Friday, February 5, 2010

Just in Time for Valentine's Day...

For as much as a non-girly girl as I claim to be, I have a soft spot for a good chick flick. I love romance, I love when two people that for an hour and a half I've been convinced SHOULD end up together do...I love it all.

So, in honor of Valentine's Day coming up next weekend, I've compiled a huge list of some of my all-time FAVORITE romantic movies. You may not agree with me, but I think these are the most perfect love movies. (P.S. I know Twilight is NOT on the list, and it is for the very simple reason that I have not seen it/read the books and don't really intend to :) But I do love all of you Twilight lovers anyway!).

P.S. I Love You.
I loved this movie. I know a lot of my friends said it was the most depressing movie they had ever seen, but I thought it was so sweet, so romantic, and so fabulous. Plus, hello, Denny from Grey's AND Gerard Butler - how can you go wrong?! (Besides crying throughout the whole movie maybe).

arts-graphics-2008_1182984a

alg_ps_love_you

Cruel Intentions.
The plot is simple. Hottie (who turns into a d-bag in real life later on) needs to steal a virgin's V-card in order to win a bet with his stepsister. The bet? If he wins, he gets to sleep with her. Lesbian kisses, manipulation and cocaine all work together into an unlikely perfect film. The sincerity of Sebastian's feelings for his love, the twist ending... it is so perfect. Vulgar, but perfect.

785374_height370_width560

This part of the movie makes me so, so happy. And he looks delicious.
CruelIntentions2

cruelintentions

Sex and the City: The Movie.
This movie breaks my heart, makes me happy, makes me cry every single time...but ultimately makes me smile after I watch it. That Vivienne Westwood wedding gown? I die every time. And what happens after makes my heart break absolutely every time. And while obviously Carrie's relationship with Big is the forefront of the show and movie, it always makes me want to curl up with my girlfriends and drink a massive Cosmo. (And I usually do).

sex-and-the-city-production-photo-close

SEX AND THE CITY

Across the Universe.
The ultimate movie that proves all you need is love (too cheesy?). When I watched this movie for the first time with my parents, I believe their response was that it brought them back to their college days in the '70's, which I took as a reference to them doing drugs. It is trippy, but it's beautiful. Plus, TV Carpio singing "I Want to Hold Your Hand" is beautiful. (In case you don't know, it's a musical where all the songs are Beatles songs). Plus, it has yummy Jim Sturgess.

across1gc6

love



Titanic.
Obviously. This movie came out when I was in fourth grade I think... and after convincing my mom to take me to see it, we both looked like we lost a relative when we left the theater. It is such a perfect love story... though with my own love story I hope it doesn't involve freezing to death. I think any movie with Kate Winslet and Leo in it is a guaranteed winner.

787215

Leonardo_682x400_453794a

Dirty Dancing.
I just saw this movie for the first time over the summer, and I LOVED it. Patrick Swayze is so sexy, and while movie does scream "80's!" it always screams "Perfect love story!". I've always been a sucker for the "rich girl falls in love with the boy from the wrong side of the tracks." Especially when there's a little family drama involved. And dancing.

dirty-dancing-patrick-swayze

dirtydancing

When Harry Met Sally.
The sweetest movie that made all single females hold out hope that they and their best (straight) male friend would end up together. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal are perfect.
And of course the quote, "I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

harry-met-sally-03

harry_met_sally_1-791854

Bridget Jones' Diary.
I might love this movie so much because it is my fantasy - I could eat whatever I wanted, drink as much as I pleased, and still have two British hotties fighting over me. And one of them has the last name "Darcy."

69216167_ph3

rene_zellweger_colin_firth_bridget_jones's_diary_001

Pretty Woman.
Yet another movie that gave us all hope that we'd wind up like Julia Roberts. (Except minus the venereal diseases she likely contracted as a hooker...or being a hooker to begin with). I adore this movie, I adore all the old Julia Roberts movies where she played the same type of character... another feel good movie that I can't help but smile at when I watch it.

Pretty_Woman_2

richard-gere-and-julia-roberts-in-pretty-woman-0090

The Notebook.
I don't even think I need a reason to put this on here.

notebookSPLASH

notebook01

Love Actually.
My most favorite movie of all time. I can watch this at Christmastime, and it works. It works at Valentine's Day. It works when I'm happy, sad, lonely, upset, ecstatic...it just works. If you haven't seen it, you have to. It is the best movie of all time.

love-actually-free_-6

love-actually

Runners Up...

