Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Cause Me (More) Pain, Hedi Slimane!

On this lazy, lazy day when I'm not working due to a pretty intense eye infection - "Don't stare at screens like the computer or television, and don't wear your contacts for 10 days," informed my opthamologist this morning. While I love to read, am I supposed to just read with no computer or television for ten days? I don't think so (said in a Kevin McAllister ala Home Alone voice) - I figured that catching up on all of your lovely blogs before 2 a.m. would be a fabulous time to get some down time, clearly disregarding my doctor's orders. Whoops.

As I've posted about before, I LOVE Hedi Slimane and his beautiful take on photography and men's fashion. Even when I don't really understand why a photographer chose to shoot a certain subject, I can applaud the risk it takes to think outside of the box, or can capture so much emotion through something unexpected.

Since Slimane is constantly updating his website, these are some of my newer favorites!

57522_litlans5

87512_cf003551

25041_vf5v4550

35981_33571

64963_vf5v4530

35350_14643fvo09ehddqz30copy

66901_cf002965

88118_parisien12

99015_13823dio05chd

Mmm, drooling over these Louboutins!
90386_cf003978

80719_cf000032portrait

86134_vf5v4518

99778_litlans3

Thoughts? Which one is your favorite (or least favorite for that matter!) ?

Also, I'd like to thank both Carrie at Couture Carrie and Keith at Dino Lounge for passing me on this fabulous award. Thank you both very much - I adore your blogs as well and can see why you both won this award to begin with!
from the wonderful Couture Carrie

The second award is from Amy at My Pointe of View, who passed on the Honest Blog Award. For this one, I have to write ten honest things about myself, so hereee we go :)

honest+scrap+award

1. J has only been gone for five days, and I miss him so, so much. I'm aware this may sound pathetic, but we went from spending almost every day this summer for 10+ hours together, so it's becoming quite the adjustment.

2. I hadn't been running in forever, and went on Sunday for the first time in a while. I thought that I could just do as much as I could when I'm in my stride, and failed miserably, barely covering 2 miles without feeling like my shins were going to explode and my quads were going to melt into pieces. I'm still a little sore, but I'm pushing through.

3. Ever since I got my new Nikon camera, I've been obsessed with taking pictures with it whenever I can. I wish it was more compact and I could just stick it in my purse, but obviously that's not the point of it : )

4. When I first started blogging, there was this nervousness about it all. The what ifs of what if no one ever read my blog, or identified what I was saying. But I have simply been overwhelmed by the number of fabulous people I have gotten to know through their beautiful words, or the inspiration I have found through so many of your posts. It's wonderful :)

5. When I was in seventh grade, I started to create a "wedding binder" with a collection of dresses, locations, flowers, cakes, etc. that I was interested in. It cracks me up to look through this binder now and some of the tacky dresess that I loved back in the day.

6. I love Anthony Bourdain and the Travel Channel. I think he's super funny - anyone who can cook and who is sarcastic is okay in my book.

7. I really dream of moving to New York and living in the Village (East), surrounded by hipsters and hippies, travelling to the West Village to indulge in Magnolia Bakery cupcakes whenever I can. Yes, please.

8. I've always wanted to be a contestant on Survivor, but I could not do the backstabbing. My brother on the other hand, Mr. Born Manipulator, would be fantastic on it.

9. Thai food is something I think I could eat every day. Either that or sushi. Yum, yum. I would be the size of a house, but it just might be worth it!

10. I love reality shows, from the good - like Top Chef and Project Runway, to the awful, like Paris Hilton's BFF. I have no shame, and enjoy the really awful ones with something equally awful - Kraft Mac & Cheese :)

I'd like to pass both these awards off to some of my favorite blogs:

Bella at Vintage Lollipops
Elizabeth at It's Unbeweavable!
Sophie at Kicking Couture
Hanako66 at Through the Looking Glass
Nicole at Loquaciousness
Jocelyn at Pieces of Jocelyn
Lindsay at La Belle Vie
Eddie at The Maverick Life
Dapper Kid at Dapper Kid
Fhen at Little Miss Fhenny

And, two of my new favorites:
Aubrey at Made You Blush
Brunch at Saks at Brunch at Saks

I hope you're all enjoying the summer weather!

Currently listening to: James Taylor - Your Smiling Face

20 comments:

Hanako66 said...

Thank you so much...I think this is the best tag/award!

the 6th photo down (girl in a white dress) is my fav, but they are all lovely!

I started the 30 day shred on Monday and it is kicking my bum....I have been so lazy as of late and I could eat thai and sushi every day but would prob get mercury poisoning!!

Elizabeth Marie said...

Thank you my dear!! You know you're one of my absolute faves too!! yay!

I love the one of the guy doing a backbend...or maybe break dancing? So cool!!

