Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas Wishes.

The holidays are approaching so quickly - Hanukkah has come and gone, and Christmas is right around the corner (but I'm still craving latkes!).

Rather than stress about the holidays, the shopping, the endless tasks, the inevitable family drama - I'm choosing to look to the positive, and find the things that I'm going to do/have done to get into that holiday spirit! (And I say this while listening to The OC Chrismukkah mix - so I am screaming holiday spirit right now!).

tumblr_lbp3s5izzi1qa69ugo1_500

So, to keep up this festive spirit, and not allow anything (which includes Cooper running away this morning and us finding him way down the end of our cul-de-sac, or being sick for four days and still not having an appetite) to stress me out or turn me into the Grinch, I'm going to partake in the most holiday-ish activities ever.

I will be bleeding green and red for Christmas 2010.

So,

This holiday season, I'm going to...

1. Curl up by the fireplace with a good book (orrr with my Mac - I can't read all the time!).

DSCI2354

2. Have a holiday cupcake at Crumbs every time I'm in the area (peppermint hot cocoa pictured - filled with buttercream frosting - yum!).

204253005

3. Watch all my favorite holiday movies - and probably cry over and over.

Inspiration

4. Donate at least ten pairs of shoes to the Salvation Army, and send a few other pairs to my friend Harriet in Uganda - because I really believe that this season is about giving to those less fortunate (and I in no way need/wear all these shoes - that's just half of one side!).

DSCI2257

5. Get a Frrrozen hot chocolate at Serendipity III.
(If you've never had one of these, go, go, go next time you're in the City - but definitely make a reservation, the line wraps around the block!).

DSCN1981

6. Rewatch every single Chrismukkah episode of The OC.

tumblr_l6hlebZr0w1qcwrtjo1_500

tumblr_l6hdj0b12p1qcwrtjo1_500

7. Make holiday cards.

191960395

8. Get to Rockefeller Square to see the tree (and maybe ice skate too!).

16862_1194325621971_1343340031_505918_1035740_n

9. Spend time with family (and extended family too).

37562_536086541413_30202579_31614836_2674176_n

148329_543011074593_30202579_31832826_4283343_n

10. Eat a huge breakfast on Christmas morning and not feel bad about it AT ALL.

l5DYCzDRZk5esu9xO1M9RMh0o1_500

11. Volunteer at a soup kitchen or food pantry so that I can give back.

"We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn’t always know this, and am happy I lived long enough to find it out."
-Roger Ebert

12. Count my blessings.

13564_528262615623_30202579_31340312_1585478_n

13. Drink a lot of champagne.

tumblr_kohgbhXvVo1qzdiqvo1_400tumblr_kr38i4G3QM1qzdiqvo1_400

14. Drive around neighborhoods/communities where they go crazy with Christmas lights (points if the people actually put them up themselves - my neighborhood is filled with professionally done lights), including the Elvis House, which is pictured below (ridiculous!).

ElvisHouse2007Front

ElvisHouse2007CornerView

15. Bake cookies (LOTS of them!).

tumblr_ld6nueCJp31qf61iqo1_500tumblr_ld92begshw1qcrb3qo1_500

16. Buy gifts for my family that allow me to give back.

(These Punjammies pajama pants are handmade by women in India who are escaping a life of forced prostitution - read more about this amazing organization here!).

Lakshmi_Lily_Full_2_largeMARK-3242_largeDehli_Dawn_Full_2_large

17. Pop over to Starbucks as much as possible to drink the seasonal drinks and feel happy about the red cups.

tumblr_lbqan8fpaH1qzlthbo1_500

18. Not get sick (fingers crossed!).
*Update: I have since failed at Christmas wish #18. Maybe next year?*

tumblr_l4n5cvuMow1qcwrtjo1_500

19. Smile at strangers - especially ones who look like incredibly stressed, or sad, or just like they could really use some kindness. I firmly believe that a smile can change someone's day.

14CgANXUQlwcixcnKb5UKU3Vo1_500

20. Eat a lot of fruits, veggies, and salad (to make up for #2, 4, 5, 10, and 15).

(This is a real life strawberry I found the other day in the package! GROSS - it was not eaten).

30066_766319747034_11300729_43803054_5087649_n

21. Let my mom know how much it means to me that she takes the time out of her busy schedule to make the house look so festive.

4174847265_3ff9c1f4e5_z

3099677302_a7f94eba1b_z

22. Take pictures of all the hysterical holiday things I see - like, when I was walking in Ridgewood and came across Santa and Frosty, who apparently prefer Greek food to anything else on the block!
(Seriously - upon closer inspection it was REAL food!).

