Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Importance of Good Advice.

It seems like everyone in the entire world gives you advice - you get it from your family, your friends, Oprah - everyone seems to want to give their two cents whenever possible.

I like advice - I like to seek advice from others, give advice when I actually know what's happening - and I believe that advice can help you see things that you might not have previously - as long as someone is totally honest with you (which can be ridiculously hard to hear sometimes, particularly if you're in the wrong!).

To me, it's so important to know what you're getting advice from - I can remember back to high school when I had a ton of "friends" who were so happy to give their advice ("You should totally sleep with him if you don't want him to cheat on you," "Oh, it's okay that you're small, you can totally handle tequila shots!", "Nooo, you're not too skinny at all! You definitely don't have a problem", etc.). Some of their advice I took, but I knew myself enough to know when I knew best (aka, I took absolutely none of the advice given in the above).

Some friends are friends you can laugh with and don't have the need to get too serious with, while other friends are great in a crisis or whenever you have a problem and need some serious and honest advice.

tumblr_l5oc2vcQZN1qcwrtjo1_500
Summer always gave Marissa the best advice.

It's all about knowing who you can go to, and who really will give the best advice.

In honor of my mom, and the friends and family that have given me amazing advice over the years, I've compiled a list of some of the best advice I've ever received (with lots of pictures, because I love pictures. I apologize if you are not a picture-lover like moi because this one is chock full of photos. I guess I'm a visual learner?).


1. Drink a ton of water. Like, more water than you can imagine.

tumblr_kwlqqoyCix1qzr5ipo1_500

2. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a beggar.



3. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants, and less food that is manufactured in plants.

tumblr_l5aktksXf51qzcapto1_500

4. Take some time to indulge every so often - you work hard, you deserve it.

tumblr_l9kztghMgr1qb5xafo1_500

5. Do things that you haven't done since childhood - paint, play games, and live a carefree life.

tumblr_l7q54o47WC1qz5n2jo1_500

6. Read more books than you did in 2009.

tumblr_l9d14nAjt31qzb5wzo1_500

7. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes every day.

tumblr_l6kzptYlx81qaa89oo1_500

8. Sleep for at least 7 hours every night.

tumblr_l19w8tZfwk1qbvcz1o1_500-1hWlreEGvjqmyj4t5JyPtqtiso1_500

9. Spend more time outdoors.

tumblr_l5f9m8SkQb1qz5n2jo1_500

10. Never underestimate the importance of treating everyone you encounter with respect, no matter what position they're in. Everyone deserves respect.

NxnMt6VdFigixqvdfSBPnfnTo1_400

11. When you walk, hold your head up high - you're fabulous.

OAwW0k4Ipq6jidjhmF3z7AmXo1_500

12. Find comfort wherever life takes you.

tumblr_kyzzsvYpBP1qzr5ipo1_500

13. Don't ever take yourself too seriously.

tumblr_l9jlhsDkJy1qz8ekjo1_500

14. Forgive others always - no matter how difficult it is. Everyone needs forgiveness - even you!

tumblr_l8zzitYpjr1qbl6p5o1_500

15. Dream even while you are awake.

tumblr_kyohe5BuOM1qzr5ipo1_500

16. Get outside for at least 10 minutes every single day.

tumblr_l1rrhi2Gb01qzcxcjo1_500

17. Forget your past issues. In relationships, don't remind your partner of his/her mistakes of the past - this will only ruin your present happiness.

tumblr_l9153kHqLn1qzrvo0o1_500

18. Life is too short to waste your time hating others.

tumblr_kpyuv5Po921qzr5ipo1_500

19. Make peace with your past so it won't spoil your present.

tumblr_kswodhy2yw1qzr5ipo1_500

20. Remember - no one is in charge of your happiness except for you.

tumblr_kvwi4qZE7w1qzr5ipo1_500

21. Smile and laugh more.

SEX AND THE CITY

22. You don't have to win every argument.

tumblr_kujrewfegI1qzm71ko1_500png

23. Each day, do something good for others.

tumblr_l9c0rfk2xP1qzkmfho1_500

24. Spend time with people over the age of 70, and under the age of 6. You'll be amazed at what you can learn.

tumblr_kq9kpuzrJs1qz6ygbo1_500

25. Try to make at least three people smile every day.

tumblr_kz3t5jnpic1qzr5ipo1_500

26. Your job won't take care of you when you're sick - your friends and family will. Remember to keep in touch.

tumblr_kr38i4G3QM1qzdiqvo1_400

27. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful, or joyful.

tumblr_kzcoi3W9ZJ1qzr5ipo1_500

28. No matter how you are feeling, make an effort to dress up, and show up.

tumblr_l7xl5sF0eO1qz5n2jo1_500

29. Bad situations really cannot last forever.

tumblr_l57i7v0hSe1qzh19go1_500

30. The best is yet to come.

tumblr_kqmx6dokNa1qzncvqo1_500

What is some advice you've been given that you consider especially valuable?

Currently: Packing for Cape Cod for the weekend, which is being hindered by Cooper, who seems to think it's adorable to lay on top of all the clothes that I'm putting on my bed to pack. For a 15 lb. dog, he sure can stretch across a bed like a champ.

13 comments:

Tracy-Girl @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

Okay, I am seriously obsessed with this post. Seriously!! Love all of the advice... some of it so sweet. I love the "you don't have to win every argument" one. This is adorable!

Pop Champagne said...

omg I totally remember that friends epsoide! and yees I've been working on drinking water! fab post :)

Couture Carrie said...

Fabulous advice, darling!
Esp. #6!
Love this post!

xoxox,
CC

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

The best is yet to come - I love that!!

HiFashion said...

This is possibly one of my favourite posts EVER. The advice you gave is all so important. Number 29 is really useful.

Kristin said...

Lovely post! My Nonnie is the one who instilled the drink a TON of water rule in me!

Gracey said...

I LOVE this post girl! I can agree with every single piece of advice on here, especially the water one! Great job :)

Keith said...

Great advice you've been given. I have gotten some wonderful advice over the years from family and friends. I like the photos you posted. Have a fantastic week ahead.

Syed said...

Yes, yes and more yes to all of these :)

Croatian_Latina said...

I like 12, 24 and 27, but ALL are so true! Fab post! and I love all the photos!

Jenni said...

What a wonderful, inspiring, beautiful post. Thank you so much for sharing this!! The pictures really are the icing on the cake, too. :)

Keith said...

Thanks for your comment on my mustache post. I hope this finds you doing well.

Gayle said...

Its interesting how each picture depicts the advice perfectly. How did you find these? Were they stored in your computer all this time? The room full of balloons is just too awesome!

-GAYLE IS VOLATILE