Reality shows, Anthony Bourdain (swoon), NYC...yes yes yes!!!!

I hope your eye gets better! When that happened to me, I totally read and was on the computer too haha. XOXO!!

amynicola_ox said...

those photos are absolutely wonderful allison!! those shoes are definitely droolworthy - i am in <3 with cls i want more already! reality shows are just so entertaining, i must admit they are my weakness!

La Couturier said...

Congrats on the award & I loved reading the tag!

And I do love Hedi Slimane's photgraphy; very raw!

bisous,
La C.

Keith said...

Hey Allison. You are very welcome about the award. You deserve it. I love your blog. I'm glad you enjoy mine.

Sorry to hear about your eye infection. Get well soon. I wish you the best.

I love those photos. They were all fantastic.

michellehendra said...

of course the silver louboutin!! aww.. i'm craving for louboutins!! :)))

the photos are wonderful and i hope you'll get better soon, the eye infection i mean :))

xx

yiqin; said...

Awww yeah def one of the best photographers.

zupu said...

I like the fourth pic the most.

I adore sushi, also making it myself but my love to pasta, gnocchi & cheeses stops me from eating it so often..

My favorite reality shows include also Project Runway, then the Hills, the City, ANTM and ok, I too have to admit that I sometimes watch Paris Hilton BBF.. I used to love Simple Life!!! I miss seeing Nicole on the screen..

•¦Amy¦• said...

I love the photo of the boy with messy hair, in the leather jacket, smoking a ciggarete. <3

Mmmm. Thai food, and sushi, and cupcakes you're making me so very hungry.
I've been trying to subtley convince my mom into taking me to Sprinkles, and it just isn't working! I so want either a coconut or lemon cupcake right now, and a stroll through American Apparel (for it's right next door)

dapper kid said...

I spend faaaaar too much time looking through Hedi's photographs! That fourth photograph of the guy bending back is amazing, and the one with the wings really does make me smile :)

Congratulations on the award dear! Awww #1 is so adorable. And I still get nervous every time I post. Haha and the wedding binder sounds like it sound be an absolute mine of memories and cringe worthy inspirations! Thank you so, so much for passing the award my way dear, and I hope your eye feels better soooon :)

Lily G. said...

Lovely images. I love Christian Louboutin!!

liliesandgrapes.blogspot.com

Couture Carrie said...

You should totally go on Survivor!

Love all these pics, especially the one of Sasha!

Congrats on your awards, darling ~ well-deserved!

xoxox,
CC

La Couturier said...

Haha I love your description of "non cracked Amy Winehouse"; it actually is exactly that!

bisous,
La C.

Nicole Linette said...

I love the photography posts of yours. A few of those male models have been in Marc by Marc Jacobs ads, with their drowsy eyes and lithe figures. And dang, Mr. Slimane did fabulous again, I loved all the photos!

Thank you so very much for the award! I'm flattered, seriously, because your blog is amazing; a must-read for me. Project Runway and Top Chef are insanely wonderful (though I wish the former was still on Bravo and didn't move to Lifetime..), and now I've discovered a show called NYC Prep on Bravo that I love too haha! And don't feel bad about the running.. you definitely gotta work your way into it after a hiatus, and the effort truly does count. Eye infections are the worse, but I hope it goes away soon!

peace&love,
nicole.

Eddie said...

"I've always wanted to be a contestant on Survivor, but I could not do the backstabbing. My brother on the other hand, Mr. Born Manipulator, would be fantastic on it..."

I absolutely adored your list and I'm flattered that you shared it with me (in my sick little head, I'm your only fan and you love only me). Wow, I'm not used to getting such a classy tag. I'm going to get on it...

I enjoy you Allison. If I were straight, we would've made a wonderful couple...

Peace and Latin love

eles3 said...

great!

kimvee said...

I love the photos on your banner :)
Ohmygosh, I can't believe Anna Sui is designing a collection for Target! AHHH Two of my favorite things Anna Sui + Gossip Girl, I want to try on everything! haha Hope you are having a wonderful summer!

♥Aubrey said...

Oh MY oh My!!! I guess you could say i'm "Fashionably Late" on accepting these two awards ;) Thank you soooo much. I'm loving the pic of the librarian...it's funny because i get called such at work when i wear my glasses. Wish i looked that hawt!
Have a fabulous weekend girlie &hearts.
P.S. You're one of my favs too.

dapper kid said...

Thank you so, so much for the lovely comment dear. Hope you're having an absolutely beautiful weekend dear :)

Jocelyn said...

why thank you for the award! I am honored! I love the photos- They are gorgeous- sorry about missing J! Just keep yourself busy, that's the best advice I can give!

Hope you had an amazing weekend Alison!

-joce