Friday, December 10, 2010

Sanctuary.

So, to me my bedroom is my sanctuary. Okay, it's a messy sanctuary sometimes, but it's mine (and the mess is always just clothes and shoes not rotting food or anything). My bedroom is my go-to place when I want to unwind - whether it's to read, journal, blog, watch TV, or just lay in bed and lounge - it's my place of solitude to just kind of recoup and get away from the drama and frustrations of work, family, J, friends, whatever.

However, my room is not the biggest room (aka, it's a very good size, but I have too much crap and big pieces of furniture which makes me feel claustrophobic). When my parents bought our house (which is an old 1800's farmhouse), they literally had to gut the entire house and add on like, a million times. I swear, we've had probably ten additions since I've been born!

My bedroom was the focus of some serious additions, but it had to made into an "L" shape to fit with the rest of the house, which makes maneuvering it a little awkward sometimes.

I literally dream of the days when I (finally) move out, can paint my room whatever colors I want (because after changing my paint colors a million times, my parents told me I'm done), decorate however I want, organize however I want - all while being able to have a normal square or rectangle shaped room instead of an L (I'm telling you, it's the little things).

I love simplicity with bedrooms - not a lot of clutter or furniture, but a few main pieces in neutral colors, and maybe a really fun colored wall (or a fun colored accent wall). I die for white linen too, which I didn't realize until I found all these pictures that, for the most part, have that element in common.

Give me white linens, a huge bookshelf and plenty of natural light, and I am a veryyy happy girl. These are the pictures that make me want to go whore myself out for a job so I can move out and decorate my own place! (I wish I could say I'm really kidding, and I partly am...).

7nDXBH2jpo1a0b8mq0ZN5nVWo1_500tumblr_kv7m752NHs1qzbqbwo1_400-1

tumblr_l19w8tZfwk1qbvcz1o1_500-1country-plaid-bedroom-1110Rivers07-de

12-lyonpalm-0509-xlg-19501657tumblr_l61eu4kQYm1qzbqbwo1_400-1

This is so not my typical taste, but the fireplace, the colors, everything just works.
13-rizkowsky-0609-xlg-44616456

I LOVE fun chandeliers in a bedroom! I think it kind of adds sex appeal, but in a subtle way (as in, not a stripper pole way).

NxnMt6VdFp70yd26I2VNsXh5o1_500E79gqPphuq63egt60SGifuHbo1_400

qIpYxSsn8py2iesvGIyrKkrRo1_500Branca-6-1009-de

Ditto for canopies.
tumblr_ktincxftg81qzc9d2o1_500tumblr_krlji5BHb31qzdiqvo1_400

I love, love, love the modern glass furniture with the natural headboard - I think it's such a cool juxtaposition that just works so beautifully (and hello, white linens!).
RivieraMaisoninCoteOuestbedroom-1

And while at the moment I am tres anti-children (working with them all day will do that to you - or, I'm just a monster) if I ever have a little girl, I want this for her:

0gw6NwDY0nd7k7lr1ArsOK7Ko1_500

What does your bedroom look like? Or, what would your ideal bedroom incorporate?

It's not too late - you have until Monday at midnight Eastern time to enter my Apothica.com giveaway!

Currently: Attempting to get in gear so I can brave the New Jersey malls searching for Christmas gifts with my mom (and probably stopping by J.Crew and Anthropologie for some gifts for each other!). My mom bribed me into going with her because she promised me cupcakes from Crumbs after! (The woman knows the way to my heart, what can I say?!).

15 comments:

▲my• said...

Bedrooms are sanctuaries. Heck I handmade a banner that's in my room and says "My Sanctuary" for that reason.

