Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Oscar Sunday.

First and foremost, I want to thank you all so much for your kind words and support. It's never easy opening up and sharing something so personal and close, but all of your sweet words and best wishes (and compliments too!) made me so glad that I did. Although I know none of you personally, I think you are all remarkable people :)

So, now on to a less personal/intense subject. While I'm way behind my fellow bloggers on this, but the Oscars were tres magnifique. I loved how they had all the previous Oscar winners announce the nominees for the categories - I thought that was such a great touch!

Highlights:
*Slumdog Millionaire winning EIGHT Oscars!

*Moi correctly choosing EVERY SINGLE winner down to even the most obscure of categories.

*Heath Ledger winning the posthumous Oscar for his role as the Joker
Heath Ledger's parents and sister

*Sean Penn and Dustin Lance Black's speeches that spoke to how important equality is. Black's speech was beautiful (he won best original screenplay for writing Milk), and made me want to get out and crusade for gay rights like my boy Harvey Milk :)

*This sketch (it was one of my favorite things of the entire evening!):


And of course, the fashion! I was pleasantly surprised by the huge number of beautiful gowns that were chosen (with the exception of a few). These were a few of the best for me:

My girl Kate Winslet in Yves St. Laurent. I swear, I think she is one of the classiest, most beautiful women in Hollywood. She's perfection.
30m

The gorgeous Freida Pinto in John Galliano...Lindsay at La Belle Vie said it best when she mentioned that Freida Pinto is her girl crush. I completely agree - she's gorgeous and has been picking the most fantastic dresses for all the awards shows :)
John galliano

Marissa Tomei, it is about effing time, girl! Her other choices for the award shows have been heinous, so I was so pleased with this gorgeous Atelier Versace gown she wore. Work it, girl!
atelier versace

The Slumdog Millionaire team looking very sharp - Christian Coulson, Danny Boyle (in Louis Vuitton) and Simon Beaufoy:
christian coulson danny boyle in lv and simonbeaufoy

Best supporting actress winner Penelope Cruz in vintage Balmain. Gorgeous!
vintage Balmain

Robin Wright Penn in Monique Lhullier and Sean Penn in Giorgio Armani:
monique lhullier; giorgio armani

Natalie Portman in Rodarte (who apparently hooked up with that guy who is Edward Cullen in those Twilight movies at an Oscar party later that night!). I loooove the color of this dress. She looks like she's channeling Audrey Hepburn.
rodarte

The perfect couple - Brad Pitt in Tom Ford and Angelina Jolie in Elie Saab. I loved Angelina's simple choice of jewelry. Absolutely gorgeous.
tom ford, elie saab

Evan Rachel Wood in Elie Saab Couture...she looks like she is a big bitch, but it's still a gorgeous dress!:
elie saab haute couture

Amy Adams in Carolina Herrera:
carolina herrera

I LOVED Sarah Jessica Parker's Christian Dior Haute Couture dress. It was beautiful, made her boobs look MASSIVE, and she still looks refined and classy.
christian dior haute couture

Taraji P. Henson dazzled in Roberto Cavalli. She is absolutely beautiful.
taraji p henson in roberto cavalli

Was I bummed that James Franco brought his new stupid girlfriend to the Oscars? Obvi. But they're both still hot. (And hello, I sound 14 again).
james franco and ahna riley

Yay Emile Hirsch for being so freaking hot (in Armani) and for wearing the white knot - which is symbolic of the belief in equality in marriage. Yum.
giorgio armani + white knot

Leslie Mann looked gorgeous in this cap sleeved Pamella Roland dress.
leslie mann pamella roland

NO NO NO NO:
Jessica Biel, what the eff are you thinking in this Prada dress? Oh, honey. So wrong on so many levels.
prada

Miley Cyrus is gross, not age appropriate, and she's tacky and annoying.
zuhair murad

P.S. Ever since the Oscars ended (with thoughts of Slumdog Millionaire still in my head) I have become obsessed with this Oscar winning (!) song, and my roommate and I are trying our hardest to learn the dance to it...seriously, it's beautiful:



Who were your favorites of the evening?! (And least favorites for that matter!)

All images from Style.com

18 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I have been anxiously awaiting this post from you, just so you know Allison! I laughed out loud with a few of your comments, Miley Cyrus is a nitwit.

I thought my favorite dress was Taraji's! I liked Anne Hathaway's gown also. No way Portman hooked up with the vampire? How weird... I don't think he is atractive he looks like a creeper!

I thought that Dustin Lance Black's speech was amazing! It's hard to believe how young he is. I loved the shots of him after Penn won best Actor. He looked so proud!

Thanks for always commenting on my blog you're always so nice! And as a fellow blogger I'm always here for ya! :)

ps. That song has been stuck in my head also!

