Sunday, December 20, 2009

NYC, Jersey Shore, Snowed In: The Start to a Perfect Break!

I cannot even believe that I've been home for a whole week and a half! Grades finally came in, so now I can breathe a little bit more. AND, I finally got my student teaching placement...which is not even close to the district where I wanted to be, but the teacher I'm going to be with seems really sweet so far, so I'm still a mix of nerves/excitement.

Another thing I absolutely cannot believe is that Christmas is right around the corner... less than a week away! This is ridiculously stressful, considering I have like 0 shopping done. And, I'm a little without a car right now because last Sunday there was a ridiculous ice storm here... which I guess I didn't get the memo about because my smart self thought it was just rain... so anyway, there was a bittt of a slip and my car completely spun out, I hit into a huge rock on someone's property...so my cute little car is now at the shop so I've been attempting to drive my mom's huge SUV, which is NOT easy, and somehow I don't think I'm mall-ready yet! (And it's so high off the ground - I don't know how she does it!).

And of course, last night there was a HUGE snowstorm here, with like, 10 inches of snow, maybe more! So there went a totally different shopping day. It ended up being super fun though - J came and slept over, and then we went to my aunt's house today for Christmas on my side of the family. I swear, I'm becoming the laziest person alive, because seriously, all we did was watch movies and TV, and play Wii (which I guess counts as exercise, right?...Is it really saying terrible things about my fitness level when my arm is really sore from Wii baseball and tennis?).

When my brother got up this morning to head out to his car, he found that it was completely iced shut. Crazyyy! I think he was so frustrated he was about to cut a hole in the roof and hop in through that, but luckily he got it all straightened out =)

I think the worst part was that Pat goes to school in South Carolina, so he's just not used to this weather anymore!
pat's car

It took a good 35 minutes of battling with the doors before he got in. J and I were standing by one of the front windows just watching. I know, what a life.
iced over

So since I haven't been able to really go to the mall, would it be completely disgusting to admit that I've been watching Jersey Shore like a fiend? Because really, what says Christmas more than a bunch of guidos* living down in Seaside. (Hopefully I am living proof that not all Jersey girls are trashy hoes with fake Chanel earrings the size of my fist.) But still, the self proclaimed "The Situation", the Jersey shore drinking game (my brother says he almost died playing it with his friends down at school), and all the fake tans.... It's perfect, perfect. Okay, not perfect, more like the trashiest thing I have ever seen in my life, but I love it, and I promise you, the shore is actually like that, especially Seaside, which is where they all stay.
My dad came home from work the other day and actually got pissed with me, because he did not understand how I could watch a show that is just beyond trashy and then asked "What is a Snooki anyway and why did it get punched in the face? I got an update on it today on my homepage."
[* I do not mean guido in a derogatory sense, which I'm sure you all know. My Papa Tony (grandfather) FREAKED out when my brother said that in front of him today.]

alg_mtv_jersey-shore

Dear dad,
This is a Snooki.
Love, Ally:
mtv-jersey-shore

My big and super fun news was that on Thursday, J and I headed to the city for his Christmas present, which was dinner out at a really fun restaurant, cupcakes at Magnolia Bakery (because really, is it possible for me to go to the city and not gorge on cupcakes?), and I bought tickets to see Mary Poppins on Broadway! The fabulous Tracy told me how absolutely perfect Mary Poppins was, and she was completely right (she went to see it with her hubby and said it was just fabulous!). It was amazing, and the perfect first Broadway show for J to ever see!

Of course, Thursday was probably the coldest day I could have picked to go into the city (seriously, it was 10 degrees during the day, and it had to be 0 degrees at night! Freezingg!), but still, it was so much fun (and gave me such an excuse to pop into Starbucks three times for coffee - I told you guys, those red cups make me so happy! And the Caramel Brulee latte is beyond delicious).

When the show got out at 10:30 it was so unbearable to walk (even though we only needed to go four blocks away), so we hopped in a cab, and I crossed my fingers the entire time hoping we'd get the Cash Cab, but no such luck. I hold out hope every time I go into the city that I'll get picked up by the Cash Cab. Wishful thinking, much?

