Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Very Overdue Christmas Update...And I Miss You All!

Hellooo, from the worst blogger in the history of the world.
I have absolutely no excuse - I miss you all, and I promise, promise, my New Years resolution is to be more on top of blogging...I promise you though, I think of you all often (and mention you to J often - even though I still haven't showed him my blog!).

So, in case anyone was just on pins and needles waiting for this...my surprise for J was a very long and complicated story, that resulted in us breaking up. Just kidding! (We celebrated 8 months yesterday, yayy!).

He had originally told me to get to his house as early as possible...which then changed to "by 4:30,"...which was pushed back to "don't come over until I text you and say it's okay." My mind was blank. 100% blank. I had no idea what this nut was planning to do - all I could think was that he had waited until the last possible minute, and couldn't get a reservation at the restaurant he wanted. Or that he forgot to buy a gift, and was rushing out to the mall to pick something out. I was wrong on all counts.
I arrived at his house at 6:30 (after being harassed by my parents the entire time with the fun questions, "When are you leaving?"..."What is he doing for you?"..."What are your guesses?" ..."I don't know" was the appropriate response for each question).
As I stepped out of my car (which is fixed, PTL!), he popped out of the front door, informing me that was the way I should walk into his house (usually I walk around to the side, which is how everyone goes in...the front door usually goes unused), and I walked into J's version of an Italian restaurant. He had spent the whole day cooking my favorites - really yummy bruschetta; tomato, basil and mozzarella; garlic bread; salad with goat cheese; and penne with vodka sauce! He had red wine already poured, pulled my seat out for me...it was per-fecttt!

DSCI2228

And if that wasn't enough, he also bought me one of those journey diamond necklaces...except this one looks like a little heart with the diamonds going around one of the edges. Seriously, the prettiest thing I have ever seen, and so thoughtful and sweet. A+ job, J! I don't know if anything could top it!

Not the besttt picture of me obviously, but you can kinddd of make out the necklace at least! =)
DSCI2231

Such a cutie.
DSCI2232

And then, right when I thought it was all over, he surprised me with homemade red velvet cupcakes and delicious Mochi, which is one of my favorite desserts EVER! If you've never had it, you can buy it in Trader Joe's in a million flavors (I like mango best), and they're ice cream balls covered in dough...it is DELICIOUS!

DSCI2235

Then Christmas came and went so quickly! We had Christmas with my dad's side of the family a week before Christmas, which made it seem like the celebration was going on for the entire week.

Cute bow, dad.
DSCI2226

Obviously if you were to see my brother and I, and our two cousins together you would think we were related ;) And yes, my brother wore that sweatshirt the entire day. (Plus, I think his hair makes my point that Jersey Shore can just appeal to all!...Gross).
DSCI2221

I had absolutely no idea what to ask anyone to get me for Christmas - I really have everything that I want, and even though I need things like pots and pans and bedding, I didn't really want to open up a nice big box of pans for my apartment (which inevitably will be burned by my roommate who has scorched every pot we have...and she's the one getting married in June!).

I ended up with some fun stuff though... my mom bought me some nice Le Creuset pans, which I haven't used yet, but I'm loving the fun, bright colors! My mom absolutely SWEARS by these, and said I should start my collection soon. Like I said, I really didn't get too much else... a really pretty yoga mat (it's gray with pink flowers on it), a medicine ball (I actually asked for this haha), these really cute Badgley Mischka blue sequined flats, clothes for student teaching (which really makes me feel like an adult), TONS of OPI nail polish in really fun colors, jewelry, and a pair of those new Reebok sneakers that are supposed to tone your legs...we'll see how that works out, haha.

One really fun thing I got for Christmas (and a great reason for having a blog!) is that I was contacted by a company selling different furniture and home accessories, asking if I wanted to try out one of their products and write a review! So, in the spirit of the holidays, and my borderline alcoholic family (just kidding, sorry mom and dad!), I selected this cocktail shaker.
Let me tell you - this little stainless steel shaker is absolutely brilliant. It blends drinks perfectly - even my grandfather, who always takes his martinis stirred, not shaken, complimented me on my fabulous skills. I hope my parents realize that now that I have this, they have thrown $38,000 a year down the drain on my college tuition, because now all I want to do is make fun drinks for everyone!

As for now, the tree is down, the decorations are in boxes waiting to be brought back up to the attic, though there is the soft light of the Christmas lights flickering into my window from the lights outside, so I feel like the holidays aren't completely over yet =)

I hope all of you had lovely holidays...I'm looking forward to catching up on blogs, and getting better at posting/commenting!

How did you all spend the holiday - and New Years Eve?! I can't WAIT to hear all about it! xox

P.S. I finally got a Twitter...I'm still getting used to it, but if you want to follow me, you can here.

Currently listening to: The Bravery - Slow Poison

21 comments:

HiFashion said...

