Saturday, January 24, 2009

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff.

On Friday, I left my unbelievably tense dorm room for a night with my favorite second family, the O's. Why were things so tense? Honestly, I wish I knew. My roommate and I have been having our ups and downs all year - we're two very different people, with two very different backgrounds, goals, and lifestyles, which obviously has been waring us thin. She's more of a recluse, while I have been enjoying meeting new people this year, and developing new friendships with girls on our hall especially. My roommate has absolutely no desire to branch out and meet new people, and also does not feel that she needs to be polite or nice to anyone she does not feel like pursuing a relationship with. So she's been horribly rude to my other friends - ignoring them when they come to hang out (and justifying it to herself by saying she does not need to speak to people she has no desire to pursue a relationship with), and completely isolating herself from anything we are all doing - then blowing up at me for not spending time with her.

Since my 21st birthday is coming up, I wanted to go out and do something with all my friends and not have to worry about some of them being underage. So I decided what I wanted to do was head to P.F. Chang's with a group of my 16 closest friends, where I could order some fun drinks, and my underage friends could drive after, and still sit and have a fun time. When I told A about this (or actually when she got the Facebook invite), she blew up, snapping that she hates P.F. Chang's because she hates Chinese food (though she's never tried it), so why would I have my birthday there?

So needless to say, the tension has just been escalating. I was so thankful that I had already made plans to spend last night with dear friends who knew (and still loved me) during my most awkward phases, and rebellious phases. They're a wonderful married couple who were my youth leaders from back in Jersey about five or six years ago, who actually moved to PA - only 20 minutes from my college! So I go there quite often to do laundry, hang out, and just unwind from the pressures of school. We always go out to dinner and then J (the wife, who I am unbelievably close to) and I will rent a movie, or go out and shop.

After delicious sushi last night, J and I headed to the movie theater to see Bride Wars at 7:35. Unfortuantely, we had read the times wrong, and Bride Wars started at 7:20, but was sold out anyway. She and I ended up seeing Slumdog Millionaire instead, and I am so, so happy that it ended up that way.


2987568494_abf8022a80

I was gripped by Slumdog Millionaire the minute the movie started, and found myself on edge the entire time. Not only was Anwar from Skins (one of my favorite television shows) the main character, but the story was perfect, the cinematography incredible - the use of color and movement was powerful. I would recommend this movie to absolutely anyone - it's amazing, and my new favorite movie. So if you have some spare time this weekend (or in the upcoming weeks) I would highly suggest watching Slumdog Millionaire. My next task is going to be to read the book, which my mom assures me is just as good as the movie. I firmly believe that this movie deserved to win every award it was given at the Golden Globes, and am excited to see how it will do at the Oscars! :)

Coming out of such a powerful movie, and witnessing some of the things that went on in it, I felt guilty for bitching and moaning about my petty situation with my roommate. It's funny how such trivial things can set us off sometimes, when there are so many worse things going on in the world. I definitely know I need to work on my perspective, and not sweat the small stuff!

I just needed an outlet - this seemed like the easiest way for now, so thank you for indulging me!

Have any of you seen Slumdog Millionaire? Thoughts?

I hope all of you had amazing weekends, with absolutely zero stress :)

11 comments:

closeup said...

nice post!
thanks for commenting you're always too cute :)

Tom's French Blog - Enjoy ! said...

Hang in there Allison - maybe your room mate has unknown pressures and it's affecting everything around her including her relationship with you.

yiqin; said...

The movie isnt out in Singapore yet :( I am dying to watch it already!

Girl next blog said...

I can't wait to see this film - I'm sure it's awesome.

xx

Nicole Linette said...

Don't worry about ranting, blogging is the perfect spot for it. That must be really frustrating especially if you're living with her. Hopefully she'll come around.

P.F. Chang's is amazing! I love the ambiance there, and the food of course. Happy Birthday by the way, 21 is a pivotal age :D

Haha, I always mention how I need to see movies, and it still hasn't happened yet. I simply never have the time (or the money!). I have heard the buzz for Slumdog Millionaire though, how it could be that sleeper flick like Little Miss Sunshine that makes a hit at the Oscars!

you have a great weekend, too.
peace&love, nicole.

Vertino Aleci said...

Hey! Came across your blog while I was searching for those who listed 'slumdog millionaire' as their favourite movie. Wrote a similar blog to yours on the movie, would be interesting to see your comments. I think it should definitely win a few Oscars!

Savvy Mode SG said...

fortunately for me, i had a wonderful roommate my first year in college. but, i know what you mean about roommates. i had a roommate whose mother is convinced having a tv in our room is bad so she just moved my stuff around when i was away for the weekend. perhaps you can talk to her?

kimvee said...

aww I'm sorry to read that you are having rough times with your roommate and friends. I'm sure everything will turn out well when you talk it out :)

I'm the same way, I let the smallest things get to me at times when other people have major issues or problems that are worst than mine. But it's always good to vent and let it all out :)

Ashley said...

I actually just made plans to see Slumdog Millionaire tomorrow, and then I clicked on your blog haha! Glad to hear you loved it, hope I will toooo =)

MJ. said...

Thanks!! U're so sweet!! :)
I haven't seen the movie yet though it was already in my plans! and even more now that u've recommended it!:)
I had a similar problem with my roomate 2 years ago and tried to have at least a good relationship but didn't work. She was faaar worst than A. So I hope u have better luck than I did! :)

XX

Couture Carrie said...

Roommates are tough - keep up the good work!

xoxox,
CC

P.S. My mom said the movie rocks but I have yet to see it...