Dinner at Cinema, this super fun restaurant on E. 45th, where they show silent movies on the wall!

DSCI2196

Yummy pomme frites...I could have eaten pounds of these.
DSCI2195

DSCI2194

I always eat the bottom of these babies first so I can completely enjoy the PERFECT frosting =)
DSCI2209

Apparently J likes Mary Poppins more than he likes me =)
DSCI2204

Now tomorrow, J has his big Christmas surprise for me! So fun. I'm like itching with anticipation though because I have absolutely NO ideas what is going on, which drives me crazyyy!

How is everyone else doing with the snow? And holiday shopping? And fun holiday parties? I want to hear it ALL! I miss and love you all =)

And please, do any of you watch Jersey Shore? I swear, I will feel 1 million times less trashy if one of you who I love so dearly watches trashy tv like moi ;)

Currently: Watching Clueless. I guess in memory of Brittany Murphy. So, so sad.

29 comments:

Carol said...

You are sooo cute!! I love that picture with Mary Poppins! Stay warm in that snowstorm!

Hanako66 said...

what a perfect date! i can't wait to hear what your surprise is!!!

i'm just not into jersey shore...i tried to watch it once, but it was kind of torture for me, though i can see the humor!

•¦Amy¦• said...

I so wish it would snow here. I'm thinking I should convince my family to drive up to Flagg for Christmas.

Those cupcakes look amazing!

Have a wonderful break Allison!

A PIECE OF PASSION said...

You both look so cute in the last picture!

We have a lot of snow in Sweden but I like it, we will get a white Christmas for sure :)

xoxo

A PIECE OF PASSION

New England Girl said...

You two are SO adorable together. :) I'm happy you enjoyed your time together in the city. Mary Poppins sounds like a ton of fun, and I am so jealous of those heavenly looking cupcakes. Send some up this way!
I have to admit, I have watched an episode of two of The Jersey Shore... it is so sickeningly funny. I can't stand too much of it, so I haven't gotten into it much; it is certainly reality tv at its trashiest. :)

I hope you're doing well, hun! I'm not going to say much here, as I'm just about to send you an email! :) xoxox.

HiFashion said...

Your pictures are so cute. I love te one of you guys and Mary Poppins.

We've got a lot of snow here as well and all our cars look like that one. I'm not even attempting to drive and my bros car doesn't seem to like this weather at all.

Congrats on getting your student teacher placement.

antoniasrego said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Keith said...

Hey Allison. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. I always enjoy hearing from you. Great photos. They were great to see. I hope you will have a fantastic Christmas. Cheers!

Morgane said...

hi
nice freezy post ! it seems you had a perfect time in the city ! Holidays are the best times !

Jamie Jenson said...

Good luck with student teaching! I didn't have a very good student teaching experience (horrible cooperating teacher), but I stuck with it and have been a high school English teacher for six years. I love it. Very rewarding profession!

Kristin said...

That looks like one heckuva fabulous celebration. I'm dying to try those cupcakes. You are not alone in your Jersey Shore addiction. I can't stop watching it. Ahhhhhhhh

Couture Carrie said...

Hello, Allison darling! Sounds like you are having a wonderful holiday at home, despite the cold!

Congrats on your student teacher placement ~ you are going to be amazing :)

And btw those cupcakes are making me positively drool too ~ I eat them the same way!
Merry Christmas, love!

xoxox,
CC

P.S. Love Clueless ~ RIP BM :(

LiLu said...

Please, please tell me you played my Jersey Shore drinking game...

Iva said...

looks like a great time!! those cupcakes look delish!! ;) have a great day!

Sweet Nothings said...

god i love jersey shore. trainwreck. you cant turn away.

Savvy Gal said...

i adore fries too but am trying to cut down. it is the best with herbs and white truffle oil. : )

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

eek! looks like you're having so much fun, i want ot be snow in too!

Keith said...

Hey there. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my Tuesday post on my Dino Lounge blog. Glad you enjoyed those Sammy ads. If you haven't checked it out yet, I've got my last Christmas post up now. I'll be taking a break until after the New Year rolls in. Take care. Season's Greetings to you and yours!