202444545

23. Attend ugly sweater parties (I have been invited to four so far, ah!).

ugly-sweater-bridget-jones1

24. Dress Cooper up like Max the dog (from The Grinch), much to his dismay - and maybe buy him a doggie Snuggie (JUST KIDDING).

the-grinch162818_544184128783_30202579_31851527_3287084_n

10728_698250388574_11300729_41177028_6458833_n

25. Make my own Butterbeer - Harry Potter fans (Lindsay, I'm talking to you!), you are welcome for this one!

butterbeer-1

How are you planning on getting in the holiday spirit?
Anyone suffering from the bah humbugs?
Currently listening to: Maybe This Christmas - Ron Sexsmith (This song always makes me happy - and makes me think of The OC, which in case you can't tell, I am very much a fan of!).

13 comments:

Lindsay said...

Your wishes are perfect! I've been watching all my favorite Christmas movies and tonight I made my first batch of cookies! Our cookie exchange is this weekend. I'm also planning on watching all the Christmas Friends episodes.

Dying over the butterbeer recipe!! It's sort of my dream to throw a Harry Potter themed party. Definitely bookmarking this one!

Anait said...

LOVE this post, and all your wishes. I'm watching Harry Potter this weekend and you can bet I'll be making butterbeers beforehand. I wonder if the recipe will allow for a dash or two of Bailey's ;)

Couture Carrie said...

Really fun post, darling!
Love Christmas and the OC!

xoxox,
CC

la petite fashionista said...

ah, we are so so alike. I already made a OC Chrismakkuh watching date with my little sis when I get home. & I love that first image of the Great Hall in Hogwarts (our campus dining hall was built after the one at Oxford & looks exactly like it)!

I've been working everyyyyyyy day. I can't wait for some downtime to actually enjoy the holidays!!

xoxo

HiFashion said...

I love your Christmas plans. I'm currently sitting by my fireplace as well: perfection. And watching Chrismukkah OC eps and my favourite Christmas movies are my plans as well.

MizzJ said...

What an awesome list! I've already crossed watching love actually on my list, drinking Starbucks holiday brews, but the others are all still on the to-do :)

TeachingInHeels said...

I love your list!! I wish I could go to Serendipity III. I love those frozen hot chocolates. And I love the movie :)

Good luck with your list!!

A New England Girl said...

Can I steal your list and pretend it is mine? :) I so agree with every single thing you wrote about here. I especially love the idea of curling up by a fireplace with a good book and entirely too much champagne! :) I love how this list encompasses everything, from the smallest indulgence to gratitude for family and friends.

I wish you were here for wine drinking and apartment renovating -- we would have so much fun! Although I do believe the wine would probably take precedence and we may or may not get too much done. :)
Love you, girlie! xoxox. <3

Jenna said...

Loved this post!! It made me very happy. Let me just discuss a few things I loved the mostest. For instance, I happen to LOVE The O.C. I just never watched it until after it was off the air. I obsessively tuned into SoapNet for the first two seasons, and then my basketball season began and I couldn't watch the third and fourth!! So I totally picked those up on DVD and devoured them...like I plan to do with GG (This was a couple years ago before I had DVR....the SoapNet thing!) (Side note: OHMYGOSH! The song I'm listening to is from Twilight?! YES!! LOL!!) Next: Frrrozen Hot Chocolate? When I get to NYC, it's the FIRST THING I want to do. No joke. I have dreamt of it since FOREVER. Finally, I want to see your ugly sweaters--pics, sweetie. lol!! Oh! And you are just lovely and stunning. I love these pics of you. Just thought you should know that! ;) :) :D

xo,
Jenna

▲my• said...

i will probably be making butterbeer tonight :)

i love this whole list! amazing!

happy christmas.

oh! you can be expecting a christmas card any day now!

Nicole Linette said...

This is the perfect plan for holiday excitement! Oh my goodness, I can't wait to try that butterbeer recipe. Peppermint anything is such a treat, I love to indulge in that during the winter. My brother just graciously revealed his Netflix account info for me, so I'm prepared to catch up on all my Christmas favorites and more while I'm bumming around at home!!!
I'm pretty pumped for Christmas-- my dorm back at school has a tiny, jeweled tree. I haven't had time to make the dozens of cards that I normally would be handing out, but I'm going out to the mall today with my friends to catch up on gift-buying.

Yay, this post has made me so excited :) have a lovely day!
Cheers,
nicole.

Syed said...

That peppermint hot cocoa looks YUM. I'm looking forward to Christmas and sitting around the tv to watch Die Hard with my brother. It is our Christmas tradition!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I your this post - you are just so sweet and I swear with every post we are more and more alike! Merry Christmas dear friend!