Monday, May 17, 2010

"It's All Over..."

Over the past four years, I've found such a comfort in the fact that I basically know what's going to happen. Granted, I never knew how my professors would pan out for me, how the workload would be, what my grades were going to be at the end of the semester, but there were the things I could count on.

I could count on my campus being beautiful all year round (even though it was a pain to hike through it to class in the winter), I count count on never getting a good parking lot and having to walk forever up hills to my apartment/car, I could count on my friends to be there for me through it all, or the gym to be crowded every time I went (and after eating the awful food, I needed to go to the gym, trusttt me). I know those don't seem like big things to count on, but there was a sense of security in being at school.

Now that I'm done, it's like this air of uncertainty hanging over my head.

The job market for teaching in Jersey (and anywhere, really) is just awful, so the chances of me living at home for life are pretty high... it's just this depressing, scary time in my life when I feel like we've all just grown up way too fast.

The last few weeks of school, I made a conscious effort to make the most of it, and not to sit around and be lazy, but to get out and enjoy everything with my friends. We all knew that even though this wasn't goodbye, things would probably never be the same with us again.

The free week before graduation was filled with nights out, dinners out, taking roomie pictures around campus (thanks J, my fave photographer!), celebrating birthdays and graduation, and of course, cleaning out all the crap from the apartment.

Last "College Night" out at Rock Bottom (tear, tear).
31059_536964289231_213002022_31882440_1850203_n

Roomie (minus one) photoshoot around campus... for some reason we kept singing "And we're the three best friends that anyone could have". Thanks, Hangover.

29966_533391307683_30202579_31506005_7052439_n

29966_533391547203_30202579_31506014_5418735_n

29966_533392190913_30202579_31506040_2653723_n

29966_533391557183_30202579_31506016_4203394_n

This one is my favorite. J got a lot of candids of us :)
29966_533391766763_30202579_31506025_1635466_n

Senior Awards Dinner with my brother and J:
31059_536964359091_213002022_31882454_7136560_n

C's fiance turned 21 the night before graduation, so we obviously still had to go out and celebrate :)

31059_536964389031_213002022_31882460_4201593_n

My two bff's:
31059_536964408991_213002022_31882464_789188_n

And of course, the big day (P.S. the little green tree pin means that anyone who has one signed a form promising to be environmentally conscious in their life outside of college - we have a very "green" campus - 100% powered by wind energy!).

29966_533392475343_30202579_31506045_921795_n

29966_533393139013_30202579_31506065_7486815_n

29966_533393144003_30202579_31506066_8110556_n

29966_533393298693_30202579_31506071_7642568_n

And then, I had to say goodbye to my roomie and bff of four years...

29966_533393543203_30202579_31506082_4805216_n

For now, I'm taking it as it comes, trying not to get too upset and depressed over the fact that come August, I won't have the familiar faces to return to, my little car packed as full as it can get with bins and suitcases (mostly of clothes and shoes)... I'm taking the memories, and remembering the good times.

While the future is still inevitable and scary, I'm trying to think of the positives... because honestly, it's that or becoming entirely too worried to function.

I'm happy to say that I can look back on the past four years with very few negative memories of things. I'm truly blessed to have shared so much with the people I've met!

Sorry (again) for all the pictures! I guess putting them up just makes me nostalgic, in a good way :)

**After Thursday, you definitely won't hear from my for at least two weeks because... I'll be in China teaching English in a university outside of Beijing! I'll be doing my best to "visit" you all before I head over early o'clock on Thursday morning!

I'll look forward to talking to you all upon my return! xo

Currently: Stressing about packing for China, watching a little Entourage to make me feel better!

22 comments:

I'm Lindsay! said...

Congrats love! I know exactly what you mean. I'm getting nostalgic all over again seeing people graduate. Hope you have an amazing trip!

HiFashion said...

Congrats on graduating! The pictures came out great; you look so lovely in them.
I graduated last year, and have just ffinished an internship, so my life's really uncertain right now as well.

Have a great time in China!

Morgane said...

well ... Student life is such a wonderful time... It's sometimes hard to grow up ...
I was in the same mood you are when my studies end... Then i found jobs ( very far away from teaching) , i found love , i settle in Paris and i finally suceed in being teacher , i became a mom : only to show you that life is full of good thinks even i you probably will cherish your student years like the most "riche" of your young life !
Congrats for graduation : you would apply for teaching english in France !
Here it's different : once you have the competitive examination ( really hard to have : 200 people suceed for 4000 examinated) you have a job in your " region" ( a state)...

