Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Wedding Wednesday: Sylvia Weinstock Edition.

As you all know, (since I am constantly and possibly annoyingly bombarding you with recipes), I love to cook. I love everything about it, and although I'm still very much learning how to cook, I can't get enough of it.

My dad and I have bonded over the years watching Top Chef - he is a major foodie, and when we first started watching, he was thrilled that there was a show with real professional cooks making gorgeous food (he hates shows like Hell's Kitchen, where no one can cook).

When he and I heard that there was going to be a spinoff of Top Chef that was based solely on desserts, we added it onto our DVR queue, and began watching, very pleased that we had a new foodie show to watch!

A few weeks ago, on Top Chef: Just Desserts, renowned celebrity cake decorator Sylvia Weinstock was a guest judge, which only served to remind me of just how fabulous (and absolutely adorable) the woman is.

Is she not the cutest thing you've ever seen?
6a00e54f9dd3a288340112791028be28a4-800wi

If I had an unlimited budget for my wedding (fingers crossed), one of the first things I would do would be to commission Ms. Weinstock to design a cake for moi and whoever I ended up marrying. She is absolutely perfect, and each of her cakes is unique, and so absolutely breathtaking, it's incredible.

In my opinion, Sylvia Weinstock is like the Willy Wonka of cake design - you look at something and it looks so real, and then you find out that it's entirely made of frosting (and not fondant!). These cakes do come with a price - from what I heard from my cousin who had a consult with Sylvia Weinstock's company for her wedding, for a very basic cake, it starts at around $3,000, and it's not unusual for her to make cakes that are around $25,000-$100,000 (!!) - so my cousin ended up going with Buddy from Cake Boss instead.

So for now, I'll just admire her work and dream. (If you've never seen her work, just keep in mind as you look at these that EVERYTHING you see - besides the base - are 100% edible!).

Okay, so clearly these are not wedding cakes, but they're still gor-geous and take some serious talent!

tumblr_l5iiq2mj9s1qbvrk6o1_500tumblr_l7d43nLt031qbvrk6o1_500

tumblr_l4xqabQS2N1qbvrk6o1_500

orig-6212031

Wedding Cakes...

sylvia cake 1

tumblr_l0f3xtvnO51qbvrk6o1_500tumblr_l0xf9z8SiP1qbvrk6o1_500

tumblr_l1507mQE211qbvrk6o1_500tumblr_l07mqlB13w1qbvrk6o1_r1_500

Wedding+Salon+Showcases+Wedding+Industry+1UCQrgFqVMYl

f-16-pinkcakeboxRecently-Updated3-1024x768

This one is my fav-orite!
4

Ri-dic-u-lous.
houndland-8-09-2008-049-51

Any favorites?

Would you spend $3,000-$100,000 for a wedding cake like one of these?

Currently listening to: Damien Rice - Volcano [Sometimes I forget how much I absolutely adore Damien Rice, but songs like this bring me back into full-on adoration).

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

So pretty! The last one is so major!

ps..to answer your question about the glee gq cover I think the fug girls summed it up pretty well. check it out.

http://gofugyourself.celebuzz.com/go_fug_yourself/2010/10/fug_the_cover_dianna_agron_coryetc102010.html#comments

▲my• said...

THE ONE WITH THE LEMONS!

i think that for that cake i'd spend extra :)

Jenni said...

Oh my GOSH. The 8th cake down and that last one are OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!

I suppose if I were filthy rich and had oodles of extra money to waste on frivolties I would spend that kind of money on a cake! For our wedding I think we spent around 400$ on cupcakes, and they were incredible!!! :)

Have an awesome weekend pretty one!!

Croatian_Latina said...

I like the lemon cake. these are amazingly creative. and that last photo WOW. No I wouldn't spend that much money on a cake.

Jenna said...

Hello darling!

First of all, thank you for leaving such a lovely comment on my blog! It made me smile. A lot. And YOUR blog is also fabulous!!!

Those cakes? ALL AMAZING. That last one is just bananas, though. I would LOVE that at my wedding. Of course, I am a realistic girl, and the odds of being able to afford such a major extravagance are pretty low. But hey! I will admire!! BUT if I do have major $$ flow when I get married, I will no doubt be commissioning that adorable lady for a GORGEOUS concoction like that. Truly. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

ALSO, read your bio and it's pretty much the cutest thing ever! I also LOVE Starbucks (I am rather partial to the red holiday cups, although any will do :) And am a huge romantic too!!!

Well, I love your blog. And that's pretty much all I can say! I will be following :) I will see you again, and you have a wonderful weekend!!!

xo,
Jenna

Syed said...

Holy smokes, those are absolutely stunning! Well you want your wedding day to be perfect, and the photographs of the cake will always be around, so you might as well make it a good looking one!

Couture Carrie said...

Amazing post, darling!
Love these cakes!

xoxox,
CC

Kristin said...

She is such a cake rockstar! Imagine being able to hire her??? OMG!