesa mini dress anytime soon - there are some affordable and chic ways to incorporate this gorgeous trend into your every day look!
(All these pieces are from Forever 21 - aka, they are all under $10!).

jewel tones

What do you think of jewel tones as a trend? (Also, any ideas for where I can find some fun and affordable colored blazers?).

I hope you all are having an absolutely beautiful Valentine's Day! Love you all (and am currently planning a favorite things giveaway to show you all just how much!). xox

Currently listening to: Muse - Feeling Good

P.S. I successfully rapped EVERY SINGLE WORD to Super Bass. I am now $100 richer - not too shabby! My mom said to me, "I've never been prouder." (I think she said that maybe when I said the line about panties coming off? Probably a cause for pride for any parent...).

21 comments:

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I love the colors on everyone! Minus Scott! haha! And congrats on the rapping! haha that is awesome!

Lindsay said...

This is making me want to go shopping! I adore jewel tones. Especially turquoise. It dominates all my jewelry, and I'm not even mad about it. I tend to stick to neutral clothes and use pops of colors in accessories like Rachel Bilson.

ps loved lived tweeting with you last night :)

HiFashion said...

I love Jewelled tones. They look so pretty and we definitely need some colours with all the dark/miserable weather we have in London.
I love Lea Michele's dress!

Yay on winning the $100! Hehe

Anait said...

Ahhhh awesome post!I tend to stick to neutrals too..I think i'm a Parisian in terms of color palette...black, grey, and the occasional pop of color via a scarf.

The colors made my day...turquoise is my favorite, but I think the best one out of these is Diane Kruger's mustard gown with her porcelain skin and red lips. Ooof!

I'm on the hunt for a red lipstick....since last September.

Yay for being $100 richer....always a good think in my book :)

Elisa said...

I love the first dress, and I'm like you, I tend to play it safe with neutral colors. I'm lucky I'm spending a few days with my older sister, the fashion guru. She swears by Plato's closet and the clearance rack at Express, so I will team up with her and go shopping. (thank you for the inspiration)

By the way, I agree about punching Scott!LOl what was he thinking wearing THOSE shorts?!

Hope you are having a wonderful day my dear.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

YAY!!! I tweeted you earlier about the rap! Lol and then I turned Nicki on ;) I HOPE you taped it hehe!

And I love her, but what was out girl wearing last night. I know she's a bit eccentric but sometimes I love it (the rainbow hair is awesome) and other times (last night) not so much. I think she had the same wig from the SNL skit.

Anyways I am so like you, always play it safe. My friend actually called me a "square" once becuase I wear too many cardigans. I love these bright colors. I should wear some instead of dressing for a preppy funeral most of the time lol.

Happy V Day! I ♥ you!

Style, She Wrote said...

"There's no one I want to punch more than Scott Disick" lol LOVE it! xo style, she wrote

Kinsey Michaels said...

LOL at your Dad's comment!! i recently purged my closet too and it was so refreshing. there was no point hanging on to abercrombie tees from 5 years ago that are way too tiny!
jewel tones are so pretty, you should try to incorporate some into your wardrobe. or if you're shopping and find yourself gravitating toward a neutral, steer yourself in the direction of something more colorful!

Em [the writer] said...

Love those outfits! Yeah, I know what you mean. I tend to keep it safe. but I think I'll follow in your steps because those jewel tones are adorable! Keep us posted :)

Aw thank you for the lovely comment. I'm feeling much better actually. All I needed to do was watch Social Network again. Haha, hope you're having a great Valentine's Day!

Which by the way, brings me to the fact that I would never ever do this but you are the exception....okay here I go...if I couldn't date Jesse Eisenberg then you would be the only one I would allow to date him. As long as someone amazing gets him I'm fine. Sound good?

Em [the writer] said...

Oh and P.S. I am so now following your tweets :)

theitteen said...

i love love love Jessica Alba's dress. &I usually hate Angelina Jolie's dresses because they make her look old and they're usually black, but I thinked she nailed it & looked pretty hot while doing it! As for B.O.B? That scarf was as awkward as Gaga's egg. Really enjoyed this post :)

Couture Carrie said...

