Monday, February 2, 2009

The Last 10 Minutes of Being Twenty.

I am currently in the last one hour and ten minutes of being twenty years old. Amidst the excitement of finally being 21 and being able to go to bars and clubs without a fake ID (which was used maybe 3 times, because I'm a baby and get too paranoid about getting in trouble), I got to thinking that while there were absolutely some downs this year, I had some absolutely amazing times and learned a lot about myself.

So I thought, instead of thinking about all the rough times I went through, I'd rather count down my nine favorite times this year :) So again, I'm sorry for all you guys to have to read these, I just kind of want to get it all down and reflect on them.


1. My trip to Miami with R.
This trip was like, so last minute. She invited me about a week and a half before spring break to go with she, her father, and his girlfriend to Miami to stay with her cousins who have a house in Coconut Grove. I didn't think my parents would say yes, but they did, and so after my flight being delayed, and having to catch a 6 a.m. flight (aka being to LaGuardia by 4 a.m.), I arrived in sunny and beautiful Miami.
It was one of the best times I've ever had in my life. We went out to dinner every night in fantastic restaurants (R's cousins actually drove their boat to dinner one night!), ate gelato every night, tanned by the pool, and shopped a LOT. Also, I want to live in Miami.
miami1
miami boat


2. My birthday celebration with my family.
Unfortunately, last year my birthday fell on the Super Bowl, and my family always has an annual Super Bowl party at my house. But they still drove up to PA to spend my birthday with me, and take me to PF Chang's for lunch. It was just one of those times where we all joked around with each other, enjoyed delicious food, and just had a great time with each others company.
pf changs
patty and moi

3. NYC for E's play
My bff from high school E goes to NYU in the drama program. She invited me to her very first play called Women of Manhattan, so I brought two friends from school home with me to go into the city for the day with my family, grab dinner and see the play. It was really fun to see E graduate from the high school plays she had been a part of to something a bit more real.
nyc1

4. NYC Restaurant Week with mom and daddy.
Every year, New York City (and cities around the country) host restaurant week, where you can go to 5 star restaurants for a $35 prix fixe 3 course dinner.
This year, my family went every single day. We tried numerous restaurants, and visited some old favorites. On one warm summer afternoon, we ventured in to the city to head to Delmonico's, which is one of our favorites. It's an old steakhouse that has been around since the 1800's. The inside is really fun - it's all mahogany and has the appearance of one of those old gentlemen's clubs. And seriously, I'm not a huge red meat eater, but their steak is to DIE for!
Each time we went in, after dinner we headed to the West Village for some delicious Magnolia Bakery cupcakes (which are my addiction, as I've said before - if you get some, my favorite is the vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting).
It was another perfect, blissful evening with ideal weather and no conflict. Yay!
delmonicos
wvillage

5. I became more domesticated (which was not really one specific day, but many).
This year I decided that I would indulge more in my love of cooking. I made goals and followed through, especially during the summer when I swore I would learn how to make crabcakes for my dad's birthday (they're his favorite). So when we went up to our house on the Cape, I banished my dad to the TV room (to his regret obviously), and got to work.
The more I've been cooking, the more confident I've become, and I'm enjoying it a lot more too!

Please excuse how disgusting I look in this picture. It was 100,000 degrees, and I had no makeup on. But the crabcakes were gooooood (and I don't even like seafood!).
crabcakes

6. Babysitting this summer (I know, lame).
I love kids, I really do. And this summer I was fortunate enough to babysit for a wonderful family who kind of adopted me as a surrogate family member. They wanted to know what was going on in my life, things about my family, and were kind enough to work around my schedule. It really was an awesome experience (and definitely reaffirmed the fact that I want to teach/have kids some day!).
juju

7. Wildwood '08.
My dad's side of the family all went in on a fabulous Condo in Wildwood, NJ together. Every year since my Nanna died when I was three, we've headed down for family time. The tradition has grown less steady as we've all gotten older, and now we're lucky if we get down for a week, or even a weekend. My dad and I decided to head down without my mom and brother this year, to take advantage of the private beach our complex offers, as well as the four pools. It's also nice to just get away. It was an awesome time - it was just my dad, me, my Poppy (grandpa) and my Aunt Sue. We beached every day, laid out by the pool, went golfing one day, watched movies, and went out to fabulous dinners followed by ice cream at our favorite place.
I can't remember the last time I've had so much fun with my Poppy or my aunt.
poppy

8. Roommate Dinners.
My roommates and I vowed to spend quality time together more often, so we said that at least once a month we would go out to dinner - even if it was just to Applebees for half priced apps. One night, we ventured into Philly and headed to this fantastic restaurant called The Continental. It was just another one of those great times with friends, and lots of memories.
continental

