Monday, July 20, 2009

A Little Tradition.

I absolutely love being in cozy living rooms. In my house (which is not the same case with many members of my own family where some rooms remain museum like and completely untouched!), every room is meant to be sat in, to be lived in, and enjoyed. Because of that, I have a penchant for fun, but classic looking living rooms.

I've always thought that when it came to decorating my own house, I'd be a lot more modern with fun, bright colors, but looking through House Beautiful's website, I think I'm more of a classic kind of gal. I'm seriously dreaming of graduating, getting my own place, and decorating it any which way I please :) I think that these pictures will stay in a permanent inspiration folder for me to revert back to when the time comes!

I'm a big fan of a little pop of color, lots and lots of windows/natural light (good for the environment too ;), and of course, an amazing, amazing fireplace (which, don't worry, I know most likelyyy won't happen with my first apartment).

3-cozyisquiet-familyroom-1207-xlg

7-coastal-chic-family-room-dec0707_xlg-4602929

white-family-room-0106_xlg-40789189

white-family-room-0806_xlg-40177046

white-blue-family-room-0606_xlg-6479738

6-living-room-xlg-1148785

soft-&-pretty-living-room-xlg-31597687

soaring-living-room-xlg-74528413

san-francisco-living-room-xlg-46831154

luxe-living-room-setting-xlg-94634267

I love this mix of modern and traditional:
traditional-meets-modern-living-room-xlg-73360243

Favorites/thoughts?

I hope you're all doing wonderfully! And thank you all for your heart felt comments about my dilemma with T - I have a lottt to think about with it all! You're all so, so sweet and I just adore you <3

Currently watching: The Golden Girls - because deep down, I think I'm a 75 year old woman, and I have no shame in admitting this ;)


All images from House Beautiful.

19 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm in love with the blue and yellow room because it totally reminds me of something my mom would design and that makes me feel cozy!

Lily G. said...

These rooms are all fabulous. I love the color palettes.

Carol said...

Loving all of these, especially the third one down!

Kayla said...

All these rooms are fabulous. I can't wait till I get a place of my own.

Elizabeth Marie said...

I would be a happy camper in any of these rooms!

You're watching the Golden Girls? Could you be any cuter?! XO

Keith said...

Hey Allison. Great photos. I love them all. I'm not sure I have a favorite. They all look so amazing. I hope you are doing well. I wish you a great week. Cheers!

Hanako66 said...

these are all beautiful! I grew up in a home that had a living room I was not allowed to sit in unless we had company...I vowed that my house would be completely open to both children and dogs!!!

Nicole Linette said...

Pictures 1, 6, and your last one are so extravagant!! When I was younger and dreamed of being a fashion designer, I also was torn with being an interior designer because room decor and the idea of creating living spaces that beautiful is just so attractive to me! Haha, I can't wait to own a house one day. The only problem is, it'd probably become ugly with all the ideas and aesthetics that I adore! I told one of my best friends that I'd decorate for her too :)

Have fun with Golden Girls =:D!

peace&love,
nicole.

Couture Carrie said...

Gorgeous spaces, darling A! Love the zebra ottoman, the overstuffed patterned armchairs, and the entire last room, especially those ghost end tables!

xoxox,
CC

dapper kid said...

These really are beautiful. I am definitely a traditional living room kind of man. I have often given thought to how I would decorate my own.

I suppose the flooring would be dark reclaimed wood, with a thick and comfortable rug spreading across much for the centre. On either side of the fireplace would be deep wooden shelves, lined with books, leather bound journals and a few bits and pieces on display from travelling.

The coffee table would be a reclaimed wooden one, something with character and warmth, that would then bear the imprint of my own life. I have a deep seated unease with the 3 piece matching suite, and as such my furniture would be varied. A beat up brown leather sofa, that I could sink into to, or curl up upon with a wool blanket would be a must. Then perhaps two armchairs, ones that were either colourful and modern, or brocade velvet and traditional.

The long sash windows would let in a flood of natural light, yet there would still be collections of candles for burning, and incense for times when I would be so inclined. A smaller table, hand carved would accompany one of the more comfortable arm chairs. A chair that would perhaps be located in proximity to the fireplace, a grand leather with curved roof. The table would serve for holding my latest book, and perhaps even a pipe, once I was at the grandfather stage of my life.

The walls would have art done by family members, and only a few family photographs upon the fireplace mantle (I prefer keeping family photographs for the upper floors). There would about the room colourful cushions and memorabilia from around the world. A room with character, charm and a story to tell. It would be inviting and lived in. A true representation of myself hopefully.

I really do hope you are having a beautiful day dear :)

TOMERea said...

thanks for the comment :D
and I love thr first pic, fabulous !

Gina said...

i totally agree about the natural light - i love how much brighter a room is with it.
all these rooms are so cute!

La Couturier said...

I'm much like you - I'm torn between the classic look vs. the modern, chic, colorful thing! (: These rooms are beautiful!

bisous,
La C.

Michelle said...

This is exactly the same taste I have! The exposed beams are so beautiful in a few of these.

Couture Carrie said...

P.S. Hope you have a fabulous day (and weekend!) too, darling! Thank you for your thoughtful comment!

xoxox,
CC

Nicole Linette said...

Hey Allison, I tagged you to do a survey on my blog whenever you have the chance :)

have a fantastic weekend!

dapper kid said...

Hope you're having a lovely day dear :)

Eddie said...

Allison my love, I adore your taste. I too am more of a classic, colonial-type guy myself. The living rooms you chose are exquisite and warm. I personally enjoy the photos with traces of dark wood around the room (frames, tables, etc...).

My sweetz, when you do get your house and you're ready to lace the rooms with your inner-interior designing flair, call a brother. I would love to be a part of it all. I'm so not good at it, so I need to learn as much as possible. I'm telling you, I defy everything that is gay (yet I'm a gay man).

Love ya more than cheez-whiz on pita bread...

Besos, peace and Latin love

Savvy Mode SG said...

i like light neutral colors for decor but using colorful pillows, vases, and flowers for accents.

ps. enjoyed reading your post about yourself. bf has one of those all inclusive remote which I still can't figure out. : )