Gorgeous collage and red carpet selections, darling!
Love January Jones in Versace!

xoxox,
CC

Claire said...

Love jewell colours! HATE Katy Pery's dress!!

Jenna said...

I am 100% in love with jewel tones!!! They are so, so fun. My favorites from this post Diane Kruger (stun-ning!), Natalie Portman (I heart Lanvin) and Lea Michelle (she has only really missed ONCE for me on the red carpet!). Also, a shout-out to Betty White--AWESOME. And thank you for that. HAHA!

By the way--I am also super obsessed with cardigans. Oversize, boyfriend/grandpa cardis--whatever you wanna call them. I think they're cozy. And cool, if paired with the right accessories and used in moderation... Rock some color, girl! You're young, fun, and vibrant. Dress like it!! That was my pep talk. Hope you enjoyed. :)

I hope you had a marverlous Valentine's Day/Singles' Awareness Day!! I love that day. Why? Because I always eat tons of sweets and buy myself a new outfit. I hope you did too--just, in the fabulous words of L'Oreal, "because you're worth it." :)

XO,
Jenna

P.S.
Chuck Bass is the only man on the planet that can get away with jewel tones. "I'm Chuck Bass." <-- 'nuff said.

MizzJ said...

Nothing wrong with cardies! They are so comfy and loving, how can you say wrong about them lol. I too am loving all the jewel tones out there. Color is always much more interesting than black, and having all that color out there actually makes black more interesting and sexy again!

Olive said...

Allison, may I just say that I adore you, thank you for that sweet comment on my blog :). It made my day to read it, and I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to write back. One of the biggest things that's helped me realize the importance of family, has come from experiences with people like you. For real, your posts and photos with your family are wonderful, and really quite admirable. Also my best friend here has become really close with her mom, so things like that have gotten me to think about it all. I'm also really fortunate to have your advice, especially with college stuff—it's SO easy to just let yourself slip.. It's amazing how you were able to turn your situation around and graduate from college with honors, that is no small task girl :). Thank you for the proofread offer, I might really have to take you up on that one day.

Since I've fallen a bit behind in my blogging I'll kill two birds with one stone here and tell you that I loved both of the last two posts, the Love and Literature one was really inspiring :). I spent V-Day by my lonesome too, at college, but like you I still love to use it as an excuse to give some love to my friends, and I think that love is beautiful. Today I began a list of books/movies/shows I need to read and watch, and I definitely stole some things from your post ;P, I've been meaning to read Pride and Prejudice since FOREVER, and also I saw a trailer for Jane Eyre coming out in March, and I really want to have it read before I rush out to the cinema. Lots of great suggestions in there.
AHH! Congrats on the $100, hahaha, oh my god, it's so funny/great that your mom would pay you to master that rap ;P!! And your dad's Mr. Rogers comment, hahaha. I love cardigans too, you aren't alone. Loved the post and the fashion coverage, I'm pleased with the jewel tones as well :), glad to see things getting spiced up. Betty looked awesome, that woman is magnificent. Diane Kruger looked SO good, I want that dress, or you know, to be her. Whichever, hahaha. Katy Perry's dress.. ick.
I hope things with you are going well my dear, sorry for this terribly long comment!

Xoxo, Olivia

Sara Louise said...

I seriously need to hop on the jewel wagon too (I mean if Betty White can do it, right?). My closet is a sea of grey. I have no idea when I became so boring. When I was a kid Punky Brewster was my idol and I'm definitely letting Punky down.

Lani said...

I really like the Jessica Alba dress and necklace. And I completely agree with your comment about Katy Perry ;)

Lee Oliveira said...

I also loved this year. Betty White will always be awesome and I just love the Jason Wu.

Lee
x

Kristin said...

Diane killed me in that gorgeous Wu!

Herschel Muehlbach said...

If you are looking for the stylish set of sun shades which will guard the eye area, check out this Ray Ban 2132 Wayfarer sunglasses. Once you you could make your acquire as well as receive your own sun shades, consider particular treatment of them. The best way to find out genuine Ray Ban 3026 sun glasses would be to head to the reputable retailer and obtain these phones explain to you some ray ban rb3211 sun shades.