Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Feeling Crabby.

This past weekend, myself, J, my parents and Cooper headed up to our house at Cape Cod to celebrate my dad's 55th birthday.

Birthdays are HUGELY important in my family - we go all out with gifts, cakes, dinners, decorations - the works. I honestly thought that every single family celebrated birthdays the way that mine does, until I went to college where my friends were unconcerned with their own birthdays and the birthdays of their family members. J has almost never bought a birthday gift for anyone in his family, and neither did most of my friends at school, which blew my mind.

Anyway, J and I drove up separately from my parents and were there for most of the day Thursday, which was nice since it was a 6 hour drive due to the summer traffic, ridiculous amounts of accidents on the road, and the fact that I drank two venti Skinny caramel macchiatos, which was unwise for a long road trip.

I'm planning on doing a separate post about the Cape - and another one soon as a continuation of the trip to Seapointe Village.

This post is about food - but it does tie into my dad's birthday, since in honor of his big day, I decided to cook crab cakes - one of his favorite foods. I was smart enough to purchase a cookbook at a book sale at school that was a compilation of five-star recipes found at AllRecipes.com. If you haven't heard of/use AllRecipes.com you are seriously missing out - it's absolutely perfect, and everything is submitted by home cooks, so it's not ridiculously intimidating.

There is an amazing recipe for crab cakes, and if you're a seafood lover like moi and my family, this is definitely a can't miss! :)

Cooking these was super fun - I set up my laptop with some movies on in the kitchen while everyone else was at the beach, and just went to work. It really is easy to make, and I tried to take a lot of pictures because visuals and knowing how something is supposed to look is really helpful for me - especially when cooking.

*The recipe calls for four pounds of crabmeat, which is a ridiculous amount - I halved the entire recipe with the exception of an egg and the Old Bay seasoning.*

Crab Cakes

Serves 16
Prep time: 15 minutes (plus time for chilling before cooking begins)
Cook time: 30 minutes
Ready in: 45 minutes

Ingredients

-4 pounds crabmeat (I mixed "super lump" with "lump")
-1 egg
-1 tablespoon lemon zest (grated lemon peel)
-1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
-2 tablespoons fresh Basil; chopped
-1 cup crushed Saltine crackers
-1 cup mayonnaise (I used low-fat to cut a few calories out)
-Salt and pepper to taste

DSC_0143

Directions

1. In a large mixing bowl combine the crabmeat, egg, lemon zest, Old Bay Seasoning, chopped basil, crushed crackers (I put them in a plastic bag and crushed them with a rolling pin), and mayonnaise. Mix thoroughly.

DSC_0145

For chopping the basil, my mom told me that folding the basil leaves and then cutting them with a scissor is a super easy way to get them chopped a little more. We have pretty crappy knives at the Cape, so chopping was difficult - this made it so much easier!

DSC_0147

DSC_0148

DSC_0151

DSC_0154

All the ingredients combined:
DSC_0157

DSC_0158

DSC_0160


2. Form patties out of the crab mixture (the recipe says 5 oz. patties, but I just kind of guestimated with it and made them the size of a small hamburger patty). Chill until cold before cooking (I chilled them for 3 1/2 hours).

DSC_0162

DSC_0167

DSC_0166

3. In a skillet, heat 4 tablespoons of oil over medium heat.
Saute the crab cakes for 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

DSC_0208

Red wine makes a perfect cooking companion.
DSC_0207

DSC_0213

And enjoy :)
DSC_0220

Let me know if you end up making them - they're super delicious!

Miss you all - can't wait to wind down from vacation land and catch up with you all :) Let me know what excitement is going on in your lives! I have another super fun recipe coming that I made for dessert for my dad - I hope you'll LOVE it and it's so easy peasy!


Currently: Talking to J about how miserable I am at my job and getting ready for bed at 9:40 p.m. The things we do for money!

12 comments:

▲my• said...

They look so good! I think you gave me that recipe a year ago... I can't believe I haven't made them yet! I'll have to find some time to do that this summer!

Hanako66 said...

my goodness, they look absolutely delicious! glad to hear you're happy and doing well!

It's All Make Believe, Isn't It? said...

They look fantastic!!!

Croatian_Latina said...

I love having pictures when I prepare a recipe, like you said, it helps to know what it's suppose to look like.

Ps. happy bday to your dad! we are also big on celebrations. Just this past weekend My mother told me that they had a HUGE celebration for their friend's 5 year old daughter at the park. It was a barbaque/picnic combination. I felt just a tad bit homesick.

I will bookmark your recipe because it does look delicious.


Sorry you're unhappy at work (I know the feeling, hope it gets better)


Elisa

Morgane said...

this recipe sounds amazing : i think i gonna test it when i summer in my beach house in few days !
i can't wait

Couture Carrie said...

So fun, darling!
Fab pics and recipe!

xoxox,
CC

Join the Gossip said...

I really wish I could cook right about now! Those look SO good. My mouth is literally watering!

I have always wanted to go to Cape Cod. Can't wait until your post! It reminds of the perfect American summer spot.

Thansk for stopping by my blog =)

俊宏淑松 said...

雖天地之大,萬物之多,而惟吾蜩翼之知。..................................................

yiqin; said...

Maybe I should try making this, lets hope I dont burn down the house in the process :P

Kristin said...

What an amazing post lady. I MUST have crab cakes for dinner now. Mmmmmmmm!

Nikolett said...

Hey! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and I love meeting fellow caffeine addicts haha. Those crab cakes look AMAZING and I rarely have crab ... so I really want to try this out. Can't wait to hear more about Cape Cod - oh and I've left an award at your blog :)

Keith said...

It sounds like you had a great time making these. I love the photos. I love crab cakes. These look so delicious. You've got me in a mood now to make some of my own.