9. Halloween '08.
Well, at around 7 p.m. on Halloween, when we all realized we had nothing to do, we decided to go trick or treating. This was quite the project since on my friend J actually had a costume (a guido, in case you can't quite tell what he is...), and we all had to pull from our closets to find things to wear. We decided on two Catholic school girls (since we had 2 plaid dresses and ribbons for hair), a hippie, a priest and a kitty cat (though he wanted to be a tiger). We headed out and met all the creepers in town (after wrongly guessing that C and I were Scottish dancing girls (?) and hearing we were in fact Catholic school girls, one very old man said "Oh, I've seen you girls in a video before"). We ended the night with a massive candy trading session, elementary school style. God, I'm cringing with how lame we are, I really am.
halloween1
friends
me and r


Now that I look at this, I sound unbelievably lame. Most of my memories involve food in some way! :)

When I first started this blog, I was so nervous - I didn't think anyone would want to read what I had to say, or give me the time of day. But then starting with Jocelyn, Amy and Tom, and then spreading to the rest of you darlings, you really make me so happy! I appreciate all your comments and feedback so much, and every day I can't wait to see what you have all said on your blogs as well.
You're so, so wonderful.


P.S. Sorry the pictures are kind of cropped...I have no idea how to make them bigger so that no one gets cut out! If anyone knows and wants to help, that would be great :)

xo

20 comments:

amynicola_ox said...

aw thank you for the comment on my blog, and happy earlybirthday! you got the last metro chic , same as myself today, i was so thankful ha! have a great day tomorrow!

Savvy Mode SG said...

happy 21... you look great in every pic.

Jessica said...

yay! happy birthday! earlier my computer wouldn't let me go to your page and I was so worried you were gone! haha, I gave a shout out to you on my blog bc I was confused! hope you have a wonderful bday!

yiqin; said...

Ah thanks for sharing these photos! Happy birthday! :D

OhDearLeah said...

happy 21st!
brilliant blog
xxx

Keith said...

Hey there. It sounds like you had some great moments in 2008. I think all of them are some amazing things to cherish. Happy Birthday. I hope all your birthday wishes come true. Enjoy turning 21. I wish you the best. Cheers!

kimvee said...

Hi Allison. Thank you for the sweet comment :) You could always use photoshop to make your pictures smaller. I have a flickr account and you could use flickr to upload your photos. Flickr allows you to change the size & appearance of the photo. I hope that helps. hehe*

By the way, is it your birthday today?! Happy 21st Birthday! :) Drink responsibly & don't mix drinks. I learned that the hard way. haha Also, those crab cakes look good, I've always wanted to cook crab cakes. I absolutely love that green/orange dress in one of your pictures. Hope you enjoy your birthday! :)

~kimvee

Couture Carrie said...

Woo hoo! Fab pics - and happy birthday, darling!

xoxox,
CC

dapper kid said...

Happy happy happy happy birthdaaaaaaaaaay!!! Sorry its a day late. What absolutely wonderful memories :) Yay for family moments! And I absolutely love kids, I have looked forward to the idea of being a dad since I was old enough to walk lol.

•¦Amy¦• said...

Happy Birthday!

Great pictures :]

La Couturier said...

happy birthday, darling! :) those photos are so fun :)

xoxo,
La C.

Lindsay said...

happy birthday! being 21 is soo much fun!

ps thanks for letting me know about the url change!

amynicola_ox said...

allison!
hope you had a great bday! I read your post on Gran Turino and that totally made me want to see it, so thanks for the reccomendation,and I can't wait to see Slumdog Millionaire, I just love a goodmovie.`xo

closeup said...

haaaaappy birthday!!!
thanks for sharing these lovely pics with us :)
kisskiss

closeup said...

thanks for commenting :)
and I have to say it again: the pics are thaat cute!!

Bella said...

Yay for 21!!!! The pics are too adorable, you look gorgeous.

I'm sending a BIG BIG Happy Birthday your way, and hope all your wishes came true!!

xxx

Aren said...

allison, i would love to go on a spur of the moment vacation like you had in miami. living in the present. i love pf changs! though it's sad cos they don't have any locations here. i always suggest we eat it whenever i visit my aunt in the carolinas. i love the magnolia bakery as well! i always love the range of frosting and sprinkle combinations. can't you just resize them using the html coding you use to post for pictures? then just adjust the width and length. happy belated birthday! - aren

Mrs. Ruby said...

Happy (belated) birthday!!! Enjoy every ounce of this year. Twenty-one is by far one of the best years ever!
CHEERS! :)

Nicole Linette said...

Happy belated Birthday!! &Hearts; 21, that's wonderful, and you've seem to have had many amazing memories.

Spur of the moment Miami excursion? Sign me up! And you, with all your friends and family, it's really great.
I saw Delmonico's on the Travel Channel for the US's great steak eateries! :D I'd love to go there someday... and explore all the culinary treasures of NYC!

Hope your day was the best.
peace&love, nicole.

Blogger said...

I have just downloaded iStripper, so I can have the hottest virtual strippers on my taskbar.