Sunday, January 2, 2011

Ringing in 2011.

I get really mushy and emotional when I think of New Years. I love the idea of a fresh start - a year that you go into with the hopes that it can and will be better than the previous year. I mean, how awesome is it to have that optimism and hope for the year to come? No matter what life threw at us in 2010 (or any previous years), once the new year comes along, we're filled with hope that this is going to be a special year. There isn't pessimism on New Year's Eve - only the optimism and expectations of the future.

This New Years Eve, was spent laying very low - the Chardonnay was plentiful, lobster was eaten with my parents, my hair was curled, cheese and chocolate fondue was made (by moi!) and consumed (by moi and J), and my parents came home from the New Years Eve party slightly intoxicated and in a cab. Over the past few years, I've spent my New Years Eve in a variety of ways - clubbing and dancing in NYC, watching the ball drop live from Times Square (and freezing my ass off and getting groped by strangers), parties in town, parties with parents, etc. so it was really nice to just kind of lay low this year, and cook something new!

So, my New Years Eve in review consisted of:

Preparations and Dinner:

DSC_0155DSC_0145

DSC_0150DSC_0152

Homemade cheese fondue (take that, Melting Pot!):

DSC_0128DSC_0141

DSC_0136DSC_0137

DSC_0165DSC_0170

Okay, so the cheese fondue was a little clumpy once I transferred it into the fondue pot, but it still tasted good, so I'm giving myself a B+ for a first time doing it.

DSC_0172DSC_0179

DSC_0175

Then, after a very rigorous Just Dance 2 battle (after 3 glasses of wine, which was quite the addition and probably what the people who made the game had in mind for optimal playing), there was chocolate caramel fondue.

DSC_0168DSC_0144

DSC_0181DSC_0182

The pound cake and fruit kept sliding off the fondue fork and falling in the chocolate, and J had way too much fun documenting my frustration with this (there were literally 20 pictures of me pouty faced and cross over not being able to fish out my strawberry/poundcake).

DSC_0189DSC_0190

Success!
DSC_0187DSC_0185

Then came time for me to open my very first bottle of champagne (by myself) ever, which is more confusing than you might think it would be (my dad said I had to do it outside, because he was NOT confident in my ability to open it without spilling it everywhere, hence the outfit change). I'm not going to post every picture that J took (because again, he must have just held down the shutter, there were so many of me making these awful, confused faces), but you'll get the idea!

Uhm, we kept the champagne in the snow to chill it, which in theory was a good idea, but not for someone who didn't want to walk upstairs to grab mittens.

DSC_0196DSC_0199

DSC_0205DSC_0219

And before you knew it, there were 10 seconds left until it was 2011.

DSC_0224DSC_0225

DSC_0227

And of course, Cooper was thrilled because the new year really changes things for him.

DSC_0232

My resolutions this year are things that I believe are different ways that I can better myself, which is something I'm constantly trying to do - work out more, be more positive, blog at least once a week, start weaning out meat from my diet, support companies that are ethical and green, volunteer more, etc.

I woke up early the next morning with a slight champagne headache/belly ache, but was excited to spend the day with J in NYC! (Which will be detailed in an upcoming post - I didn't want to be picture overwhelming any more than I already am!). Talk about starting 2011 off in a good place :)

I hope all of you had safe, healthy, and FUN New Years Eve celebrations! I'm so grateful for all of you this past year, and I look forward to meeting new people and getting to know you all better in 2011 - I really love and am so thankful for you all. xox

Currently listening to: VV Brown - Shark in the Water.

20 comments:

Couture Carrie said...

Happy New Year, gorgeous!
Love these pics!

xoxox,
CC

▲my• said...

happy new year allison!

i so enjoy all of the photos you post!

the weaning meat out of your diet thing is one of my resolutions as well. i've been far to lax in my attempt to become at least somewhat vegetarian.

Nicole Linette said...

Happy New Year's Mademoiselle!!
You look divine-- your curls, eye makeup, your outfit, everything! Your night with your parents and J sounds soo fun, especially with the food and champagne. Haha, my friends and I played a Michael Jackson version of Just Dance ("Beat It" was the best)! I hope to make it to the city one year, too. Can't wait to see your next post, and I hope you continue having a spectacular new year!!!

Cheers,
nicole.
P.s. I loveeee the idea for your monster! I'm obsessed with color names too :D

Anait said...