Eddie said...

I am beyond ecstatic for you. I'm literally falling off my chair reveling in your joy. Those few pictures have managed to catch all of the emotions you were feeling at the moment and are now etched in history. Words cannot describe how thrilled I am for my beautiful angel.

I felt like I've been there when you were stressing about exams, the pressure of continuing and even the day you first mentioned Jay. Wow... time flies.

You my dear are going to be an incredible teacher. If the size of your heart is any indication, you will surely change countless lives in your career. Hope to one day get to meet you and when I do, I will give you the deepest, warmest and craziest embrace imaginable. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Besitos para siempre...

Eddie

Elisa, Croatia said...

I loved all the pictures. especially the one on the bench by the river. I can understand your emotions. I was there four years ago and you are right in wanting to enjoy these last days with your friends, because like you said, it might not be the same (but it's life right?) you grow up and become amazing people. I just returned from the states and I visited my best friend from high school (we hadn't seen each other in over 6 years, but that didn't change the fact that we are still good friends)

enjoy your time in China and good luck in your future!and hope to continue reading about your "new journey".

Hugs

J said...

OMG ur gonna go to China! You're gonna have an awesome time! Everyone there is pushy so don't mind that! haha. Enjoy your time, I'm super jealous! Congrats on graduation, its always bittersweet. good luck with your job search!

Kinsey Michaels said...

Aww Allison these pictures are so cute. Looks like you had a lot of wonderfully fun memories at college. I know that feeling of uncertainty that you're feeling, but it's also a super exciting time for you too...a new chapter of your life! :) thanks so much for your sweet comments on my blog and for being a loyal reader!!

Tom Cupples said...

Allison - this is not the end. This is the beginning. I'm so jealous of you starting out on life's new journey. Go for it girl.

LiLu said...

Big, fat, wet congratulations!!!!! I know it's bittersweet, but you must be so excited for a new adventure!

katkas said...

cool blog!


http://pieinmypants.blogspot.com/

Pop Champagne said...

congrats on graduating! And have fun in Chia, that sounds like so much fun :D I love that pic of the 3 of you too! You girls look fab

Couture Carrie said...

Really fun pics, darling Allison!
Congrats on your graduation and on your teaching gig in China ~ you are going to have the most amazing time!

xoxox,
CC

maureen @ The Inglenook Decor said...

no need to apologize Allison , those are wonderful pictures, I graduated from College 15 years ago & me & my closest friends meet every year & it always feels like it's yesterday.there are friends you'll cherish forever & who knows you the best. Oh & congrats too & have fun in China!

▲my• said...

Congrats on finishing college. You're right even though they're two completely different graduations I feel like we're in the same boat. Off looking for what we should do with our lives.

Have fun in China! What an awesome opportunity.

Kristin said...

Congrats darlin'!! The best is yet to come!!

Pixie Dust said...

Lovely blog :))
I would love to invite you to my make-up & accessories giveaway! :)) Check it out here:

http://fraupixiedust.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-first-giveaway-make-up.html

Can't wait to hear from you <3
xxx

Keith said...

Congrats. I wish you the best. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care. Good luck.

Join the Gossip said...

First off--CONGRATS! It's such a big accomplishment graduating from college =) You should be very proud of yourself. It's very bittersweet time for sure.

Love these photos they are so cute! Totally random but do you know Jules of Chic & Pink? She was just at Rock Bottom this weekend! I am from LA so I may be wrong, be she's from the Philly area so I am assuming it's the same bar. If you dn't know her, you should check her out =) http://chicnpink.blogspot.com/

p.s. I'm hosting a giveaway. Feel free to visit my blog to check it out!

LashonJ_Greenblatt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gracey said...

Ahh hope you have fun in China! I've always wanted to go there.

ripleyripley1973 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Herschel Muehlbach said...

Ray Ban RB2132 Dark glasses is amongst the hottest selling of all. Ray Ban 3359 New Wayfarer Your next sunglasses will be the most recently released collection that is certainly featured by the manufacturer. It features you some added and tends to make you appear neat after you dress in Ray Ban 3293 Sunglasses.