Friday, September 25, 2009

Healthy (and delicious) Snacking!

Over the summer, I was really proud of all the hard work I put into an exercise routine, and relatively healthy eating. I worked really hard to cut down on the sweets (didn't always happen so well ALL of the time, thanks PMS), get in enough servings of fruits and vegetables, and eat things that would make me feel good about myself, and that I knew was beneficial to me in the future (as in foods rich with Omega-3, or antioxidants).

Luckily for me, I'm a huge fan of fruits and veggies, so eating healthy wasn't really that difficult, especially when my mom has a massive garden (seriously, it takes over 1/3 of our big property), where there are vegetables all over the place. Inside my house, it is filled with fresh, organic fruits my mom picks up at Whole Foods or a farmer's market. It's pretty easy to stay on track and be healthy when you're surrounded by options. I finally hit my ideal weight, and lost ALL of the freshman 15 (or 20) that I gained the first two years of college.

Enter my return to college. All of a sudden, I'm on my own, without a huge budget to allow me to buy every single fruit available at Whole Foods, and the dining commons at my school offering nothing but foods ridden with high fat, sugar, or sodium (no joke, I went to get a quesedilla made with low-fat cheese the other day...the sodium on it was 1,000 mg!). The healthy options are minimal - even when you go up to get vegetables (like green beans or carrots, etc) they are literally doused in butter, draining any nutritional value right out of it. Since being back at school, my weight has just constantly been fluctuating, which is okay, I'm not so worried about the weight aspect (okay, a little), but it's more the fact that my school is constantly serving processed foods, or foods that are really, truly bad for you.

There is a salad bar, but I've been back at school now since August 25, and they have had the same options laying out on the salad bar since we got here... I don't know about all of you, but I need some variety with my salads, so I don't get sick of it!

Anyway, as always when I don't really know what to do, I turn to Ms. Martha Stewart. I went onto her website this morning, just for inspiration, and the first thing on the homepage that I laid my eyes on was "Healthy Snacks." Perfect!

These all look so unbelievably delicious (which I think is really important when you're trying to eat better...no one wants to eat something that tastes like cardboard!) and are all incredibly healthy as well. I know for me, when I want a snack, I go for the ice cream, or toast with Nutella, or something that might satisfy a craving, but leaves me feeling a little gross after.

If you click on the title of all these snacks, it will take you to the recipe so you can make these fabulous snacks yourself!

Double Dark Chocolate and Ginger Biscotti

84 calories, 1g protein, 4g fat, 10g carbs, 1g fiber
0207_darkchcolate3_xl

Papaya Berry Yogurt Parfaits

164 calories, 5g protein, 1g fat, 38g carbs, 5g fiber
mb_0907_pyaparfait_xl

Vegetable Salsa

51 calories, 2g protein, 2g fat, 8g carbs, 3g fiber
ba101579_sep05_chtny_xl

Berry "Pizza" (I think this looks a-mazinggg!)
bas_jul06_berry_pizza_xl

Spiced-Up Hummus
187 calories, 13g fat, 14g carbs, 5g protein
mbd_feb07_hummus_xl

Banana Yogurt Smoothie

245 calories, 9g protein, 4g fat, 49g carbs, 4g fiber
b0406_0506_flax2_xl

Four-Berry Salad
bas_jul06_berry_salad_xl

Sun-Dried Tomato and Artichoke Dip

sundriedtomatodip

Mango Salsa

bd104026_0908_mango_salsa_xl

Blueberry Breakfast Shake

a99211_0402_shake_xl

Pita Pizza
(I think this looks too good for words!)
a98755_0701_pizza_xl

Frozen Lemonade

a97120_hqcb_froz_lemonade_xl

What are your favorite healthy snacks? (And what are your favorite UNHEALTHY snacks...because lets face it...we all need to indulge!).

Any fun weekend plans?
Ah, today I'm surprising J and taking him to the MuteMath concert in Philly (they're his favorite band). I have EVERY detail planned, 5:30 p.m. restaurant reservations at this really, really cute restaurant. I'm super excited! He knows we're going somewhereeee but doesn't know where we're going, or what we're doing! I love surprises! =)

Currently watching: He's Just Not That Into You with my roommate.

16 comments:

Mrs. W said...

I LOVE Mango Salsa! And the berry pizza looks delicious. Im definitely going to try some of these! Thanks for the helpful post : )

Laurel said...

The berry pizza.... wow that looks amazing!!!!

Carol said...

Oh my gosh thank you for passing these along! Hummas is such a great healthy snack, especailly when you eat it with veggies and I'm excited to try a spiced-up version! Also, is your blog header new? I'm loving it! Have a great weekend my dear!

Lily G. said...

yumyumyum!

Desiree said...

I can definetly relate to the whole work out/ (try) to eat healthy concept. I'm really big on freah yogurt parfaits and humus is a great snack. My biggest weakness throughout any diet routine is --CHOCOLATE anything! When I'm craving it I have it!I just try to limit myself portion wise.

Great Post..I'm suddenly very hungry! ;)

molly said...

mmmmmmm i was full when i started reading this but those beautiful pictures and descriptions made me ravenous!
and i can't wait for you to wear that sweater either, i'm so glad it went to a sweetheart like you!

Elizabeth Marie said...

The mango salsa looks so good! Everything does actually!

This isn't as gourmet but my bestie turned me onto choc rice cakes with peanut butter on top. SO GOOD, girl, I'm not even joking!

Have so much fun tonight! You are such a great girlfriend!

Love you lady! XO

yiqin; said...

I so need to try all these snacks.

zupu said...

Such a great post dear, I got hungry!!! Fortunately I'm a great fan of fruits, so I eat them a lot but also I have a huge sweet tooth so I indulge ice cream, chocolate, brioche.. I even sometimes change my breakfast Activia yoghurt to Kinder "Fetta al latte" with my morning espresso.. hmm.. I should cut down sugar..

Keith said...

Hey Allison. Great photos. All of those choices look very delicious. I'll have to try some of them. I need to lose some weight and get in shape. I'm always looking for ideas on food. Hope you're having a great weekend. Take care. Cheers!

Kristin said...

Give me that biscotti and a skinny vanilla latte and I'm in heaven! Hummus is one of my fav healthy snacks too. : )

beckyxoxo said...

oh my now i want to eat some food ! those pics make me so hungry . haha . and can't believe they're healthy because they look so delicious just like junk food . ahahah ! i should try eat well . i hate vegetables , but everyone has to eat vegetables right ? thanks for sharing this ! :D

oh your weekend sounds so great !

...::Mrs. Southern Bride::... said...

That all looks so wonderful! I love smoothies or veggie salsa for healthy snacks. :)

dapper kid said...

That pita pizza looks soooo good! And yum at the mango salsa. I have actually been trying to figure out how to keep up my good habits now that I'm back at school, it's hard work, but it's all worth it :)

Hmm my favourite unhealthy snack at the moment is to slice a banana diagonally, sprinkle it with sugar, grill it until caramelised and then eat with thick cream.

Hope you're having a lovely day :)

OceanDreams said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, all of that food looks just way to good and yummy! I hope you have fun on your surprise date, sounds like a lovely plan!

Jyun said...

Wow, what yummy creations. And DO NOT waste 20K on a Balmain jacket.