Saturday, September 4, 2010

Fruit Pizza.

For my parents birthdays, I am always delegated to make a cake for them (mainly because my brother won't do it, or maybe because sometimes I kid myself into thinking I can be slightly Martha Stewart ish). Last year for my mom's birthday, we had the disastrous red velvet cake, which tasted good, but looked absolutely horrible, and we ended up just getting a Mississippi Mud Pie from the Little Pie Company in NYC - which if you've never eaten one, you must order one ASAP! :)

This year, I was determined to do something different and unique for both of my parents. For my mom, I made her a homemade ice cream cake, that once again, tasted delicious, but looked horrible (I blame that on the fact that her birthday is in July, which is just not the best temperature for an ice cream cake). However, all her friends that came over enjoyed it, so I guess my unique adventure into ice cream cake making was a slight success (but seriously, it looked awful - it like, fell apart and slid all over the place, as seen below).

DSC_1246

My dad's 55th birthday was spent up at our house at Cape Cod, with my parents, moi, and J. I found this really cool recipe for a "fruit pizza," and decided that would be easy enough to make and serve for my dad's birthday. It turned out a-mazing (if I do say so myself), so I wanted to share the recipe with all of you, because it's seriously super easy (I actually made it on the same day that I did the crab cakes I made for him and it was 1000x easier than those!).

Fruit Pizza

Cook time: Approximately 10 minutes.
Serving Size: Varies depending on the size of the slices you make.

Ingredients

*The recipe calls for one 18 oz. package of refrigerated cookie dough, but I used that Betty Crocker cookie mix in a bag, where all you have to add is egg and oil - I like that a lot better than anything refrigerated, and it's SUPER easy to whip together! *

-One 18 oz. package of refrigerated cookie dough OR one bag of Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
-One (7 oz.) jar of marshmallow creme
-One (8 oz.) package of low-fat cream cheese, softened
-Whatever fruit you like - I used blueberries, strawberries, mandarin oranges, blackberries, and raspberries, but you can do any combination that you like.
-One cup of chocolate chips (if desired)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. This step depends on what you do for your cookie dough - if you make it with the packaged Betty Crocker mix, you make that dough first, which is really easy. If not, you take the refrigerated cookie dough and spread it on a pizza pan (I used a throw away one!) so that it is about 1/4 inch thick.

DSC_0168

DSC_0170

3. Bake the cookie dough in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned, and the center is no longer dough-y.

I'd recommend putting this into the oven with two hands for as long as possible - it tips veryyy easily!
DSC_0172

Mmmm:
DSC_0180

(We had an elderly couple that we were really close to that lived across the street to us who were the friendliest, sweetest people ever. When they both passed away, they left us a few of the gorgeous antiques they had collected over the years, including this gorgeous cake serving platter which I was SO excited to use!).

DSC_0188

4. In a medium sized bowl, blend the marshmallow creme and the cream cheese together. I mixed the cream cheese first until it was smooth, and then I added in the marshmallow creme slowly.

DSC_0179

DSC_0184

5. In a saucepan, melt 1 cup of chocolate chips with a little bit of milk together.
*Note - Definitely do not try to melt the chocolate chips in a microwave. You will most likely come close to burning down your house, as I did - whoops!).

This is why you shouldn't do it in the microwave:
DSC_0191

Much better:
DSC_0193

6. Spread the chocolate mixture over the baked cookie pizza, leaving a little room for "crust," like on a real pizza.

DSC_0194

7. Wait a few minutes for the chocolate to harden on the baked cookie, and then spread the cream cheese/marshmallow creme mixture on top of the chocolate.

DSC_0197

8. Chill this in the refrigerator until serving. I added the fruit ten minutes before we served it, so that the fruit didn't make the cookie soggy.

DSC_0214

DSC_0216

My dad was really excited about it - and made a comment about it seeming healthier because of the fruit, which is clearly deceptive because of all the cream cheese and butter - but at least you get in a serving of fruit! ;)

39043_537108732933_30202579_31656985_6764445_n

39043_537108737923_30202579_31656986_645954_n

Have you ever made a unique or different type of dessert for a birthday?

Wishing you all a fabulous and relaxing Labor Day weekend - I hope that things are looking up for those of you going through a tough time, and that things stay amazing for those of you who are doing well! Love you all, xo.

Currently listening to: Florence & the Machine - You've Got the Love (which makes me think of Sex & the City every time I hear it).

8 comments:

Kinsey Michaels said...

That looks absolutely amazing Allison, such a clever and creative cake/pizza! :)
I love love your blog and always look forward to your new entries! Hope you're having a great holiday weekend.

Croatian_Latina said...

What a yummy and creative fruit pizza. I LOVE how you arranged the fruit. Very colorful and it can be made for any occassion. birthdays or bbqs.

Wishing you a weekend of happiness!

HiFashion said...

Both cakes look delicious and are so unique. I am definitely having ice cream cake for my birthday next year!
And the fruit pizza is such a unique idea!

A New England Girl said...

That looks heavenly! Yum! :) I'm going to have to add it to my list of 'must try recipes' now -- and like your Dad, I will deceive myself into thinking it is healthy because of the fruit. I think that's a better way to view it anyways! :)
Hope you're having a fabulous weekend, lovey!
xoxo.

Syed said...

YUM, fruit pizza sounds absolutely amazing! Haha and I tried making red velvet cake for my mother's birthday once. I got red food dye everywhere, I couldn't even wash it off my hands for like two days. I was pretty young at the time, so I didn't believe that you had to add so little, I went with a couple of bottles.

Kristin said...

I could DEFINITELY go for a slice of that right now! We had key lime pie for my Nonnies bday this weekend. mmmmmmmm

Kelly @ The Startup Wife said...

Super cute!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

That looks so good!!!