Friday, February 26, 2010

The Pursuit of Happiness.

This past week has been pretty rough for me - lots of personal things going on, and for the first time in a long time, I feel like I'm just treading water to get by. Student teaching has been effective at keeping my mind off things, but after two snow days (for literally NO snow - maybe 2" even though the forecast called for up to a foot and a half), I had a lot of time to just sit with only my thoughts.

Usually I try not to feel sorry for myself - I know that life isn't fair, and it never will be. Sometimes bad things happen to (pretty) good people, and that's just the way it goes. But as of late, I feel like I've been throwing myself a pity party and just letting myself sit and think of all the "what ifs" that the future holds, which is driving me crazy.

So today, as I sit in the living room of my very good family friend's house (because it is spring break on campus, but not for the school I'm student teaching at, so I'd be all alone at the apartment) I have decided that I need to focus on the positive. The lovely and tres French Morgane invited me to post about things that make me happy. To be completely honest, when I saw that comment she left inviting me to do the same, my initial thought was, "Forget it, I have absolutely nothing to be happy about right now." Instead though, I'm going to attempt to focus on the good, on the things that make me happy.

Flowers in my mother's garden.
My mom spends hours in her gardens during the summer, and the result is gorgeous. After I got my new Nikon camera this summer, I spent a lot of time in my yard, gathering inspiration from all my mom's hard work.

Nikon pictures 144

Nikon pictures 123

Nikon pictures 058

Pastel handbags.
I think they're lovely. I need to start building my collection of gorgeous handbags.

tumblr_kvr37jz1Ya1qzfqbso1_500

Cupcakes.
I think I say this every post I have like this. I can't help it - I just adore cupcakes. Any flavor, any size, doesn't matter - I'll take it.

tumblr_kxbio5Ddy71qzoozmo1_500

tumblr_ky76c78QJT1qartizo1_500

(Re)reading the classics.
I've been tearing through the classics - Pride & Prejudice, Catcher in the Rye (for the billionth time)... all these snowy days have been perfect for catching up with a good book.

tumblr_kwsly80udC1qzoozmo1_500

Palm trees.
I've always loved palm trees. I can't explain why. It's just one of those things.

tumblr_kyduapGZDM1qzr5ipo1_400

White linens.
I love white linens in bedrooms. I think it's so simplistic and beautiful.

tumblr_kv7m752NHs1qzbqbwo1_400

Dining alfresco.
I've never done it at this level, but a girl can dream, right? :)

tumblr_koe27wKb6I1qzbqbwo1_400

tumblr_kqyy9j1Kzs1qzbqbwo1_400

Guilty pleasures.
When I saw this picture, I couldn't stop thinking of how perfect it was. Starbucks and Gossip Girl? Yes, please.

tumblr_kwu54bRmv01qzr5ipo1_500

e.e. cummings.
This is my favorite poem of all time. It even beats my boy Pablo Neruda. I will read this poem at my wedding one day.

tumblr_kx00ii7vty1qzu1fjo1_500

tumblr_kv0h88Gsvm1qzbqbwo1_400

Sequins and ruffles.
And when it's two in one, winner winner (chicken dinner).

tumblr_kx6fhlQ0LN1qzccg2o1_500

Looking at the same thing from a new perspective.
Like the seasons. This picture is beautiful. I need to photograph the same place during the seasons.

tumblr_ky2z64Iopx1qzvsqto1_500

Quirky touches in home decor.
I love the unexpected.

tumblr_ky4hh9m2H01qzr5ipo1_500

Hydrangeas.
Perfection.

tumblr_kt1yr6yBBE1qzbqbwo1_400

47dH0pkBMqvdza3iTNrAjaI0o1_400

Santorini.
I will be going there someday. It's on my bucket list - that I'm writing at the age of 22, I know.

tumblr_kojyfrq9Tf1qzbqbwo1_400

Fireplaces.
I don't think I need an explanation.

tumblr_ksn1iv80se1qzbqbwo1_400

Parler français.
Ma mère est française, et elle pleure en sachant que je ne peux pas parler correctement la langue. Je pense qu'il est beau et je souhaite que je pouvais.

tumblr_kt0d4lWLU21qzr5ipo1_500

The OC.
Nothing cheers me up more than a little Ryan Atwood.

tumblr_kybqyz0JNl1qa8hgoo1_500

Cooper.
And of course, my puppy. I couldn't love him more.

Nikon pictures 212

I hope you're all doing well - I look forward to catching up on your blogs, darlings! Miss you so much, xox. I encourage all of you to make your list of things that make you happy - especially if things aren't going so well for you (which I hope is not the case, my dears!).

Currently listening to: Mat Kearny - All I Need.

The first three photos are mine, and obviously the one of my dog. Please don't use without my permission (I know that sounds silly and vain, like anyone would want to ;)

28 comments:

I'm Lindsay! said...

Hang in there love! I'm glad you managed to find lots of things to make you happy!

Couture Carrie said...

Very healthy approach, darling!
And the result is an absolutely gorgeous post! Love these photos, especially the ones you took :)

xoxox,
CC

Kicking couture said...

ALly darling, every post im even more convinced on how we are alike!! I adore everything on your list :)

Hunny im gonna dropyou an email, sounds like you need cheering up, hunny keep your chin up.

xxx

Laura Trevey said...

Gorgeous images.... I think everyone is looking forward to sunshine and spring flowers to boost our spirits!!

xoxo Laura

Morgane said...