Nahl said...

heyyy I'm new to your blog!
I love what I see uptil now-esp the header-soo cute.
Can't wait to read more...
have a merry christmas! :)
xx

Nicole Linette said...

Haha, the perfect anecdote of holiday chaos :) but sounds like an outrageous and memorable time, nonetheless!

I hope you're having a lovely holiday!!
peace&love,
nicole.

Eddie said...

OMG. It feels like an eternity since I've chatted with my lovely. How have you been my darling?

Sorry about that terrible storm which caused that vehicle faux pas. I'm just glad you didn't injure yourself in the process.

I had myself a most splendiferous day here in lil' old Brooklyn with family and friends. I ate like an Ethiopian at a buffet and I laughed like a hyena. Good times.

I especially enjoyed the pics you posted of you and J and the food looked absolutely delish. So glad you guys are still in love. It's heart-warming indeed.

Besitos para siempre and Merry Christmas my Princess.

Olive said...

Merry (late) Christmas Allison :)! I haven't caught up with you in forever.
Isn't it just annoying and awkward trying to drive someone else's car? The other day I couldn't get my car to start, so I was forced to take my mom's car to Ralph Lauren-- it just felt so weird.
Hah, I can't say I've ever really seen Jersey Shore; but that's because I barely watch television as it is. If it makes you feel any better, my dad was..? Hahah. I walked in and saw the program on, and I asked him what in the world he was watching(as some crazed girl was having a freak out :P), and he told me. I would probably find it entertaining as well if I sat down to watch it, so don't feel bad.
Aw, your evening in the city seems like it was a great time :). I would love to find myself in the Cash Cab! I have to confess though, I have yet to go to the city, so being there at all, in any cab, would be an exciting experience, hahah.
Adorable pictures! Especially the Mary Poppins one, haha =]. Those cupcakes look scrumptious!
I hope you're having a grand holiday, and that your surprise from J was fantastic.

♥ Olive

Ashley said...

RIP Brittany Murphy, she will forever live on as Ty. I can definitely relate with you when it comes to Wii sports, pretty sad the amound of sweat and exhaustion I experience when playing. But so much fun. Hope you are enjoying your holidays, girl!

Tracy-Girl said...

So so so glad you enjoyed Marry Poppins! We had so much fun when we went. So glad you had fun in NYC, too... oh, and Magnolia Bakery is to die for! I cannot believe all of the ice on the cars, that is insane! We never have to deal with that where I am from. Hope you were able to get all of your shopping done and had a fabulous Christmas!

Elizabeth Marie said...

You guys are so so cute! And LOL at your dad asking what a Snooki is...it's a fair question, right haha.

I am addicted to that show. Sucks me in, it's amazing.

I miss you lovey!

Startup Wife said...

YOu are freaking genius to eat your cupcakes that way. I'm always SO sad when I eat the frosting part first and wish I'd saved it.

Keith said...

Happy New Year! I hope you've been having a great holiday season. Mine has been wonderful except for my cable modem dying on me. I just did a new post with a big announcement in it. I hope you'll check it out. Thanks. Take care. Have a fantastic holiday weekend. Cheers!

aren said...

I guess being a resident from Michigan, it has provided me with snow storm experiences. XD I remember waking up a morning two days ago, and my dad's windows were COVERED in ice. And it took nearly an hour of scraping off the ice in order to get in. D: Your meal looked delicious. I really especially like the cupcakes, but then again, cupcakes are my favorite food group. Mary Poppins on BROADWAY? I'm insanely jealous! I hope you have had a excellent Christmas and New Year. Hope to hear back from you?

Desiree said...

I too have a serious cupcake addiction. They make me happy :) I would like to confess another addiction of mine...The Jersey Shore! Lol. Your right though, between the giant fake chanel earrings, 'J-Wow's' natty fake her, 'Snookies' orange skin, and 'The situation'...well I'm at a loss of words for the entire spectacle it is, but it's def comical and calls for a lot of laughs!