You've Got Mail.

The Wedding Planner.

He's Just Not That Into You.

Slumdog Millionaire.

Ghost.

Breakfast at Tiffany's. (obviously).

Beauty and the Beast.

Romeo and Juliet (with Leo and Claire Danes, obviously).

What am I missing? Any that I should check out? Agrees/disagrees?

I miss you guys so much...since getting back from the hospital, I have been unbelievably overwhelmed. Everything in my life just feels really hard and complicated right now - student teaching is draining me of ALL my energy, there are problems in just about every aspect of my life... it's emotionally and physically exhausting, and blogging has been the last thing I've thought about. While I haven't thought about blogging, I've thought about all of you constantly, and I do miss you! I'll catch up so soon. Miss and love you all, even when I'm delayed with the blogging.

Currently: Catching up on Gossip Girl. I miss it too much - and even got my roomie R into it!

22 comments:

Kristin said...

Love Actually is my very favorite movie of ALL time. Love love love it! Hope you're feeling better lady!

HiFashion said...

Yes: The Notebook! Its such an amazing movie and is so perfect! I liked PS I Love You, but did spend most of it crying. And Titanic is too good for words!

Laura Trevey said...

Sleepless in Seattle
Somethings Gotta Give

are two to ad to the fabulous list!

stellectism said...

The Notebook is an amazing movie. oooh and titanic as well!

zupu said...

I adore SATC, Love Actually and yey, Cruel Intentions! And I need to see Romeo and Juliet soon again..

Good picks darling!!!

Tom Cupples said...

What about Indecent Proposal ? Somebody else beat me to Sleepless in Seattle.

Nicole Linette said...

I'm glad you gave a shoutout to Slumdog Millionaire, because that's definitely an epic love story :D Cruel Intentions was a pretty clever pick too! Ahhh makes me want to watch it again soon haha.

I miss you as well, Allison! But I definitely understand your insanely busy life, and I hope you're managing it all in good health still! We'll still be here, thinking of you, once things slow down :) Great update, and I wish you an amazing Valentine's Day with J!!!

~ nicole.

Couture Carrie said...

Fabulous selections, darling!
I especially love Cruel Intentions!

xoxox,
CC

aren said...

Notting Hill and Alex and Emma would have been good selections as well.

Love Cruel Intentions.

I'm pretty serious about my tetris, but you know. ;)

Elisa, Croatia said...

Great choices. I have seen most of them, my top favs, Titanic, and the notebook...

kimvee said...

I love Pretty Woman, The Notebook, Sex and the City: The movie, Love Actually, Dirty Dancing and Bridget Jones Diary! I don't think I could ever watch P.S. I love you because then it would make me feel so depressed hahaha but I do like Cruel Intentions too even though that was sad as well ahahah

Blicious said...

OMG I loved P.S. I love you but I cried through the whole movie. so sad but so amazing! i love LOVE! :)

xoxo

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Great picks!! I love all of these movies!

Andy said...

There are some great movies on there!

AMIT said...

Wow great post and in mood for Valentine Day..

lingerie today

I'm Lindsay! said...

Great list! I'm posting something similar today! My all-time favorite is the notebook.

Desiree said...

Cruel Intentions. Hands down one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE movies! Ahh Sebastian + Annette </3

Tracy-Girl said...

I definitely agree with you about all of these! Especially Sex & The City & Dirty Dancing. I am really looking forward to some good chick flicks to be released... its been a while since we've had one!

Hanako66 said...

these are some great ones...i hope that you are doing better my dear!

Anna said...

p.s. i love you is one of my very very favorites!! (but to be honest, 90% of this list has my heart forever!)

love your blog & SO happy you found me, so i could find you! : )

thanks for your thoughts on love! so beautiful & true!
xoxo

Eddie said...

I lurved Cruel Intentions, When Harry Met Sally and I especially lurved The Notebook. While I don't usually watch these types of movies (they're girly), I must say that the three of these gems captured my heart from beginning to end.

While I consider love a strange part of life (I haven't met my lobster yet) I do recognize and appreciate all of the magnanimous beauty that comes along with it.

There is another movie that mysteriously found its way into my heart. Not sure if you've seen it just yet, but this movie stands for what I believe is the definition of true love: Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind.

Besitos para siempre...

Eddie

happy moments said...

these are my favourite movies too. I cannot agree more. Your blog is fantastic