Thursday, January 8, 2009

The 40's Revival.

Lately, since being so sick, I've had copious amounts of time on my hands. After watching one horrible Lifetime movie with my mom (her choice, I promise), probably everything on Bravo, and one terrible VH1 reality show, I decided it was time to go through my DVR recordings.
After filling up the DVR downstairs with huge amounts of Gossip Girl, [bad] reality television, and CSI, my dad decided enough was enough, and he had to get me my own DVR system for my room, which has been absolutely wonderful. I don't have to worry about there being no room for my mom's horrible taste in Lifetime movies that absolutely need to be recorded, and can just do my own thing.

While flipping through the extensive (as in 80% full) list of programs I recorded, I came across season 5 of Project Runway, and decided it had been entirely too long since I watched Tim Gunn, Michael Kors, Heidi Klum and Nina Garcia hash it out to aspiring designers. I knew how the season ends, and was happy with the results, but came into watching with new eyes.

I became obsessed with the designs, and the different elements of each individual designer. While I had originally watched the season, I just hated Kenley Collins with a passion, and couldn't really get over how terrible I thought she was while critiquing her designs with friends and family.

While rewatching (which perhaps was brought on by me being under the influence of antibiotics and medication), I became fascinated with Kenley's designs, and really appreciated her talent (though I still think she's a pretty big bitch!).

For those of you who haven't watched, Collins was critiqued numerous times for her designs resembling that of other designers - for which of course, she always had a bitchy comeback absolutely insisting she never followed other designers and just did her own thing.

Kenley's design for a wedding dress challenge:
USA-FASHION/

The Alexander McQueen dress that Michael Kors said was identical in style to Kenley's:
McQueen

What do you think? Pure coincidence, or was Kenley definitely inspired by McQueen's design?

I came to the conclusion that, hate her or not, the girl can design, and her concept is fantastic! She handpaints a great deal of her designs, and she herself looks like a modern day Bettie Page (with a little more clothing). Her personal style is very much reflected in her designs, with her intricate headpieces and 40's inspired style.

A lot of the designs were said to have been inspired by Alice in Wonderland, and while looking at the designs now, I can definitely see that being a concept.

Kenley

Fashion Project Runway Finale



Design your own look, outfit, and more by purchasing clothes online.
Wholesale clothing is a great way to find fashionable pieces to enhance or stylize for an affordable price!


Kenley

82790456

pr_episode_502_pic_16

82355176AR010_Project_Runwa

82790959

82791172

82355180ML018_Project_Runwa


Thoughts?
And who were some of your favorite Project Runway designers? (Either from the most current season, or seasons past?)


You can also buy clothing from Kenley Collins (including fun headpieces!) here.



Images from a Google image search.

9 comments:

Shannon said...

Hey. =)
You have a great blog...i love the name and your banner.
x

kb said...

I loved kenley.
I especially loved the burned coffee filter dress in the beginning.

•¦Amy¦• said...

I've actually never seen an episode of Project Runway...which is crazy 'cause I love fashion.

Hmm. I do see extreme similarities between Kenley's Wedding gown design and McQueen's...I'd say there was quite a bit of inspiration. None the less, it's a great design. <3

Haha I know what you mean about bad Lifetime movies! One night my mom and I were both sick, my brother was spending the night at a friend's house and my dad was out of town for work, so we both piled in bed with some TV dinners and watched Lifetime movies. They're very bad! But for some reason you'll kepp watching? I don't know why...

Kicking couture girl said...

That wedding dress is to die for! I tend to clog up my parents sky + ( tivo from the UK) with the hills, super sweet 16's, SVU ( all though my parents like this programme too)and dog whispers haha

Lindsay said...

I loved her designs as well..not so much her lol..

Couture Carrie said...

I adooooore full-skirted dresses - beautiful post!

Feel better, darling :)

xoxox,
CC

Nicole Linette said...

I love Project Runway :D I thought Kenley was annoying, but her designs were so attractive for me. I don't know about her nearly-McQ-gown though, the original is quite inspiring. I liked Jerell a lot; and of course, Christian from Season 4!!
I hope you get better soon!

peace&love
nicole.

lacouturiernyc said...

i wasn't kenley's hugest fan, but i must admit that some of her pieces were ingenius!!

thank you for leaving the sweetest comments ever! :)

xoxo,
La C.

♥ fashion chalet said...

Aw :] you are so complimentary and sweet. Thank you.

The 40's were a great Era.

I hope the weekend is relaxing for you as well, love.

xxx