Allison, you are too sweet! I was laughing so hard looking at your fondue dipping photos...the same happens to me every time! And I have yet to open a champagne bottle...its a disaster waiting to happen! I'm glad you had a lovely, cozy NYE and may this new year be filled with love, adventures, new opportunities, happiness and good health!

And I'm resolving to eat better and exercise more (not hard,since I hardly do anything now...tsk tsk)

Tracy-Girl @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

YAY! Happy 2011, I love that you tried out some new recipes, a great way to start out the year. Love all the pictures, you look beautiful. I don't know how to open champagne very well, but I think when I do, it's best to go outside ;) All of your resolutions are fabulous! Nothing better than a fresh start.

Cooper is adorable, by the way!

HiFashion said...

Happy New Year!! I'm really inspired at how you looking at the beginning of the new year.

You looked so pretty on NYE! That dress is absolutely stunning. And your hair looks pretty amazing. You should definitely try curls more often.

It does look like you had a lovely NYE! t's perfect spending time with family (and food: All your food looks delicious).

minnja said...

So beautiful, happy 2011 :))

Kisses
minnja

http://minnja.blogspot.com/

la petite fashionista said...

hahahah i love the blame it on the a-a-a-a alochol tag ;)

your new year's pictures are awesome! it sounds perfect and way more drama free than mine. we had fondue at my holiday party and it was the best! also, have been trying to teach myself to curl my hair like yours; so pretty :)

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

HAppy 2011 my dear friend!! Sounds/looks like you guys had a great time ringing in the new year! I couldn't think of a better food than lobster - yum!! xoxo!

MizzJ said...

Ooo fondue and lobster sound awesome! Me and my bf spent NYE pigging out on ribs and chicken with his friends haha.

Omg people actually get groped in Times Sq during NYE?! That totally puts a bit of damper on the whole festive idea...

Style, She Wrote said...

Delicious! Certainly looks like a success! xo style, she wrote

Morgane said...

You look so mignonne on those pictures : gorgeous ! I love the night color of your nail polish , i have one from YSL very similar ( wonder if it's not the same ?) ; new year's eve seems to be a good time !
I wish you the best for this nouvelle année , may your goal be accomplished and Profite de la vie !

Kristin said...

Happy new year lady! You looked beautiful...LOVE the polish!

Jazzy E (hivennn) said...

So lovely. Happy new years! x hivennn.

Ioana Liliana said...

Looks like you had a lovely New Years Eve, hope you have a great year!


Fashezine

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Adorable! You are way too cute! Love these pics! Everything looks so.damn.good.

I am now hungry hehe :)

Glad you had a great NYE and day - you deserve it girl!

I hate NYE bc plans always fall through. Too much pressure. Same as my resolutions haha. I've only stuck to one and it was two years ago. I cut out all meat, cold turkey, pun intended ;)

It was hard but I did it for a full year. After that I only incorportated chicken and fish back in.

OK I'm ending this short novel now. Have a great weekend :D

fhen said...

looks like you had a great NYE!
all the best for the year ahead and i hope you're doing well
xoxo

Jenni said...

Fab pics, my sweet friend! I'm so glad you had a nice, quiet, and safe New Year's. Those kind are my favorite! This year Matthew and I didn't even make it to midnight!! Ahhh, boring old farts already! ;)

Can't wait to hear about your time in NYC. And thank you again for your support this last week... it meant so much to me. I heart you!! :)

Olive said...

Happy New Year Allison!
Your new years sounds delightful, it's great you decided to try something new, and it sounds like you had a great time being at home, all grown up :). The curls look great, and everything looks so delicious. Lobester and cheese fondue, can I just say that I'm jealous? I love all of the photos-- way cute how J kept taking pictures of you :). Mmm chocolate fondue.. I just worked out, are you TRYING to tempt me to ruin my progress?? Hahaha :D. It all looks SO good!
Congrats on your first champagne bottle opening! I feel like it would be no easy task. It looks delicious with the strawberry in it, I'll have to give that a try sometime. Aww.. Cooper!
I have a lot of the same things in mind for the new year--I really want to post more, I think once a week is definitely a realistic goal, I think I'll try that. I was a little late on my last post, but I was in NYC so I'll let myself get away with it ;). I hope you enjoy your time in the city too, I can't wait to read about it!

♥ Olive

Rachel said...

Love the pics! And your puppy is the cutest thing ever.