I ADORE your happiness list and i'm so happy you did it especially in a time you felt so-so ! You did a so great job ! Your pictures are lovely and i share a lot of point of view with you ... I 'm very glad you did it really . THANKS A LOT !

Morgane said...

an i hope thinks will get better for you , really ...

HiFashion said...

Awww, I hope everything works out for you.

Love your happy list: Pastel handbags and cupcakes are perfection! And I just finished reading 'Catcher in the Rye' for the billionth time as well.

Savvy Gal said...

What a lovely list. I love those cute designer cupcakes. I adore adore cupcakes, esp red velvet or banana.

Nicole Linette said...

Hi Allison! I miss you posts, love when you can.. and I really hope you're doing okay. It sounds like you're having a rough time, but keep fighting, okay? I've decided that life functions in cycles of misery.. but things are going to go up! :) Don't give up quite yet.

This is an amazing list of happiness! Goodness the designer cupcakes are impressive. They are almost too fabulous to be eaten :D. Lovelove all the decor and furniture photos. I'm really hard to please when it comes to poetry, but this by E.E. Cumming's is amazing! And coincidentally, I was thinking yesterday how I should take pictures in the same spot of my driveway all year too! Ma cherie, j'enverrais tous les fleurs que tu aimes si tu souris et aie une bonne semaine :) on parlerai bientot!!

~ nicole.

molly said...

allison, i actually got shivers and a little bit of tearing up reading this post, especially since "let it be" started up when i came to your blog. the combination of that with the e.e.cummings poem was just breathtaking!
thank you for making me feel :)
i've missed you too

Elisa, Croatia said...

This is a beautiful post! The photos you shared. You have talent to describe with accuracy each one. Greece is also on my bucket list. The same place different seasons what a wonderful idea!

Sometimes it's good to just go through the emotions. You have the right to feel sad, mad, angry. Then tomorrow you will know that it's another day, another feeling.

Saludos,
A Mexican chica living in Europe

kimvee said...

Aww thanks Alison, you're too sweet! hehe I know how you feel about having negative thoughts and always thinking about the "what ifs" in life. This is definitely a happy post and it makes me want to realize what does make me happy as of right now and not always focus on what is making me unhappy at the moment. Thanks for brightening up my day with these photos, I share the same things that you posted up hehe!

kimvee.blogspot.com
ohmyvintage.blogspot.com
omvintage.etsy.com

Hanako66 said...

this post just made me all happy inside:)

thank you for that.

Kristin said...

What a gorgeous post! Cupcakes, sequins and ruffles. Now that's what I'm talkin' about. I hope you're ok lady!

Jess said...

Lovely post!

Such adorable pictures and every one of them made me smile :-)

Hope you feel happy soon!

Jess x

http://roughandpreetyedges.blogspot.com/

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

All your pictures make me so happy - I love Hydrangeas too! Hang in there dear friend!! Holler if you need anything!

The Fashion Bloggess said...

great post once again! love your blog sooo much! definitely bookmarking this one! such an inspiration! hope you can stop by mine sometime!
xox

聊天室 said...

寂寞又無聊 看到你的BLOG 加油喔!!........................................

J said...

i absolutely love all the images you posted!! im glad you posted the things you felt happy about, it makes you feel a little better hopefully :) feel better things will look up! thanks for the inspiration!

Syed (dapper kid) said...

I seem to go through cycles where I get down every so often, and just have to take a mini time out to be with my thoughts and work out the positive. It sounds silly, but you need a little me time every so often to get that positive outlook back! Yes, yes and more yes to your list. I don't even have to eat cupcakes, just looking at them makes me happy. And yay for sequins and The OC :)

Harry McKinley said...

Loving the label themed cupcakes, now if only Starbucks sold those it would be a guilty pleasure for the win.

maya said...

There's a lot of flowers like the ones in the first picture around here (Azores - Portugal) (:
J'aime aussi le français, mais je ne suis pas sûr.
(of course I had to got to a online translator to write alf of that '--)

Desiree said...

Amazing 4 seasons photo, as much as I'm sick of New York winters, it makes me appreciate having seasons. And I too have a bucket list...and it's rapidly growing! lol. Cheer up sweets..I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. I read a quote the other day that said "If you want to see what's coming, look back." You won't make the same mistakes twice. And remember life is too short to be anything but happy* Your blog makes me smileeee :)

Susanna-Cole said...

Oh, I know the sentiment, when things are rough, everything in you says, "forget the positive, there is none!" even though it's always there, somewhere, you just have to willing to dwell on it and thus release any bitter feelings to do so.

Love all your loves, and oh, your mother sounds like mine! If you can't find my mother in summer, she's usually in her garden, but it does look beautiful indeed!

And palm trees make me happy too, because I've spent most my life in climates where palm trees can't grow, and thus, when I do see palm trees it usually means I'm on vacation and at the beach, and that makes me happy! :D

Thanks so much for your sweet comment, dear, it's always lovely to hear from you! ♥

xoxo,
S-C

Elizabeth Marie said...

Hey sweetie,
I am so sorry I've been so far away. Going through a bunch of stuff too. I hope you're feeling better?! DUDE you know you can always email/bbm/call me...any time.

I miss you and love you and could use a friend :)
xoxo
Liz

maureen @ The Inglenook Decor said...

fabulous,fabulous post! I adore them all...dining al fresco...my favorite!

fhen said...

hello dear!
really love all of your picks
cupcakes, starbucks, and flowers!
i would love to go to santorini too someday!
hope you are doing great!
xoxo

Lucy said...

Amazing pictures!!