Sounds like you had a great christmas!! And that was such a sweet thing of J to do. The necklace is gorgerous.
Hope you have a wonderful new year.

Belle said...

Such cute pictures!! Sounds like you had a fabulous christmas! xxx

Andy said...

glad you had a wonderful Christmas!

Couture Carrie said...

Awwww what a sweetheart! Looks and sounds like you had a lovely Christmas :)

Happy New Year, darling Allison!

xoxox,
CC

New England Girl said...

I am SO happy you had such a lovely holiday. :)
J gets super extra bonus points for putting in all of that effort. The little "restaurant" looks absolutely perfect, the meal looks delicious and I LOVE the necklace he got you. You look so pretty in it! :)
I am also super, super happy you got twitter... but you know that already. :)

Good luck with the drink making. I would be the same way as you. :) I would probably become an alcoholic too, haha!
Miss you, girlie! So glad you're doing well. :)
xoxoxox.

Carol said...

Looks like a wonderful Christmas and your pictures are super cute - as always! I started following you on Twitter too. I am never on, but I still have an account. I only update it about once a month. Hope your start to 2010 has been great!

Morgane said...

happy new year !!! it seems you have a great holidays time
nice pics and kind boyfriend by the way!

▲my• said...

how adoreable!
and mochi? one of my all-time favorite deserts! yum!

happy new year allison!

Nicole Linette said...

Hey Allison! Remember how we used to e-mail each other? It was probably I who carelessly forgot to reply, but I miss it! Haha but it's wonderful to hear from you via post :D

Your holiday sounded spectacular. J is ... perfect. What every male should aspire to be as a boyfriend, whether they currently are or not!! :D Aww all the work he put in for the dinner, and your favorite dessert! I could go on all day, but it's completely adorable.

Christmas with your family seemed like a blast, too. Can you post a picture of those flats :)? Haha, and that's so great about the drink mixer!! I was contacted once by a furniture company, but I'm quite suspicious about outside sources contacting bloggers.. ha, looks like I should have taken advantage of the opportunity :D

I'll post about my New Year's Eve soon, though otherwise it was a successful and all-to-fast vacation. So, cheers to 2010 -- may it be everything you wish for and more!

~ nicole.

Desiree said...

Congrats on the anniversary, it all sounded lovely♥ Penne, red wine, and red velvet cupcakes for dessert?? I'd say your b/f is a winner in my book! Perfection. :)

wreckedstellar said...

Aww, that's soo adorable your bf cooked you dinner!! I love that so much more than going out!

Jocelyn said...

sounds like a perfect evening! I am so glad that you two had your 8 month mark! that's great, and I always hate coming up with gifts for my parents, it is so hard! Becuase they already have everything, but I feel like I owe them so much for paying for college and everything... But I hope that you had a great new years. I have been getting behind on blogging as well. It's one of my resolutions as well to fix that... haha.

Cheers to 2010!

-joce

Barb said...

Hi Allison,

It looks like Christmas was spectacular for you. Love the pictures.
Thank you for leaving such a sweet comment. My son had a wonderful birthday and was thrilled when I read the blog comments to him.

hugs,
Barb

Nahl said...

What a keeper your boy is! When you said you guys broke up, I really did go like,"whaaat" for a second there!
Haha, anyway the picture of your dad with the bow is sooo cute! It reminds me of the time when I came home and saw my dad watching the video of "Hakuna Matata" on Youtube!

A PIECE OF PASSION said...

You look so cute :)

xoxo

A PIECE OF PASSION

Iva said...

SO CUTE!! I am glad you had such a fabulous time!! ;) Happy 2010!!

Hanako66 said...

he's a keeper:)

i'm so glad that your holidays were so nice!

happy new year!

Savvy Gal said...

such cute adorable pictures. i finally got the tree down and decor put away today. wishing you the best in 2010. xo

Olive said...

Aww, thank you my dear :).
I agree, it isn't the best idea to set strict resolutions, ones that tend to fall short and disappoint. It's a little easier to stick to something that you can continually work towards, getting a little better as you go. More blogging sounds like an amazing resolution, because I truly adore your posts! Oohh 3 levels of books :), I cannot wait until I venture the streets of NYC.

Hahaha, awe :D, that is such a sweet story about your Christmas with J. I think the best part is how worried you were in the beginning; thinking he had waited until the last minute to get anything, but then he surprised you super romantically =)! That was such a wonderful idea on his part, cooking all of your favorites, making everything look so nice. That necklace is beautiful too!
I've never had Mochi, but it sounds delicious.
It sounds like you had a good Christmas with your family as well. The photos are pretty epic, your brother's sweater is awesome, hahah :D. Hopefully your roommate doesn't destroy your pretty new pans! Just kidding :).

Have a fantastic week,
♥ Olive

yiqin; said...

The food looks super good :D

Kristin said...

Awwww, what a perfectly romantic holiday!!