I love that third photo. Very outdoors, gypsy, green, lovely. :)

My room is the smallest in the house. Very small. And like you, I have loads of furniture. A dresser, bookcases, a desk, and unfortunately I still have my bunk beds from when I was younger.
I too can't wait 'til I move out, though I will say that in the meantime I've exercised every bit of freedom I have in making my room my own. The walls are covered in collages of clippings from Nylon, UO and Anthro catalogs, and other magazines. I've strung paper cranes together and hung them from the ceiling. All in all I enjoy my room very much, I just wish it were larger.

But that'll happen someday!

Jenni said...

Oh. my. GOSH!! Such eye candy!!! Where did you find all these pictures? Multiple places, I imagine.

I'm saving this for future perusal and inspiration. I'm in love with all these photos!!

And btw, you're comment re: "whoring yourself out" made me chuckle. But I totally get it. Ha! ;)

Kristin said...

I'm all for crisp white linens. Unfortunately living with my boys makes them impossible. HA!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I'd literally take any of those rooms...well except the children's room hehe! Gorgeous options!!

la petite fashionista said...

AH i feel you!! we're seriously in the same situation! I feel like I've accumulated so much "stuff!". I can't wait to move all my stuff out and decorate in ALL my style & start off from a clean slate :)

Couture Carrie said...

What gorgeous spaces!

My bedroom is my sanctuary, too, darling!

xoxox,
CC

Croatian_Latina said...

I agree that your bedroom should be your safe haven. I love all this photos you found for inspiration! I really love the first photo. and the little girl's bedroom is so cute. I could see Beli spending endless hours playing peek-a-boo!

(P.S. I sort of know what I need to put in my suitcases but everything is still piled in one corner,,,you are right, packing is not fun and thank you for your sweet comments.)

have fun xmas shopping!

Frangipan said...

I think I would have to go for the bottom, a bit princess and the pea!

Lindsay said...

Ohhh these are all so pretty. I actually just painted my room after accepting the fact that I will probably be stuck here until summer. Before it was this awful blue sponge paint I picked out when I was probably eleven. Now it's a nice soothing parchment color with all white furniture. Still need to add some finishing touches though!

Jenna said...

My bedroom is just LOVE. I always feel better in there. Even though the clothes and shoes totally pile up too (Honestly, I just can't find the time or energy to pick up lately. It's soooooo bad.), I love it anyway just because it is MINE. Basically, no one bugs me in there. I just shut my door and block things out. Which is needed, as I am a really solitary person a lot of the time. I REALLY need my space each day or I will just start to get all edgy...which is a BAD deal for everybody!! LOL!!

I totally love all these rooms! I have had a slight addiction to canopy beds since childhood, and HONESTLY, I want that last room for my little girl one day!! (Okay, it would really be as much for me as for her...but whatever! LOL!!!)

XO,
Jenna

P.S.
Email me soooooon, friend. ;)

Kinsey Michaels said...

i most definitely view my bedroom as a sanctuary too. when i lived with my boyfriend, we had a beautiful crate & barrel canopy bed that i continue to lust over. i think we have similar taste!

karen said...

My bedroom is a pretty standard size, actually. I can't really symphathize with you on the cramped factor, but I can on the I-want-to-move-out-and-decorate-decorate-decorate. Pretty furniture makes my heart go aflutter! Eee!

I really want a canopy to be drapped over my bed, like in fifth to last photo. I have a really high, slanted ceiling, though.

Send me an email and tell me how you're doing sometime!

MizzJ said...

I've always dreamed of a canopy bed too! I think it's such a girl thing eh b/c I've never met any guy that has wanted one lol.

Garnier wants you to Rock Your Style this season - enter Part 3 of my Holiday Giveaway Bonanza to win a special Garnier hair care pack!
http://highmaintenancewoman.blogspot.com/2010/12/holiday-bonana-part-3-garnier-fructis.html

Tracy-Girl @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

I love all of those bedrooms. Ours is more traditional, we have a big bed and simple colors. I wish we had a chandelier. They are so beautiful and I think they make a room look so cozy!

Blogger said...

I've just downloaded iStripper, and now I enjoy having the best virtual strippers getting naked on my desktop.