Mm, I can be quite self involved sometimes, so I absolutely love when people tag me in surveys so I have an excuse to talk about myself! (Just kidding, but I really do like doing these!). I especially love when others take on these same posts and write about themselves, because I really do enjoy learning more about all of you - even the very unconventional things :) It makes it a little more fun, and makes me feel like I 'know' you all better!
The fabulous Carol of Everyday Delights tagged me to share ten things about myself. Her list was so fabulous, and she and I have so much in common (down to the fact that we both owned/were obsessed with the same American Girl dolls, and our Mayflower relatives and genealogy obsessed mothers!).
1. Instead of gifts (though I do love gifts, don't get me wrong), I would rather do a special activity with someone, like go out for a really nice dinner, or go to a Broadway play or something. I like memories more than material things (though material things do have their place of course!).
2. My dad recently switched the TV/DVD player/cable box/DVR/stereo - everything - to one of those do everything universal remotes. I had to write out detailed instructions (including drawings) for my mom on how to use the remote to turn on the TV. She still doesn't quite understand it.
3. I got the opportunity to go to Uganda, Africa four years ago, and I dream of it every day and just long to get back there. It was both the saddest and most rewarding experience of my life.
4. I habitually check PerezHilton.com. I'm obsessed. And don't worry, I realize how trashy it is, but I just can't help myself.
5. Lately I've been eating pints upon pints of Trader Joe's non dairy, non fat raspberry sorbet. I can't stop - it is so unbelievably delicious! I justify it to myself, but I know when I get cellulite, it's all my own doing ;)
6. Every Wednesday night, I watch Top Chef with my dad. We started this tradition a few years ago, and have kept up the tradition. While I'm away at school, we still watch, and then call each other at 11 p.m. after the show is over to discuss it.
7. During Restaurant Week in NYC, my family goes into the city at least 7 times to participate in it. It is some of my favorite time spent with them, especially because we always head to Magnolia Bakery after every meal (even though dessert is included with the menu!). Estimated calories per day that week? I'm guessing 28,000 ;)
8. I absolutely love going to the beach at night. Something about just walking along the beach, listening to the waves crash, and having it not be unbearably hot is so peaceful and relaxing to me.
9. After my Nana died when I was 3, my Poppy (grandpa) bought a really gorgeous condo down in Wildwood, NJ (south Jersey, down the shore), so that our entire family could spend time together.
At first, everyone would go down for the month of August (since my aunts and uncles are schoolteachers - and my dad would go to work and then come down on the weekends). It has always been such a fun time of togetherness, and we still go down - 18 years after the fact (though now the time has decreased to 1-2 weeks).
At my fave restaurant down the shore last summer with Poppy, who encourages me to be ultra campy:
10. I absolutely LOVE to cook! My specialty is penne with vodka sauce. I can't lie, I make amazinggg vodka sauce :) I cooked it for J one night and he LOVED it (yay, success!) and have made it for a lot of family functions.
Next, the lovely Carrie of Couture Carrie invited all her readers to share things that make us happy. I got to thinking about my top nine current things that just make me break out into a big smile.
1. Good song rotation.
When I'm listening to Pandora, and I get like, a good 10 songs in a row that I just love... this puts such a massive smile on my face.
I think they are beyond gorgeous. My mom has huge, huge gardens all over the property, and out by our guest house, there are these gorgeous hydrangea bushes that are pink, blue, and this dark purpleish color. I've been taking loads of pictures of them (but I've yet to upload them - I'll do that soon!).
3. Sleeping in gorgeous lingerie.
This is a recent thing - before, I was always so scrubby going to bed. I'd wear like, an oversize tshirt that I got from running a 5k and hop into bed feeling comfortable, but not very attractive. My roommate and I were shopping back in April, and after wandering into Victoria's Secret and falling in love with their gorgeous sleepwear I picked up a few things. It has made me feel so gorgeous before climbing into bed at night! It's one of those little things I like to do for myself.
4. Pablo Neruda's poetry.
I think it's beyond sexy and filled with passion. Beyond that, it's just beautifully written. For example:
5. "The nook."
There is this one specific spot when I snuggle up with J that is so cozy and comfortable I dubbed it "the nook." I feel like nothing can bother me when I'm snuggled up in "the nook." Just thinking about it makes me smile.
6. This commercial.
It makes me want to cry big, happy tears. Plus, I've loved this song for-ev-er.
7. Mr. Darcy.
I'm currently reading Pride & Prejudice for the bagillionth time, and I swear, Mr. Darcy makes me swoon every time. Any man who will say, "In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
8. Driving with the windows down on a warm day, with a Starbucks nonfat iced caramel macchiato in the cupholder close by (or in this case a frappucino).
9. Elton John's song "Tiny Dancer."
I don't know why, but this song just makes me break out into a smile (and sing along, loudlyyy) whenever I hear it.
And to the fabulous Nicole at Loquaciousness, I promise I will get to your awesome survey soon - I didn't want to be TOO self involved though with all these fabulous tags! ;)
I'd like to tag ALL of you to do this - I'd love, love, love to see what makes you happy/find out more about you all!
Any fun weekend plans for you all?
Images a combo of my own, from a Google search, and the lingerie picture if from Victoriassecret.com
Currently watching: The Hand That Rocks the Cradle. My brother has never seen it, and is in for quiteeee a treat :) If you haven't seen it and like thrillers, I think it's fabulous. Super creepy, but fabulous.
Who Doesn’t Love a Little Bling?
2 hours ago