•¦Amy¦• said...

Loved the sketch with James Franco! It was very funny.

I seriously cried when Heath got the oscar...I'm such a baby.

But really, my favorite part of the whole event was Hugh Jackman and that amazing musical number. I was like...wow? Really? This is cool! Ack and when Beyonce (sp?) came out and sang "At Last" during that whole thing. Again, I cried. Every time I hear her sing that song it reminds me of watching Obama and Michelle take their first dance as President and First Lady.

Anyways...Great post.

Lindsay said...

I totally agree about Miley! Why was she even there? So annoying!

Gina said...

Slumdog definitely was the star of the night - they deserved it, too.
The dresses were so pretty this year!!! I can't even decide which one was my favorite... but I definetly was impressed by Tilda Swinton's getup... very, er, unique.

Keith said...

I was really happy with all the winners, even though I was pulling for Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler. I was very happy for Kate Winslet and Penelope Cruz. Both are incredibly gorgeous and talented. They looked so beautiful that night. I loved all the pictures you posted. Those are some really great images. I was thrilled for Slumdog Millionaire even though I have yet to see it.

Fashion Pulse said...

Thank you for your comment, LDV.
Your blog is great, and I added you on Fashion Pulse List.
You can check and Fashion Moment
http://fashionmoment.blogspot.com/
Have a great day,

FM/FP

MJ. said...

Wow!! What a great summary of it!!
But of course, my fav was Penelope Cruz, not just because she's Spanish :P but also for her moving speech (loved also Dustin Lance Black's) and of course her dress!!! It's absolutely incredible!!!

Seriously?? Portman and Pattinson?? Isn't he too young for her??lol!

Oh, and about ur previous post...I couln't read it before since I wasn't home but I wanted to say that now, after having read it all I want u to know that u're gorgeous the way u are and not just in the outside, but also in the inside. Even though I don't know u personally, from ur blog I can see u've got a great personality and u're really mature for ur age...some experiences just make us stronger and u're a really strong young woman now!!!

XX

dapper kid said...

I LOVED SJP, and Freida and Marissa looked absolutely stunning!! Oh oh and I linked you dear :) I can't believe that I hadn't already!

Couture Carrie said...

What a fabulous review, darling! I totally agree with your picks, especially Penelope Cruz - she was my favorite!
And Miley really did mess up on that gown!

xoxox,
CC

Hanako66 said...

great post! Sarah Jessica Parker was my fav of the evening. Natalie Portman looked amazing too! Overall, it was a great show and the fashions did not disapoint!

Kicking couture said...

i have to say my fave was natalie portman! the colour and embellishment were amazing.

miley, eh, i actually quite liked it just not on her! haha

robert pattinson look particulary yummy!

anyone else dislike beyonce?

Crazy Eddie said...

Luscious post darling. I haven't tuned in to the boring ole Oscars in quite some time but this year it was magnetic and I watched it in its entirety.

Your comments on the fashion had me chuckling and the photos you chose to post were dazzling. You have an exquisite taste miss thang.

Kate was flawless wasn't she? I was exceptionally proud of her when she won. As for James Franco, I think he's one of the hottest mutha effas I've seen in some time. I used to watch him in a series called Freaks and Geeks. That was the first time I saw James. I've been a fan ever since.

SEAN PENN frickin' rocks. He captured the essence of Harvey. What a talent.

Besos

molly said...

looove the video of james franco and seth rogen!
and frieda pinto is so stunning, i cant stand it - i love the colour of gown she chose, sublime

and the comment was my pleasure...i really meant it!

Fashion Pulse said...

Thank you for your comment dear!
Fab blog, I just added you, too!

FM/FP

captivateme said...

I can't believe you called the winners and got all of them right--that's amazing :-) I completely agree with your pics...gotta love Marisa Tomei and Kate Winslet though. They were absolutely flawless!

Nicole Linette said...

Hahaha I was disappointed with James Franco having a date/girlfriend, but there's no helping that! :D

I agree with you on all your commentary on the fashion of that evening.. Frieda Pinto was gorgeous and Miley Cyrus looked ridiculous, but Natalie Portman hooked up with Rob Pattinson?! XD I'm definitely Googling that.

And thanks for posting the "Jai Ho" dance! I was curious about it ever since you mentioned that in your comment. The kids are so cute :)

peace&lovee.

kimvee said...

LOL Miley Cyrus is so annoying & that dress is not appropriate for her age HAHA and that dress Jessica Biel is wearing looks like the designer thought "Oh! I think I'll just stuff this piece of fabric here and let it hang, finished!" HAHAHA

ZuKi said...

I totally adore Penelope's dress! She looks like a real winner! Also I like Rachel Wood's ES dress and J.Parker's Dior dress. You made a great job gathering and commenting them;)